What makes a good draft in heaters-stove pipes verses fireplaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I do not know much about drafting only reading some on here...I have a 52 inch stove coming and am going to straight pipe it up to the roof and out which is a low roof about 97 inches high so for a 52 inch high stove and subtract about 92 inches leaves about (ball park here) 45 inches of piping going out the roof..Am I figuring this out right for piping? Would the piping be better going out a windy corner of the house or a more still one with air? This is a Wiseway Heater...Also would it be better to place the heater low on the concrete or build up a floor level with the rest of the house and have less piping to consider because it would have a higher surface..Just asking about this especially about "draft"--shorter verses longer and etc..What is the best way...? I am not putting it in but want to know about these things so that I at least sound intelligent...lol clancey

No it is a outside area that is covered by roof shingles and I am going to have it enclosed and concrete laid on the ground instead of the river rock that is there now...Right now it is all open with 6 or more postings attached to the main house lower level porch roof. Its height to the roof ceiling on one end is about 97 inches from ground to "ceiling--you can see the 2.4's" and the low end height is about maybe 87 or so for it slopes down.. Right now i just use it for outside storage of things. I could bring up the flooring if I want it house level which I am thinking about but do not know at this time. Since I only want a stove like this for a emergency I might just concrete the ground and sit it on that but close in the area with maybe about three windows as well--big job to think about...I hope this helps with your question..Thanks...clancey