1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Who is still burning?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by qualityleashdog, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

We have been doing morning and night fires here in Michigan. The temps are in the 30 to 40 range at night yet for us.

Pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We're in central PA and we burn anytime there are two consecutive nights in the 40's or lower. We've had a fire going since Sunday morning, usually burn regularly through May
  3. TX-L

TX-L Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Tug Hill State Forest, NY
    Absolutely still burning. Well, smoldering actually, since it's a BK. Right now everything is white with snow on Tug Hill, ya know...
  4. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Still burning in the NY Metro area. Its been going down to low 40s and a few nights high 30s. We have been running the wood stove and the pellet stoves at different intervals. If it gets to 66 indoors, the stove is coming on, thats my rule.
  5. charly

charly Guest

Still burning here as well. Been down in the 30's at night and still a good wind most of the day. Miss Esse and the Quad are cruising away.;)
  6. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Still burning in the NY Metro area. Its been going down to low 40s and a few nights high 30s. We have been running the wood stove and the pellet stoves at different intervals. If it gets to 66 indoors, the stove is coming on, thats my rule.
  7. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    Still buning some in the evening. Mass/NH border area. Lit the stove last night and the night before. If the inside temp gets down to low 60's I wil light a fire.
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

I guess my house just holds heat well? Was 30* when I got home last night, 73* in the house. It's about 9AM now, 70* in the house, 55* outside. By this evening it'll probably be 75ish in here.

If I made a fire with even just 2-3 sticks it would be way too hot! Just the heat from the sunlight all day is enough to keep the house plenty warm. If you compare, the stove heats the house just fine on "low" when it's -25* outside... in the 30s is quite warm in comparison!
  9. NSDave

NSDave Member

Loc:
    Halifax NS Canada
    Still burning evenings here in NS Canada; Stove is in the basement, and the temp stays around 15c so just a small fire to take the chill off while I watch some TV. beats turning up the electric heat.
  10. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I'm in the US Northeast, I've been taking the chill off at nite lately. Temps in the upper 30's low 40's forecast for the rest of the week.
  11. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Patio.jpg
    Had a fire every night for a over a week to take the chill off, but don't think I am going to need one tonight. Sitting on the patio with my buddy Oggie, enjoying the warm temps and the water garden.;)
    fishingpol likes this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We never figure the heating season is over until sometime in May. Some years it is early June. If the house is cool or cold, the fire gets lit.
  13. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    Tomorrow and Friday night are supposed to get into low 30's again so will probably relight stove once more.
  14. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I just may try the door firescreen tonight for the heck of it. Probably use it for 10 minutes, and then back under the stove where it has been all winter.
  15. mainemaul

mainemaul New Member

Loc:
    southern me.
    Nope, electric heater in living room here in southern maine. Seasoned wood is hard to get so i am saving it for the fall.
  16. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I have been running the electric oil heaters to take the chill off too.
  17. TIM RUTMAN

TIM RUTMAN Guest

Yes we are started burning again after having some mid 70 temps outside for a week. Back to 30 s at night. So the smoke is rolling.
  18. Applejacks

Applejacks Member

Loc:
    Northeast NY
    Peru, NY. We still fire up every day around 4 pm
  19. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I don't turn the gas furnace on in the dead of winter, so I can't bring myself to turn it on when there is just a chill. Besides, I love burning the stoves, so lighting a fire to take the chill off is easy for me. :cool:
  20. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Still burning in the 'burbs of NYC. It was 36 this morning. One fire in the late afternoon early evening seems to do it. I am previewing next year's Red Oak with some chunks and uglies c/s/s summer '10. It's gonna keep us nice and cozy next year!
    My Oslo heats my home likes this.
  21. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Still cold enough here in the wv mountains to have a fire at night and in some cases all day. Was 68 in here this morning so I broke down and turned the heat pump on. Just makes my hair stand on end to hear it running. Just as well throw your money out the window for all the good it does! Supposed to drop into the 30s tonight so I will probably fire up the liberty later.
  22. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Guess I am not the only one looking for nights with lows in the lower 40's to burn the new insert. I am loving the fact that I can wake up in the morning to a stove still blowing out hot air!
  23. Maple man

Maple man Burning Hunk

Loc:
    cairo ny in the catskill mtns
    In the Catskills in my we had a 1/2 in of snow stove is still going strong almost 5 courds this year
  24. nate379

nate379 Guest

Sounds like some of you guys have a different idea of cold then I do! It's been in the mid 50s here during the day and that is for sure T Shirt weather. Was pushing 70* in the house this morning, I had to open a window!
  25. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    You Alaskan's probably do have a different idea of cold, but I think you also have a different (better) idea of how to build well insulated houses too.