What hap to corn stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
PerfectaDude said:
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Johnson...
:lol: :lol:

Had it replaced with one half the size. ;-P

Twice the girth! ;-)

Yep, Seems every thread lately. But I didn't start it this time! Sorry OP!

Shockingly, it wasn't none of us 3...... ;-P

To stay on track... I have a buddy that can give me some corn (prob lots of it) but has no way of drying it... If anyone has any homemade ways of drying corn at home. In large quantities ....

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 245
PerfectaDude said:
rona said:
PerfectaDude said:
Simple answer, corn is a feed stock, pellets are not. This is why, until they perfect the making of ethanol using methods other than corn fermentation, you won't see E85 readily available anywhere. Using a feed stock as a fuel is never a good idea, using waste products is. A few years back there was a company making pellets from corn stalks and other field waste left over after the harvest, don't know what ever happened to them. A corn stove might be good if you live in say Iowa and happen to own a couple hundred acres of corn field, for the rest of us it just never made sense. I used to burn cherry pits when you could get them at TSC, they went and reduced the bag size to 30# and raised the price so it makes little sense now. They burned nice but I found I had to mix them with pellets to keep them from blowing out of the burn pot.

Where do you live? E-85 has been available for probably 5 years or more. Haven't you heard of flex fuel vehicles?
As far as feed corn being wasted the left over is a highly sought cattle feed.
Using corn stubble and other waste for making ethanol is being tested but so far not economically feasible. Maybe by artificially raising other energy prices it may become feasible but a lot of money has been spent so far with no positive results.
Burning crop waste as pellets was being done with corn stalks, soybean stubble, sunflower hulls. Google Eagle Biomass Fuels. But they may be out of business because they were pretty high priced and had lots of ash.
As I remember they were charging over 5.00 a 40lb bag and I could get wood pellets for 4.00 a bag so that didn't work.

Sure, I have heard of flex fuel vehicles, been driving one for 4 years, fat lot of good it does me, you can't get E85 anywhere in the NY/NJ/Philadelphia region, at least not if you don't want to drive 50 miles out of your way to get it.

Never said that any corn whatsoever was waste, corn is food whether it be for animals or humans who end up eating the animals.

Coskata was working on converting various waste streams into syngas which could then be turned into ethanol, haven't heard much about them in a while I know GM invested a lot of money in the technology.

There is a company in Ireland I believe that has found a way to turn human waste into a burnable fuel, can't wait to try a bag of Poo-Pellets, wonder what kind of ash those will produce.

By waste I meant after you take the alcohol out of the corn the left-over is sought after as a valuable cattle feed so to imply the choice is one or the other is not true. We get both with no waste.
I was in Phoenix Az not long ago and there were pipes coming out of their landfill burning off methane. I would have thought they could capture that and route it into their nat gas systems but evidently that isn't feasible either.
Location means a lot in this discussion and I guess we have been exposed to ethanol for a longtime and it is relatively new for you folks on the east coast. One thing I noticed was when switching to either a ethynal blend gas or biodiesel both will clean any crud out of your tanks so you may have to change filters a couple of times before the tank is clean .

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
PerfectaDude" date="1328404400 said:

Twice the girth! ;-)

To stay on track... I have a buddy that can give me some corn (prob lots of it) but has no way of drying it... If anyone has any homemade ways of drying corn at home. In large quantities ....

If you want to dry as you are running the stove a simple way is get a couple of wire mesh waste baskets that hold about 3 o4 four gallons of shelled corn and set them in front of your stove. The hot air from the stove will dry the moisture out fast. You may have to set them on a chair or something to get them high enough so the hot air flow hits them.

rona said:
PerfectaDude said:
rona said:
PerfectaDude said:
Simple answer, corn is a feed stock, pellets are not. This is why, until they perfect the making of ethanol using methods other than corn fermentation, you won't see E85 readily available anywhere. Using a feed stock as a fuel is never a good idea, using waste products is. A few years back there was a company making pellets from corn stalks and other field waste left over after the harvest, don't know what ever happened to them. A corn stove might be good if you live in say Iowa and happen to own a couple hundred acres of corn field, for the rest of us it just never made sense. I used to burn cherry pits when you could get them at TSC, they went and reduced the bag size to 30# and raised the price so it makes little sense now. They burned nice but I found I had to mix them with pellets to keep them from blowing out of the burn pot.

Where do you live? E-85 has been available for probably 5 years or more. Haven't you heard of flex fuel vehicles?
Using corn stubble and other waste for making ethanol is being tested but so far not economically feasible. Maybe by artificially raising other energy prices it may become feasible but a lot of money has been spent so far with no positive results.
Burning crop waste as pellets was being done with corn stalks, soybean stubble, sunflower hulls. Google Eagle Biomass Fuels. But they may be out of business because they were pretty high priced and had lots of ash.
As I remember they were charging over 5.00 a 40lb bag and I could get wood pellets for 4.00 a bag so that didn't work.

Sure, I have heard of flex fuel vehicles, been driving one for 4 years, fat lot of good it does me, you can't get E85 anywhere in the NY/NJ/Philadelphia region, at least not if you don't want to drive 50 miles out of your way to get it.

Never said that any corn whatsoever was waste, corn is food whether it be for animals or humans who end up eating the animals.

Coskata was working on converting various waste streams into syngas which could then be turned into ethanol, haven't heard much about them in a while I know GM invested a lot of money in the technology.

There is a company in Ireland I believe that has found a way to turn human waste into a burnable fuel, can't wait to try a bag of Poo-Pellets, wonder what kind of ash those will produce.

By waste I meant after you take the alcohol out of the corn the left-over is sought after as a valuable cattle feed so to imply the choice is one or the other is not true. We get both with no waste.
I was in Phoenix Az not long ago and there were pipes coming out of their landfill burning off methane. I would have thought they could capture that and route it into their nat gas systems but evidently that isn't feasible either.
Location means a lot in this discussion and I guess we have been exposed to ethanol for a longtime and it is relatively new for you folks on the east coast. One thing I noticed was when switching to either a ethynal blend gas or biodiesel both will clean any crud out of your tanks so you may have to change filters a couple of times before the tank is clean .

Not problem if you only use feed corn to make ethanol but start taking food off my dinner table and there is gonna be trouble. Besides that if there is some residual alcohol left in the mash the cows will get drunk off it and we will have Kobe beef!

Funny you mention the landfill and methane burn-off, not far from where I live there is a pilot program at one our local landfills that uses the methane to fire large generators that pump a lot of megawatts into the local electrical grid. I believe it is called cogeneration.

So out west where there is plenty of land for farming you have plentiful ethanol and out east we have plenty of garbage.

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
PerfectaDude" date="1328404400 said:

Twice the girth! ;-)

Might seem like a simple idea but did you ever think of baking it in your oven? Of course the gas or electric you use to dry it might negate the purpose of burning corn in the first place. Another idea would be to put it in bags that breathe like burlap and place them in your clothes dryer.

PerfectaDude said:
rona said:
PerfectaDude said:
rona said:
PerfectaDude said:

Not problem if you only use feed corn to make ethanol but start taking food off my dinner table and there is gonna be trouble. Besides that if there is some residual alcohol left in the mash the cows will get drunk off it and we will have Kobe beef!

Funny you mention the landfill and methane burn-off, not far from where I live there is a pilot program at one our local landfills that uses the methane to fire large generators that pump a lot of megawatts into the local electrical grid. I believe it is called cogeneration.

So out west where there is plenty of land for farming you have plentiful ethanol and out east we have plenty of garbage.
Not meaning to sound sarcastic but I seriously doubt you eat field corn as a meal. If there is any alcohol left in the dg's some employee will have trouble. lol But when I drive by feed lots the cattle all seem very content and satisfied so maybe you bring up a valid point about them getting a free buzz.
I have heard about a large dairy farmer who runs the manure through a type of digester that provides electricity but don't remember where it is located.
In all seriousness I started burning corn 8 or 9 years ago when it was worth only 1.25-1.50a bushel and the average yield was 130 bushels a acre. Inputs were cheaper back then. As soon as the price of corn went up the price of fertilizer, fuel, seed and etc all went up. I should also mention the yield per acre has gone way up with 175 to 200 bushel per acre is common in a average year.Its a funny thing about grain I as a farmer don't set the price of the grain as it always has been a demand item and the buyer sets the price. If you go to the store and something is to high priced simply don't buy it. I quit burning corn because pellets are cheaper.
I also wonder what the price of gas would be without ethanhol. At least it isn't imported.

A corn stove salesman at a home show up here a few years back told me that I could burn corn that had gone 'off' (corn that got moldy) for a fraction of the cost of the good stuff at local feed mills. Is this sales bunk? If I could even find moldy corn, would it be safe (non-toxic) to burn?

Realstone said:
j-takeman said:
smoke this said:
I don't think I'd invite mold into my home.

Why not the wife lets you in! :cheese:

Green moldy critter just like your avatar! ;-)
Too slow on the draw!

Jump right in and enjoy the fun. Don't matter who's first. As long as we get him!!! :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Realstone said:
j-takeman said:
smoke this said:

Too slow on the draw!

Jump right in and enjoy the fun. Don't matter who's first. As long as we get him!!! :cheese:

you wanna gang up on someone, I might need help over here. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91108/P70/

smoke this said:
j-takeman said:
Realstone said:
j-takeman said:
smoke this said:

Too slow on the draw!

you wanna gang up on someone, I might need help over here. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91108/P70/

I'll help ya "under the bus" as they say! ;-)

Oinkers and the belchers. Not good smoke! :cheese:

The ethanol subsidy went to the oil companies to market E85 and make their pumps available to sell it... as I understand it the farmers never got any direct payments. The Michigan ethanol plant manage told me this a few years ago.

No one complains when so much corn goes to cord sweeteners and such... don't remember a big outcry when we switched from sugar cane to corn syrup.And the old idea of it taking more energy to make a gallon of ethanol than it produces was true 20 years ago when everything came and went via truck. Now they have many plants that use rail shipping and pipelines...

So how about it? Can corn that is no good for anything else be used for pellet fuel? Even if it is moldy?

Realstone said:
So how about it? Can corn that is no good for anything else be used for pellet fuel? Even if it is moldy?
I am 66 years old and farmed most of my life. I just retired last year and have serious lung problems resulting from exposure to moldy grain. I did use a mask most of the time but obviously it wasn't used enough. Grain dust is bad enough but moldy grain is real bad for you.
Your choice but what is your health worth?

Realstone said:
Thanks! Tell me SS, is this what's known as a Pellet Pig?:

0319082301.jpg

Nah, thats just Jay suited up for more pellet testing... :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.