1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. dhungy

    dhungy Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Loc:
    Fingerlakes
    Another high temp tape issue!

    So after purchasing and using the wrong tape

    http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_237724-56131-148068_4294806305_4294937087_?productId=3077865&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Duct+HVAC+Tape_4294806305_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

    to seal my joints. I found the right tape. The old tape had horrible fumes that permeated through the house causing my wife to freak out. So I took all the old tape off and sealed up with the new tape. No smoke but he smell of the adhesive is still there and very strong. Will this smell ever go away? my wife is convinced that it is harmful and has made me turn the stove off. Thank go it is the second stove and not my primary or we would be freezing.

    Will these fumes ever go away?

    Are they harmful?

    is there away to remove the adhesive from the pipe?

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Messages:
    12,060
    Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Before you put the new tape on you should have used a solvent to remove the adhesive left from the wrong tape.

    The pipes need to be completely cleaned in order to get rid of the odor in a reasonable amount of time.

    You need to contact the tape maker and find out what the adhesive is to answer the question about any possible danger.
  3. dhungy

    dhungy Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Loc:
    Fingerlakes
    what solvent would you recommend?
  4. Snowy Rivers

    Snowy Rivers Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,410
    Loc:
    NW Oregon
    I agree with Smokey.

    Here is what I would do, Get some fresh air moving (fan and open a window or two)

    With stove off and no open flames, use a suitable solvent such as Laquer thinner soaked into a rag and wipe off all the "sticky" left from the "stinky tape".

    Clean real well and then apply the new high temp tape.

    Once the old adhesive is gone, you should be fine.

    If you have not suffered any issues with the fumes from the original go round, there is probably nothing to get all worked up over.

    Just clean it good and use the good stuff.

    If someone had been nauseated, had a headache or other symptoms then it would be a whole different story.

    I have fired off several new stoves and the stench at times is aweful.

    Any more I always recommned to anyone thats going to install a new stove, to fire the beast off in the driveway and get it good and hot for a while and this will cook off the nasty's and cure the paint.

    Usually a half hour to 45 minutes will do the trick.

    If you paint the stove pipe, it too will smell some as the paint finishes curing

    Just remember, these solvents are highly flamable and can flash easily in the presence of fire or sparks etc.

    Also you need fresh air, so dont slop the thing down and get HIGH on the stuff.

    MEK will also cut most sticky BUTTTTTT that stuff is really nasty (smells bad and volatile)

    BrakeKleen may cut it and is basically non flamable but must be used with ventilation too.




    Keep the faith Bro


    Snowy
  5. jtakeman

    jtakeman Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Messages:
    13,580
    Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    If your wife is freaking out about the solvent in the tape, She might freak out more if you spray or spill solvents in the house. I use an orange based cleaner that does a good job of removing sticky goo. Its called Goo Gone. No solvent stinky smell.

    I think Walmart has it.

    Attached Files:

  6. dhungy

    dhungy Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Loc:
    Fingerlakes
    I have rubbing alcohol or wd40
  7. Snowy Rivers

    Snowy Rivers Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,410
    Loc:
    NW Oregon
    Goo Gone may do the job.

    WD and alcohol will likley not cut it.

    Send the Missus off to the store, open a window or two and turn on a box fan to move some air.

    Wipe the sticky off with some thinner, let the place air out a bit and your set.

    Thinner on a rag even to the point of almost dripping wont stink too bad.

    Just dont lay that rag down on anything (like the stove top) or the paint will come right off :grrr:
    When your done, toss it in the burn barrel or in the curbside garbage can.

    This need not be a huge production. Good luck

    Snowy
  8. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Messages:
    12,060
    Loc:
    Standish, ME
    You could call the tape manufacturer and find out what solvents you should use.

    Just remember all solvents are not the same and that some solvents can really smell up the place and are dangerous themselves if not used properly.

Share This Page