Used Jotul F500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of the comments.

I don't think I will be able to use the side door which is a bit of a downer. Reading the manual a bit more and the side door requires 36" of space to combustibles. I was thinking I'd only need 18" of floor protection, but I was wrong.

Hardcore said:

I don't think I will be able to use the side door which is a bit of a downer. Reading the manual a bit more and the side door requires 36" of space to combustibles. I was thinking I'd only need 18" of floor protection, but I was wrong.

When my stove was installed the "inspector" didn't say a thing about the side-load door at all. I've been burning in a corner installation (14" clearances to corners of stove) for 7 seasons now and personally, I think the side door clearance stuff is a complete crock. The side door is so much safer to use than the front door, yet requires double the clearance?? Stoves like the Woodstocks ONLY have side load doors and they allow corner installations...

Do what you will, but if it were me I'd install it AND use the side door. Actually, I do, and I have zero plans of stopping.

TheFlame said:
Hardcore said:

When my stove was installed the "inspector" didn't say a thing about the side-load door at all. I've been burning in a corner installation (14" clearances to corners of stove) for 7 seasons now and personally, I think the side door clearance stuff is a complete crock. The side door is so much safer to use than the front door, yet requires double the clearance?? Stoves like the Woodstocks ONLY have side load doors and they allow corner installations...

Do what you will, but if it were me I'd install it AND use the side door. Actually, I do, and I have zero plans of stopping.

I'm not sure I agree with you completely. These rules are there for liability reasons, not Practibility. If the insurance company came to check out the result of a fire and found out that the manual for the stove clearly states the side door must be locked in a corner installation and that you need 36" and you had neither of those with an unlocked side door....

Well, to be honest, that is not a gamble I really want to take.

Then on the other hand, you might not have had a fire if you were using the side door.

Either way, I'd like to find out more about these clearances and the reasons for it. Also, it doesn't really make sense because the manual doesn't state that you need 36" in front of the stove clearance to combustibles. It only states you need in Canada 18" of floor protection.

I think this is because the assumption is that you will have much more than 36" clearance in front of the stove just to be able to access it. If correct, the side door issue is based on having 36" clear when the sidedoor is opened and the corner surface is exposed to raw fire. But in reality, it's not like you're going to leave the door open for long. However, there is always the possibility...

I found this in the manual as well. It says this many times. Am I correct to believe that if your Local official accepts the installation even if you don't have the required clearances, then you are okay? Hmmm... I think we need a lawyer LOL.

Reminder:
Your local officials have final authority in determining if a
proposed installation is acceptable. Any requirement, that is
requested by the local authority having jurisdiction, that is not
specifically addressed in this manual, defaults to NFPA 211, and
local codes in the U.S. or in Canada, CAN/CSA-B365-M and local
codes.

Does anyone have an older Oslo manual . . . for some reason I'm thinking that I read here that someone stated the prohibition on the use of the side loading door for corner installs was a relatively new addition to the manual as their manual had no such prohibition.

I'm not saying that I use my side loading door for my corner install . . . but I am thinking that the only two reasons I can think of for the prohibition is a) the concern that if a person were to do a corner install with the closest clearances possible the "raw fire" (I like that term BeGreen) would be relatively close to the wall and b) having a corner install with the closest clearances possible would also result in less hearth space which could be a concern with embers falling on to the hearth, sparks shooting out, etc.

Yes, it is interesting also to point out that stoves like the cumberland gap from quadra fire allow corner installs without very large clearances to combustibles. I wonder why the change between different brands of stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.