What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Red maple and cherry are more than enough today with it warming. Relatives all love how warm the house is. Merry Christmas all.

Rainey and low 40's some silver maple with a piece of cherry...

I have done eucalyptus burning right now. We have such, oak, made easy and random trees we took down two years ago in the pile we are burning this year.

Still really mild out so a couple of small pine splits to keep the chill out.

Wifey was up a couple hours before me and loaded up a full box of pine. 10F outside 82F at the thermostat 18 ft from stove.

Hit 50 degrees today, or nearly so, and brushed the chimney. Looked great.
The ash/ soot brushed away by hand as far as I could reach up or down ! ! !
That double-wall stainless is truly "Da-Bomb".

Cooling off now this evening back to winter temps and putting the torch to some
kindle under pine under ash, our usual midwestern blend.

CheapSafeAndClean

Was 60 degrees during the day so I let the fire go out. I come home from work and its 22 degrees. Got her fired back up with pine and maple.

Last edited:
It's gong to be a steady dose of ash for us until the temps fall again. We have beech, mulberry, and a little oak on deck when it does. Weather looks pretty mild for awhile though.

Only cold ashes on this second day of county wide burn restrictions heading into the weekend as multi-county burn restrictions as inversion season kicks into high gear. Good time to clean out the stove and move some wood around.

I love this thread and trying different MC's and species, and different blends as I learn along.
Today's scrounge cooked up izza round of walnut busted into 6 last May laid over ash.
Found three usable rounds and the other 12 splits get the nite shift over a great coalbed.

Same mentality I used in metallurgy coming up with the best possible properties for wear, or strength,
shear resistance, rust inhibiting copper additions to the ladles, etc. Now it's fun toying with smoke belching pine
to a slow burning lazy load of oak or other hardwood I have to Google to memorize, etc. It's become a hobby indeed!

Reactions: Jay106n and Tom123
Ok,
Fried the place on the walnut. The hallway thermostat showed a ridiculous 82 degrees. (Butter plate melted again.)
Overloaded and too much airflow. I had the screw out 4 out of 5 turns. Woke up sweating and opened the door
of the stove and the door of the house, and kept a close eye on the stove, and of course the dogs wanting to stage a jailbreak. lol
Great coals, tho. Very little ash. Nice stuff.

Tonite the pig is back to it's usual diet of ash and a few small oaks on top.

Ok,
Fried the place on the walnut. The hallway thermostat showed a ridiculous 82 degrees. (Butter plate melted again.)
Overloaded and too much airflow. I had the screw out 4 out of 5 turns. Woke up sweating and opened the door
of the stove and the door of the house, and kept a close eye on the stove, and of course the dogs wanting to stage a jailbreak. lol
Great coals, tho. Very little ash. Nice stuff.

Tonite the pig is back to it's usual diet of ash and a few small oaks on top.
I spent a few years heating with walnut, courtesy of hurricanes Irene and Sandy. It's not the highest BTU wood, but that inadequacy is mostly reflected in it's shorter burn times, not how hot it burns. It's a very resinous wood that would send my cat combustor temperature to the moon on any full load, and I imagine it might do the same with a non-cat afterburn system. It would usually spike 1 - 2 hours into the burn, so it would catch you by surprise.

It's a mild 18f out now. I have some of the four cords of hickory that was given to me by a elderly couple that left their home for a assisted living place a few years ago. And some scrap cedar from work. If I wanted to I could heat the whole house with just scrap cedar!

Firebox is full of 16% MC red oak.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Cherry, apple and green ash

Last three pieces of poplar :(, couple cherry, black walnut, and some sort of hard maple.

Burning some redbud I moved up to the house yesterday. It's burning well, but I will probably shut the stove down later today. Highs going to be in the 50's the next few days. Going to get the house up to temp this morning and let the heat pump run.

For New Years breakfast the pig is eating a chunka maple and a few smalls on the oak side
to warm the shanty before churchin'.

Warming up a bit so ash is on the menu for dessert and evening.