Uh Oh...get your generators ready...again in NE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Looks like another snow/sleet/freezing rain tomorrow night into Wed. Here's the Winter Weather Watch:

"A Winter Storm Watch Remains In Effect From Tuesday Evening Through Wednesday Evening.

Snow Is Expected To Arrive By Tuesday Evening. As Warmer Air Moves In Aloft...Precipitation Should Mix With And Change To Sleet Late Tuesday Night...Then Change Over To Freezing Rain And Sleet Toward Daybreak Wednesday. Freezing Rain And Sleet Should Then Continue Into Wednesday Evening As Northeast Winds Funnel Cold Air Down Into The Area...With Temperatures Hovering At Or Just Below Freezing.

Total Snow And Sleet Accumulation Of 2 To 4 Inches Is Expected Tuesday Night...Followed By One Quarter To One Half Inch Of Ice Accumulation From Very Late Tuesday Night Into Wednesday Evening."

Yup weather is coming ;-) . One of our local news staffs weather guy says 6+ of a mess.

Going to gas up my snow blower, might need it.

New battery, battery warmer, and starter in the 12kw Generac, plus a fresh fill-up of the 100gal Propane tank......bring it on!
Maybe I'll get a day off from work!?

I am hopping all the weak limbs and branches have all been takin out by the last storm. along with the trees near my house. I really like having electricity.

They are claiming it won't be anywhere near as bad as last time.
Let's hope they are right.

Some are still recovering from the damage...

Hope it doesn't happen again, we were out for 9 days in December. My generator is still recovering. I don't think it is built for the type of running it did the last time. I tried to shut it off every so often but difficult to do, especially with the pellet stove since it required me to shut the stove off 30 minutes before turning the generator on. Lets pray for snow instead of sleet this time around.

Whoo hoo! Just brought my new generator home last night and fired 'er up this morning. Bring it on!! (but not for too long!)

old4x4 said:
Whoo hoo! Just brought my new generator home last night and fired 'er up this morning. Bring it on!! (but not for too long!)

Generators are sort of like insurance policies...something you need to have in NH but hopefully never need to use. I hope mine stays in the garage.

How true.

I bought mine incase I needed my sump pump to run ( once every ~5 years or so but when I need it to run I *REALLY* need it ) during a power outage.

If I lost power while water was coming into my basement it would destroy my house.

You can't get flood insurance and the genny is better than that anyway because it would prevent the hassle of cleanup/rebuild, etc.

FG.

WarmInNH said:
old4x4 said:

Generators are sort of like insurance policies...something you need to have in NH but hopefully never need to use. I hope mine stays in the garage.

macman said:
New battery, battery warmer, and starter in the 12kw Generac, plus a fresh fill-up of the 100gal Propane tank......bring it on!

macman, Does your generator have trouble starting when it's cold?

I've been looking into stand-by's and that's one of my concerns.

Dougsey said:
macman said:

macman, Does your generator have trouble starting when it's cold?

I've been looking into stand-by's and that's one of my concerns.
No, not at all. I run 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the summer, and then change to 0w-30 for the winter. I got the battery warmer along with a temperature controlled switch just as an "insurance policy"....I never had a problem with it starting in the cold at all.

Thanks for the report! Got the snowplow hooked up to
the Jeep and ready to go. Have never needed my generator
but have had one a couple years and it's ready if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.