1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Who is still burning?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by qualityleashdog, Apr 24, 2012.

1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm done, I'm sure I have a few more nights ahead(Wednesday/Thursday) where a fire would be nice but I'm calling it good. I cleaned the stove out pretty good and don't feel like doing it again. All I can say is the belly in a BK is deep, it sure holds the ash! I'm sure it'll do the furnace good to run a little bit for a few days.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I still load the stove every other day. We have 30+ years here, wife gets cold below 72.
    When I here her kick on the furnace, I go load the stove :)
    50 & above on a sunny day, almost 17 hrs of sun now, "T" shirt for sure. (well me any way) Lot of solar heat gain on sunny days.

Wasilla weather:
    5-7 wthr.jpg
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Fire this morning . . . tried out some black locust courtesy of my buddy from last Fall.
  4. charly

charly Guest

ME :cool: Both stoves:) Endless wood supply.
  5. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    May 9th, 1:30am and I've been burning alder for the last four hours.
  6. Punky

Punky New Member

Loc:
    Merrimac Valley, MA
    I burned a load last night of the world's most disrespected wood: Cottonwood. Took the chill out of the house just fine.
    Even Pine get's more respect (and leaves more coals for a relight).
    I think even soggy, rotted, bug infested pine gets more respect than Cottonwood! :confused:
  7. TIM RUTMAN

TIM RUTMAN Guest

I got up late yesterday and my wife had a fire going. Just burnt one load of pine. This morning its 72 in the house.
  8. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Wife said it was fine in the house last night, so no fire (knowing full well it would be a bit chilly in the a.m.).
    This a.m., "it's a little chilly in here", so......fire.
    She never listens to me.;lol
  9. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    I started a fire first thing when I got home from work at 10:30 tonight. I'll likely have a couple more fires before the week is over. Low temps for the next few nights are supposed to be in the 30's.
  10. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Yah, I shut the stove down for a week and then we got a frost advisory for tonight, so I started it up again today. Found some cottonwood to get rid of. The house is cooking, 72 degrees, 38 outside. It was 85 the other day... suposed to be 85 again this weekend. This year is nuts. I was watching a Bosox game last week from Boston and they were in winter gear there.
  11. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Very little Sun for the last week - still burning to take the chill and damp out of the house - from the looks of things, won't be done for a while. Cheers!
  12. TX-L

TX-L Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Tug Hill State Forest, NY
    I had frost 2 days ago, now in the 50's, forecast for 38 tonight, 58 tomorrow, 40 tomorrow night. I'm sure the women I live with will NEED a fire soon... I might even like it myself.
  13. Creature

Creature Member

Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Probably 3/4 fires in the last week, but by the look of the forecast I might be done in the next couple days. Time to organize my wood piles and do some summer cleaning.
  14. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Spring comes late to Boston, its right on the water and you get a cold chilly wind. Ive been colder in April at Fenway than where I live in January.
  15. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Going to get into the 30's tonight so I'll fire it up again. Could use a little electric, but I feel like having what may be the last hoorah.

pen
  16. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Gonna fïnish some soft maple off tonite, going down to 42. Thanks to all - my first winter burning went a lot smoother than if I had been left to my own devices!
    pen likes this.
  17. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Just started one.
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Last night we dropped to 40 with rain, nothing for a fire. Tonight we are at 41 with rain, have some Cherry going then before I hit the sack I'll load up a few more splits.
    Since I charged the boat batteries the cold weather moved back in.

zap
  19. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    My AC is on.....Yuk!:mad:
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Done with it. Working on getting the third year out restored on the stacks by the end of May and then I don't want to see another piece of wood in my hands until October. Well, maybe except for chopsticks or something.
  21. nate379

nate379 Guest

They are calling for snow again tomorrow night. Got a little bit last week. Not worth firing the stove since the house stays warm enough. I'd rather spend the $20-30 on gas for the month vs fighting with the stove. It's not too bad in the winter, load the stove full, set it and forget it, but when it's pretty warm it seems like there always is a log or two extra, enough to make it 85* in the house. At that point it's really just wasting wood just to have a fire going.
  22. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I need a new avatar. The doors have been closed. It's summer.
  23. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    Got down to 30 last night so made another fire.
  24. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Had a short fire last night. Hoping it is the last one until September.
  25. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Had a fire last night with a couple pieces of oak and a couple maple. The maple was iffy when it went in, and the iffy went away when I tried to get the fire going.What a pain. Reminded me of when we first started burning. I knew better....but I can be stubborn.:p
    Good thing we're about done here, that 1/3 cord of maple can spend the summer getting finished off before I try to burn it again.
    I think we may be done. Forecast is moving in our favor. Now, where's that permethrin?