When will Wood Burners be regulated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Canuck

Minister of Fire
Just wondering (primarily for those of you that are south of the 49th), when there will be regulations, re: wood burning devices & of course their pollutants/exhaust.

Sort of a general question/thought on where it is now & where it will (you think) move to?

Whatever happens (south of the 49th) will probably be copied here in Canada in the form of "national clean air legislation act" very soon after it happens in the USA.

What do you see happening in your area/state? What direction do (you think) your nation will move in?

My personal thought; long term is, the only survivors will be "efficient gassers with storage" everything else will fail the sniff test. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts ; I think we are there already , As the buying public the new higher efficiency stoves , boilers , furnaces , also happen to be some of the cleanest burning around .
I personnally like to cut firewood and alot on here do also but I don't want to be a slave to my boiler either .
I have a freind of mine that about 7 years ago put in a outside boiler and had looked at my gasifacation boiler and laughed at me . I remember him saying you cant get any wood in that thing , I need something bigger than that . Last year he started asking about my boiler again . I asked him I thought you loved your outside boiler , He said I do I am just getting tired of my second full time job of cutting wood for it by the dump truck loads . ( Guess what everytime I see this thing its puffin smoke like crazy )

In some areas they are banning this and that here and there. I think the left slime balls want to ban all of it in hopes to save a tree. Not even knowing most our wood died before we cut it for firewood. They like to clump all wood burners in the same family. " Get rid of them all" mentality. They will ban them little by little and don't back off until we get so mad we threaten violence. They start with quotes like "smoke belching wood burners" at town hall meetings and really make a lot of noise to get their way. Never mind the half truths and exaggerations.

Glad to here it puffdawg, now you can go talk to your own kind. I can talk all day long to the left slime and they will not listen to any reason whatsoever. If a lefty says it to a lefty they listen like Obama shouted it from the roof tops. So go get em Puffdawg, just remember it's your own side that would shut down any woodburner they can along with logging, gun rights, and even pastors on the pulpit condemning sodomy. Congrads on your gassifier, show your friends what thet've been missing all these years, free heat from dead trees.

This left winger dont like the gun registry,logged for a living and has no religios ties. All my left and right friends burn firewood.
As far as regulations about clean burning wood stoves its only in the more populated areas .And dont think I will ever be affected by them. Although I cant say I dont like them.

I dont think Obama is a lefty ,But I think he is a little to the left of George W.

Puff!

Guess you are right about the more populated areas. Honestly It is rare to here liberals burn firewood. I even heard of a few buying videos of a fireplace burning wood to save on carbon footprint.

Our small town of ~700 already has a restriction on OWB's. From what I hear, Iowa is looking to regulate burn also. I am hoping to get a new furnace before regulations are passed and there is a run on the market (not sure if that would even happen, but I'm a pessimist).

ikessky said:
Our small town of ~700 already has a restriction on OWB's. From what I hear, Iowa is looking to regulate burn also. I am hoping to get a new furnace before regulations are passed and there is a run on the market (not sure if that would even happen, but I'm a pessimist).

Thanks ikeesky. That is the kind of info I was interested in. Basically what your local authorities are doing/contemplating. As well as where you see it going from there.

ihookem said:
I can talk all day long to the left slime and they will not listen to any reason whatsoever..

Gee, you think it might be because you refer to anyone that disagrees with you as "left slime"...

ihookem said:
Guess you are right about the more populated areas. Honestly It is rare to here liberals burn firewood. I even heard of a few buying videos of a fireplace burning wood to save on carbon footprint.

Thats funny that u mention that , over the holidays we watched the holiday fireplace in High Def. on tv .It was a 24 hour viewing of a real fire. LOL.

I think we must be a different sort of liberal here or lefty. I view the forests as a renewable resource and I would much rather burn trees than fossil fuels . I have cut a lot of trees down logging and selling firewood. I love cutting firewood!My wife gets mad at me because I have fun getting it. I have a modified 384 husky with heated handlebars its one of my favourite toys.
I like paying my union dues .
I like paying my taxes that help the needy and less forunate.for things such as health care and social assistance.
I dont like paying them to politicians who fleece everyone to fatten their own wallets
I love hunting and shooting and own a small arsenal.
I like beer and rum and cokes
And I love the fights in hockey games
I guess im left leaning rednek

Cheers Puff

ME and NH only allow gassifiers, north Massachussetts (ME) went first, New Massachussets (NH) waited until dec '08 to ban plain old OWB. I know quite a few still ended up in ME, even though they were sold to NH addresses. A friend of mine in NH bought a gassifier back before the ban and wishes he got the plain CB OWB instead. The one lucky thing for us is that we are 50 states, not one, and some times DC has to remember that and let the founders plan of 50 different legislatures control what happens, not one central planner, unlike any other nation that I know of.

This is the latest on woodstove bylaws in the town I live in.

Media Release

For details on this and other City of Campbell River services, events and information,
please visit our website at www.campbellriver.ca
September 17, 2009
Clean Air Bylaw to Ensure New Wood Stoves Meet Standards
At its September 15 meeting, City Council adopted amendments to the Clean Air Bylaw that
requires new wood stove installations in Campbell River to be certified to the Canadian
Standards Association or the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards.
“Since 1992, the City has led many initiatives to reduce fine particulate air pollution,” says Mayor
Charlie Cornfield. “In recent years, the ban of backyard yard waste burning through the Clean
Air Bylaw has been a significant step towards improving local air quality. The City’s
Environmental Advisory Commission recommended the regulation of solid fuel burning
appliance standards as the next logical step.”
“Smoke from wood stoves remains a significant issue in many areas,” says Councillor Roy
Grant, the Council liaison to the Environmental Advisory Commission. “Fine particulates, such
as those found in wood smoke, were cited in a recent report by the Provincial Health Officer as
the worst kind of air pollution in BC, and exposure to high levels of particulates can play a role in
many kinds of respiratory diseases. The BC Lung Association confirms new technology stoves
emit 70 per cent less pollution on average, and this is the standard we will uphold for new
woodstove installations in Campbell River.”
“New wood stoves are also more efficient than older solid fuel burning appliances, so they use
less wood to provide more heat, and that’s a smarter, greener use of our resources,” the Mayor
adds.
The adoption of these amendments to the Clean Air Bylaw is timely, as the City recently
received a $20,000 grant from the Ministry of Environment for the Provincial Wood Stove
Exchange Program (PWEP). The City will work with the Lung Association of BC to administer
the initiative that provides financial incentives for community members to upgrade wood stoves.
“We are excited to announce that early in 2010 we will offer $250 rebates to the first 75
residents who voluntarily replace older, smoky and less-efficient wood stoves with new lowemission
appliances,” says Councillor Grant.
Burn It Smart education, providing tips and information to the public, is a mandatory component
of the initiative. In collaboration with the Provincial Government and PWEP project partners,
workshops will be held in the City over the winter months leading up to the woodstove
exchange. This will be a great opportunity for residents to learn about the program, find out how
the woodstove exchange works as well as other air quality initiatives and grants that may be
available. As further details become available, the City will continue to notify the media and post
information on the Internet at www.campbellriver.ca.
– 30 –
Contact: Terri Martin, Environmental Coordinator 250-286-5711

Puffdawg, you depress me. Here I live in the land of the "free" and now I find out the country to my north is more conservative than the USA. A liberal that cuts down trees and burns firewood, and all his friends do too? Your bull sh!ttn me right? Never heard of it , and I'm not kidding. It is a real boo his to cut a tree down in some places. Matter of fact I've seen protesters out there trying to stop from cuttong a tree down

Status
Not open for further replies.