What kind of maple is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningBrutus

Oct 24, 2013
Amherst, NY
Can anybody tell me what kind of maple this is?

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 230
  • maple 2.jpg
    maple 2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 223
How about a shot closer up?

Sorry, these are the only pictures available, its a craigslist add, he said its "hard maple", but i dont think he really knows, I just want to make sure its not silver, as thats low btu's, so i would like the opinion of the experts here.

Without a closer picture it will be really hard to tell. Judging from some of the bark I am seeing he has different kinds in there. The dark green ones could be red or maybe Norway maple. The lighter ones could be sugar or silver.

For the right price I would take silver maple, especially if it is cut, split and at least semi-dry. Does he deliver?

If its free take all you can! I burn silver maple in shoulder season and mix with the hard stuff in winter. Good to have some soft to go with the hard.

Judging by his stacks, I'd guess he knows a decent amount about firewood identity.

But that doesn't mean he is honest about firewood identity, so ymmv.

Alot of neatly stacked maple.
It looks like Red, smooth bark, light grey.
Theres alot of wood there, hard to imagine its all one species.
I would pay the same for Sugar as I would for Oak, but be careful. Do some research on bark on Red, Silver and Sugar before you go look at it. And go look at it before he "delivers".
Be wary, Sugar, like Cherry is a timber tree, it's unlikely someone cut down a whole woodlot of Sugar maple for firewood. It would be like winning the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.