They call it the WOODOX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the "*We advise not to split elm, gum or sycamore with this tool unless under 12" long!*" :lol: I'd twist that damn thing like a pretzel.At least my 30yr old 15lb+ Sotz Monster Maul has never got stuck,not even once.If its a gnarly knotty twisted stump or something like Elm,it just bounces a few times then eventually busts through.Anything that bad now I either saw a kerf for a couple inches to help or use sledge/wedges to cut through those twisted fibers.

Why won't people realize, we don't need help splitting the straight-grained easy stuff, I can do that all day long, I don't need a four way wedge to save 15 seconds. Work on the tool that will split the knotted, twisted messes that you hit and hit until your soul is crushed (without having to pay for hydraulics)

Seems like something that naturally follows the lines of growth would be in order. I think that's called explosives...

That many swings for that few pieces. Aint worth bothering with here.

somebody is buying them out of stock in the 4 way dang :roll:

Loco Gringo said:
That many swings for that few pieces. Aint worth bothering with here.

Even after he split into 4ths he still needs to split the quarters. Id rather hit one round with the Fiskars 7-8 times.

Why am I seeing myself spending an hour trying to extricate this tool from a fresh cut 36" round of fir?

I spent a few minutes trying to think of something good to say.
Decided to say this: " "

he was using his maul backwards... the pointy end into the log would have been faster than this "tool"

I like the nail/stud on his splitting stump to hold the round in place. That's about all I liked.

I could easily see having to burn that wedge out of a round of really nasty elm or gum.

Can't watch the video because my computer is misbehaving, but a quick read down that list of helpful hints suggests that this is no miracle product.

If you have more than 3 knots in a log, you did not cut your wood correctly ---- and that's your fault!

Make sure that the face of the striking implement is flat. A rounded head may cause damage to the surface of the splitter.

Never seen a sledghammer with a flat face, they're all rounded slightly.

The WOODOXtm works best on logs under 18" long and a diameter under 18".

Thats what I split now, but loger. I don't need help with the 10" rounds with straight grains. I can do those with a freaking karate chop or just slamming them down on a hard surface and letting them break.

spacecowboyIV said:
Why won't people realize, we don't need help splitting the straight-grained easy stuff, I can do that all day long, I don't need a four way wedge to save 15 seconds. Work on the tool that will split the knotted, twisted messes that you hit and hit until your soul is crushed (without having to pay for hydraulics)

Just came in from splitting a nasty 25 inch crotch sugar maple spit one out of there around 90mph.....hydraulics can get a little funkeeee!

Geeze, I just got warmed up to the thought of buying a Fiskars x27 or whatever you call it! I can't see that thing working on anything that came from a real tree. Begreen you got it right, spend five minutes pounding into a big fir round and spend much longer digging it out. I have actually used a chainsaw to recover wedges!

Just another gimmick but some folks will like it no doubt and I'm happy for them. As for me, I'll stick to the hydraulics. A lot less swinging to do and nothing gets stuck either. As far as that goes, I don't sweat a whole lot when using the hydraulics either (but I might if I had to do it horizontally).

PT Barnum said what????? I'll bet that thing's hard on saw chain when you gotta cut it out of the nasty round too. A C

Thanks for posting this. Always like to see new things. But the amount of swings he took and the time is longer than I could have split a log that large with my little ole manual hydraulic splitter - granted I would only have split it in half but once I do that its pretty easy to split it into smaller pieces with one swing of my axe and then I'm not swinging an 8lbs maul and tiring myself out. I'll pass but cheers to entrepreneurs everywhere!

That thing is not on my wish list. But, I wish the guy all the best. Oh, and this.....................................

Backwoods Savage said:
Just another gimmick but some folks will like it no doubt and I'm happy for them. As for me, I'll stick to the hydraulics. A lot less swinging to do and nothing gets stuck either. As far as that goes, I don't sweat a whole lot when using the hydraulics either (but I might if I had to do it horizontally).

I'm with you Dennis, best investment i'v made is my splitter, that's after 20 something yrs of swinging a maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.