What questions should I ask when shopping for a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new wood insert, I spent alot of time doing research I checked out every stove shop within an hour of my home( which is about a dozen) I read brochures until I had them memorized. The one thing I noticed in when going into most of these shops was that I knew more about their products than most of the salesmen. So please do not assume they know what they are talking about! Do your own research, I got a TON of great advice from people here regarding stove sizing and proper installation.

My tips for you are to buy from a brand with a food reputation for quality and honoring their warranty. Get a properly sized stove. Which for you I would think something around 2 cu ft will give you good burn times without being way oversized. Make sure your installation is done properly, and start working on your woodpile now.

Jaytee . . . sounds as though you would be happy to be able to make a significant dent in your heating bill vs. wanting to heat 24/7 (which is generally easier to do if you're home at some point within a 24 hour time period.) For this reason I would say go with either a cat or non-cat . . . BeGreen gave you some good choices that would fit into the size you would want to look at . . . I would take a look at the stoves in the list and see what you like or don't like . . . and ask questions . . . folks who own these stoves would be happy to give you their opinions . . . or you can check out the stove reviews at the rating section here at hearth.com.

As for the mess . . . yes . . . woodstoves can be a bit messy . . . as you have surmised . . . there is the bark, dirt and sawdust that will fall off the wood when loading it into the stove or bringing it into the house . . . and there may be some ash around the hearth . . . but to me a mess can be easily cleaned up and the cost of a whisk broom and dustpan is much, much cheaper than the cost and convenience of paying for oil or gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.