What would you do....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkazak

Jan 21, 2014
Nebraska
We bought this LARGE wood home last year out of Foreclosure and I'm trying to get the house off the Propane Grid.

It has a 3-story chase with the lower level being occupied with a Lopi Liberty. Now I need to get a stove installed on the main level. So I'm going to open a thread here to get any and all opinions / ideas on what I should do to make this work in the best (and best value) way . Its just a wood frame chase currently with a cheap "fireplace" installed. The photo is a bit dated as my wife decided she didn't like the stone look and instead of waiting until we had a plan for the stove install, she just went ahead and started tearing off the rock one day while I was at work. It is now just a painted wall.

I picked up a Hearthstone Mansfield I intend on installing in the space and will start researching the clearance requirements etc to do a Spring install..... so have at it Gents - let's hear your ideas.......

A free standing stove most times will give you more heat than an insert. Not sure how many sq ft you are heating but no doubt are heating a large cu ft space so you will want to go large with a stove. I'd consider something in approximately a 3 cu ft firebox. I would also get next years wood now! That will pay good divedens.

Status
Not open for further replies.