They have pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
debinri said:
Home Depot doesn't deliver though right?? I don't have a truck...

Yes HD will deliver....it's either $55 or $60 flat fee per delivery, for as much as you buy of anything, even combinations of things.

ilovemystove said:
You are right. I looked at the bag also and it clearly says "Hard wood" Yet the Red fir according to what i read is a "hard soft wood" lol makes no sense. So its part hard soft wood and part hard wood which makes it? a medimum hard wood? :snake: lol
Some "hardwoods" are soft and vice versa (balsa wood is a "hardwood" but yew & red fir are hard softwoods :) There's a lot of overlap in the classification but Red Fir (and its near relative the Noble Fir) is considered a hardwood.

DiggerJim said:
.... There's a lot of overlap in the classification but Red Fir (and its near relative the Noble Fir) is considered a hardwood.

Sorry to get technical with you Digger, but Red Fir (as are ALL coniferous trees), is a Softwood.

ANY tree that has broad leaves (not needles) is a Hardwood.

So any pellet that has "Red fir and Oak" is a combination pellet.

CT and Pellets. It's crazy here in CT. I found someone trying to sell pellets at $8.99 a bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maynard farm in Coventry, CT. Almost everywhere in CT is over $350 a ton. Are these companies are out of there mind!!!! Just a few years ago, I was buying pellets at $169 a ton. Give me a break. Pellet rapers!!!!!!

macman said:
DiggerJim said:
.... There's a lot of overlap in the classification but Red Fir (and its near relative the Noble Fir) is considered a hardwood.

Sorry to get technical with you Digger, but Red Fir (as are ALL coniferous trees), is a Softwood.

Correct Mac.

For the record. ALL leave bearing trees are hardwood and ALL needle bearing trees are softwood . NO exceptions regardless of density. Many softwoods have more BTU than some hardwoods.

Tis the start of the season - bought some (Columbus, OH) for $4.99/bag at Tractor Supply. Also seen Lowes has them, but a bit higher.

coffee said:
Tis the start of the season - bought some (Columbus, OH) for $4.99/bag at Tractor Supply. Also seen Lowes has them, but a bit higher.

Just curious, does your Tractor Supply offer a per ton price discount?

Baston8005 said:
CT and Pellets. It's crazy here in CT. I found someone trying to sell pellets at $8.99 a bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maynard farm in Coventry, CT. Almost everywhere in CT is over $350 a ton. Are these companies are out of there mind!!!! Just a few years ago, I was buying pellets at $169 a ton. Give me a break. Pellet rapers!!!!!!

OMG! I looked on Craig's list and seen some bastard trying to sell a ton for SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!! I put an ad right next to his telling him what i thought of him! He deleted the ad. Its bad here on the Island. People are buying them from Lowe's and Home depot and trying to **** people. I guess unfortunately it's the "American way" Wish we could go back to a time where people actually looked out for there neighbors rather then trying to **** them.

macman said:
DiggerJim said:

You are technically correct (softwoods are missing the water carrying channels that hardwoods have). However, it is generally accepted in the flooring business that Red Fir is a hardwood (as in hardwood flooring). It's not an unreasonable stretch to extend that to pellets - especially if they're made from sawdust from a hardwood flooring operation that is using both Oak and Red Fir. It's an awful lot like the technical difference between Kleenex and facial tissues (does anyone use them on their face? shouldn't they be called nose tissues?). To the layman, the difference is not material (you have to be looking at the wood under a microscope to tell).

If you allow yourself to get worked up over this one without getting equally incensed by purchasing other commodities like gas (which isn't - it's a liquid and it's properly called gasoline) or white-gas fuel for your Coleman stove (which is not a gas nor gasoline but rather Naphtha, a petroleum ether) or vegetables (like tomatoes) that are actually fruits or any of the hundreds of other things where common usage is different from the technically correct distinction; you're being just a tad hypocritical.

(Not to mention that the whole hardwood/softwood pellet debate is silly due to the generally higher BTU content of softwood pellets.)

bungalobob said:
Driving down the Berlin Turnpike today in CT and saw-$349.00 a ton, not including delivery. Can't describe how that makes me feel. Why is it that CT has some of the most outrageous prices, when you can sidestep a state or two and find them under 275.00 and as low as 250.00 a ton. It has to be the greed of the local distributors cause they are all getting these pellets from the same sources as the neighboring states. Pathetic to think how they treat potential long term customers. Got mine in June for 279.00 a ton, and for right now that will be source till they try and gouge the customer as well. Nothing worse than being put over a barrel.

Try Pellet Direct in Oxford MA. They deliver to CT

http://www.pelletsdirect.com/

Being a woodworker I'd call Red Fir a softwood.

But to be technically correct. The bag does state Hardwood contents. Compared to marshmallows Red fir is hard.

Kind of like the playground set I bought for my kids. Package claimed support posts were "Redwood" They were....they were painted red.

FYI: Late last week Island Heart in Middletown RI had Green Supreme pellets on display out front for $309/ton. Also Ash-a Way in N. Dartmouth, Ma had same deal. They are the same company.

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.