Where can I buy a metal log stand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FATANDY21

Aug 25, 2014
NAPERVILLE, IL
So what I'm looking for is one of those 4 legged stands that clamps onto a log as seen in timbersport competitions so I can use it as part of a baseball workout regimen...any idea where to find one or nifty ideas to make one at home?

Attachments

• adamlasalle_midwest2012.jpg
    adamlasalle_midwest2012.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 226
Is it for high school baseball? Does the school have a metal shop? Is the metal shop teacher a baseball fan????

all the ones I've seen have been home made. A piece of metal pipe the right size, along with angle iron and a welder will get the job done.
Would be a good HS metal shop project as stated above. I would ask around and see if any local career centers etc would be interested in the project if you buy the materials, or if you are willing to pay, find a local welding shop.

No I'm outta college playing pro ball but one of my goals is to open a natural gym with various activities like this and splitting. I don't think my HS had a metal shop but I know the auto shop had a TIG welder and I was good friends with the teacher so maybe I could go there. So when you say metal pipe, are you talking like an 8 or 10" diameter bucket type thing to set the log in? What about implementing some adjustable clamps on the side for different sized logs?

i was thinking drill holes and weld in nuts to the large pipe, then use threaded rod or similar as your clamp. Screw the rod/bolt through the nut to hold the log in place. weight should do most of it, just need something to keep it from wobbling.

You could probably fab something up without the round pipe just using angle iron. Make a square out of the angle iron or square tubing for the log holder, then same idea with the threaded rod/nut to secure it inside the holder

Reactions: FATANDY21
one of my goals is to open a natural gym with various activities like this and splitting.

Using one of these in a gym seems like a recipe for a lot of dull axes.

Fab shop - take the photo, your check book and the idea. They will put one together in a day. Oh, and plan to pay heavy for your gyms liability insurance.

Reactions: TreePointer
Yeaa well I haven't gotten into particulars, but it's something I'd look into maybe 10 years down the road after some solid networking. So we won't only be a gym, but an axe sharpening firewood company! I hear a good forearm workout is to wrap bundles of wood in plastic wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.