What is this? And Why Is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShutUpSqueak

Jan 6, 2023
NJ
Hey folks. Can anyone explain what's happening in the video?
I recently put a new gasket on my Enviro M55fs-c because it was due.
At the same time, I got new half ton Hamers Premium.
Never had issues with the stove.
Now-in the vid you can see when I press the off button the auger stops like usual, the flame goes away and the blower keeps blowing.
Is whatever is happening in the video called popcorning?
Why is it doing that? Never has happened in the past.
I thought maybe it has something to do with the new gasket? Then I thought maybe it has something to do with the new bags I got. The stove itself seems to be getting dirtier more quickly.
Did I mess up the gasket and is causing it or did I just get "bad bags"?
When I turn the stove off initially and when the flame goes away it is worse than what's in the video.

Attachments

• 20230106_230939.mp4
    19.6 MB
You are getting full air flow now thru the burnpot instead of some coming in thru the bad gasket. Does that stove have an adjustable damper for air flow?

If you mean all the sparks then that is normal
Which gasket did you replace?
The combustion air coming through the burn pot
blows the ash out of it sparks are light enough to be blown out
poss your combustion air gate needs to be adjusted a little
watch this video

Welcome to the forum

Reactions: VintageGal
You are getting full air flow now thru the burnpot instead of some coming in thru the bad gasket. Does that stove have an adjustable damper for air flow?
It does not have an adjustable damper. It does have different settings for how the fan blows..

If you mean all the sparks then that is normal
Which gasket did you replace?
The combustion air coming through the burn pot
blows the ash out of it sparks are light enough to be blown out
poss your combustion air gate needs to be adjusted a little
watch this video

Welcome to the forum

I have seen this video many times. I did forget that it shows the sparks in this particular video.
Does you suggest lowering or increasing the Combustion air

Without seeing your fire set at about the middle for heat
I have no way to tell if you are getting too much or too little air
If the door seal was leaking and the fire was burning OK
I would reduce the Combustion air just a little at a time until the
desired fire was found. after each adjustment wait a while for the fire to
adjust to the new setting. Say 15 to 20 min.

I've maybe seen the same thing on a much smaller scale ... much-much smaller. Mine looked more like gentle fairies in an old movie maybe, not so much like a mad fire spitting.

I wonder though ... when do gaskets come due for replacement?
Few days ago ... I found new gasketing in a bag with the cement that I bought a number of years back for when ... if ever ... that due time arrives.

when do gaskets come due for replacement?
The smart-ass answer "When it is worn out "
My stove still has the original door Gasket
(now on 21 st season) Every spring I clean it
dish soap and water let it dry and then work it
with a wooden spoon to soften and fluff.
When it is frayed or no longer able to clean and
fluff I will replace it. As long as it seals and
passes the 5-dollar bill test ( no one-dollar bills in Canada)
It is OK in my eyes

Without seeing your fire set at about the middle for heat
I have no way to tell if you are getting too much or too little air
If the door seal was leaking and the fire was burning OK
I would reduce the Combustion air just a little at a time until the
desired fire was found. after each adjustment wait a while for the fire to
adjust to the new setting. Say 15 to 20 min.

Attachments

• 20230107_153358.mp4
    16.9 MB
From page 10 of your manual
The easiest way to make sure that an efficient flame is achieved is to understand the characteristics of the fire. • A tall, lazy flame with dark orange tips requires more air. • A short, brisk flame, like a blowtorch, has too much air . • If the flame is in the middle of these two characteristics with a bright yellow/orange, active flame with no black tips then the air is set for proper operation,

Trim adjustment is used for the type of pellet you are using
The slide damper is used to set the combustion air see page 10

Reactions: tbear853
The smart-ass answer "When it is worn out "
My stove still has the original door Gasket
(now on 21 st season) Every spring I clean it
dish soap and water let it dry and then work it
with a wooden spoon to soften and fluff.
When it is frayed or no longer able to clean and
fluff I will replace it. As long as it seals and
passes the 5-dollar bill test ( no one-dollar bills in Canada)
It is OK in my eyes
31 years old here now, still sealing too ... but I like the idea of "clean and fluff". Might try that "clean and fluff" deal come the off season.

From page 10 of your manual
The easiest way to make sure that an efficient flame is achieved is to understand the characteristics of the fire. • A tall, lazy flame with dark orange tips requires more air. • A short, brisk flame, like a blowtorch, has too much air . • If the flame is in the middle of these two characteristics with a bright yellow/orange, active flame with no black tips then the air is set for proper operation,

Trim adjustment is used for the type of pellet you are using
The slide damper is used to set the combustion air see page 10
There is no physical slide damper on the Enviro M55fs-c. Only by button for feed trim rate and Combustion air trim

What is this on the sides
20230107_220006.jpg

My mistake but I guess after 15 years of repairing Enviro stoves I know nothing
READ YOUR MANUAL
Again See Page 10 (TEN) For a Cast stove on Page 18
Do have a nice day

Last edited:
My mistake but I guess after 15 years of repairing Enviro stoves I know nothing
READ YOUR MANUAL
Again See Page 10 (TEN) For a Cast stove on Page 18
Do have a nice day
Boy, after 15 years I'd imagine you wouldn't be so grumpy. Page 10 is cleaning and maintenance. Page 18 is installation and neither page has any mention of flame.
No need to be so rude 😖

16731507756035373120596665305951.jpg 16731507989294083525988432286544.jpg

What causes more of this? Last season it was not this bad. Can it be from the bags?
Try a couple bags of a different brand of pellets. That will help rule out fuel.

Ashes are normal. Different brands of pellets vary leaving more or less ashes.

If you scour the internet you can probably find a “technical manual” which will have many more details about your stove. One in particular will be how to test your draft using a magnehelic gauge. This is the only way to precisely set the draft otherwise it’s just a guessing game.

Last edited:
Boy, after 15 years I'd imagine you wouldn't be so grumpy. Page 10 is cleaning and maintenance. Page 18 is installation and neither page has any mention of flame.
I have no idea what year your stove is. The 2 newest manuals it is page on page 10
The 2013 to 2915 manual it is on page 9.
Why am I so grumpy? Let's put it this way I have been on this forum for many years
giving advice and helping diagnose pellet stove problems to the best of my professional
ability. To be told that your stove does not have an internal part that all Enviro pellet stoves have
Just does not sit well with me. I made a good living servicing stoves until I retired at 72 and I still
repair and clean several stoves at no charge. This year has been the worst I have seen
for people that can't or won't read their manuals I know of 2 other Enviro techs that have left
the forum this year because of people like you.
I will now join them. I will not post here again.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.