well here is my Dutch West's inaugural burn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
the hearth needs the sides cemented to finish it.. but i could not wait to fire this up~

i'm putting carpet all over so the hard wood in the back ground will be gone.... plus pink carpet sucks...

HPIM2482.jpg

HPIM2486.jpg

HPIM2491.jpg

Very nice !!!! You're going to be toasty !!

And, you are right, that pink has GOT to go %-P

Looks very nice, very nice. Theres nothin wrong with that beautiful pink carpet either, dammit!

Id love to see a pic of it really crankin with a full load! :)

I put mine in in June I have had plenty of fires . We will see . I say No carpet your wood looks GREAT . I'm Ripping carpet soon .
Dw med non cat

why does your ashpan door appear to be ajar?

Good question. It does look ajar.

i was letting is suck more air in... the fire really took off!!

after i super heated my wood i closed it and used the air control and it burned for about 2 hours before completely dieing out.... all on no more than 2 pieces of wood

Nice stove . . . great pics of the fire.

Beautiful hearth . . . love the look of the stones.

The pink carpet on the otherhand . . . :) . . . of course it's not pink, it's rose-colored . . . at least that's what my wife tells me is the color of the pink . . . I mean . . . rose colored carpet in our guest bedroom (and no, I didn't pick out the color . . . it came with the house when we bought it.)

At least his wife did let him have the stove, as she does pick out the colors. The black stove goes nicely with the PINK.
It could have been worse... a pink (rose) colored stove.

Seriously, enjoy it, be safe and warm.

myzamboni said:
why does your ashpan door appear to be ajar?

because it is silly, Turbo Boost

Nice looking stove and the fire looks warm and toasty. Get rid of the carpet leave the wood floor, gives a nice contrast but replace carpet with a dog bed and a labrador!!!!!!!!!!!

well the carpet was there when we moved in...

we already have the lab.. haha.. she's not in the pic though

and the wood floors underneath the carpet would look nice... but our kitchen and dining room is all hard wood and i kinda like carpet... more softer when doing things on the floor... hehe

plus the floors under the carpet need re-done and thats a project i don't really want to do.... i need a break!

trailblaze said:

after i super heated my wood i closed it and used the air control and it burned for about 2 hours before completely dieing out.... all on no more than 2 pieces of wood

Careful, one day you may step away for 10 minutes longer than usual with a nice load of dry hardwood in there and all that xtra combustion air is going to cause something to warp or worse. I warped the ash grate (5/8" thick solid iron) on my DW building up a fire with the ash pan door open. My wife told me that wihle attempting a quick warm-up with the ash door open she had to step away for a minute that turned into 15 minutes by mistake, when she returned the connector pipe was cherry red. Not good! You wanna overfire a DW, this is how it's done.

Have you ever noticed when throttling back your really hot DW stove, the front dampers can be hard to close, when you push the leaver forward you meet enough resistance you feel you may break or bend something?

trailblaze said:

Don't do that! The stove is not designed to run as a blast furnace. You risk warping or melting the bottom grate. This will void the warranty.

plus the floors under the carpet need re-done and thats a project i don’t really want to do.... i need a break!

I know what you mean , Take a break. I have been building my addition for my stove for 6 mos of nights now without a day off. Did the entire thing excavation to final paint. Our kit floors tie in and need to be refinished also. I just dont want to do that job after all the work. Need a break too.

Sometimes you just have to stop and recharge the batterys.

BeGreen said:
trailblaze said:

Don't do that! The stove is not designed to run as a blast furnace. You risk warping or melting the bottom grate. This will void the warranty.

woops.... hah... it was neat to watch it take off... but i'll keep this in mind... don't want to break it before it's even broke in...

Hey, thats kinda cute.....looks like a real fire....only smaller. :lol:

Just pulling your leg, but wait till you get that sucker really fired up.

Oh, I gotta tsk,tsk you as well. Leave that ash door closed unless you are dumping the ash out. Things could get real crazy in the time it takes you to refill your adult beverage.

Safety first.

Not to harp on this ash pan door thing but.......... If one were to get a real hot fire going in an otherwise cold stove using this blast furnace method and then engage the Cat/Everburn, these super heated gases will be dumped into the secondary burn chamber and due to extreme temperature differential, damage these somewhat delicate internal components. A crack across a relatively new combustor element in my DW I contend was due to employing this technique to get a quick response time from my stove.

hmm.. i never thought keeping the door open was such a problem... i only opened it to get the fire started... and to revive it once...

does it hurt to open it to get the fire going?? like say for just a minute or two?

There are easy and safe ways to do this. The best is to use very dry kindling so it's not required in the first place. SuperCedars are also nice firestarters. It's much better to follow the manual's recommendation.

As far as the alternative with the ashpan, this is what the manual has to say:
DO NOT OPERATE THE STOVE WITH THE ASH
DOOR OPEN. OPERATION WITH THE ASH DOOR
OPEN CAN CAUSE AN OVERFIRING CONDITION
TO OCCUR. OVERFIRING THE STOVE IS DANGEROUS
AND CAN RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURY OR
LOSS OF LIFE.

i was using super cedars... they are pretty cool...

i guess i was just impressed by the "blasting" affect...

i'll stop doing it..

Just a minute or two thats the problem. What if the phone rings while you are get the fire started with the ash door open and damn it, someone left the handset in the basement and while you are down there you notice someone left the god damn bilco door open again. So while shutting it you hit your head on the door header and boom your unconscious. Now, not only are you incapacitated on the basement floor, but your kids are upstairs playing X-Box unaware of the fact that in 20 minutes your new wood stove is going to overfire and.............OVERFIRING THE STOVE IS DANGEROUS AND CAN RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE.

Hey, you asked.............. Go ask a fireman, I don't make this shxt up.

I'm not sure how the owners manual felt about it but I came to like using the block firestarter stuff, you know that wax covered sawdust brick you buy at WalMart for $1.99. I would break off 2 or 3 3/4" size chunks to help ignite kindling splits and then work my way up from there. Definitely took longer than using the ash pan door method but safety first.

Status
Not open for further replies.