Thin Tar!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that should get all the tar out of the first bit of pipe but im wondering what the top looks like if the bottom looks like that? But what I was saying is once your that hot, cut the air back so that you have that increased draft. But yea my windows would be open as well!

You would think at those temps the cats would be hot to run but I guess with not so dry wood it cool back down.

i would think those temps would allow your cats to fire off, and allow you to reduce the air to it and keep going, but if your draft is that bad and wood is not totally dry you will have them stall on you and stop burning. If this is your case you will get the tar creosote your talking about. Like another guy said your could put more pipe ontop of yours, if you can reduce the top 5 feet to 6"s that would be even better. This should help with your draft.

Oh Great more money out:(

Just got stove pipe 12" up 500* 18" 450* stove top 450* but just as soon as I closed the bypass the temp starts dropping! Man this is so aggravating! The cats still have not fired off... It is windy and the temp outside is 41* wind chill is 35* .

Now the stove top is 440* and pipe is at 300*.

I think we have lift off the cats are glowing stove top at 450* pipe at 12" at 350* and 18" at 300

never mind on the cats. Stove top is at 400* and pipe is at 200*

I think we have lift off the cats are glowing stove top at 450* pipe at 12" at 350* and 18" at 300
Where can you see the cat glowing...through the hole where the bypass rod goes through? That's where I can see it on the Buck 91 (and the Country Flame BBF.)

You can take off the cat shield shown in this pic if you question the cat lighting off and do not have a probe to monitor it.

dsc_0054-jpg.97299

Status
Not open for further replies.