Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris418

Dec 4, 2015
upstate New York
From Craigslist. If I split and give half to owner I get it free. Not sure what type of wood. IMG9515261.jpg IMG9515271.jpg IMG9515281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a better pic of the end grain? Might be Tulip Poplar.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Tulip isn't too good, less output than soft Maple, even. We have a good deal of it here; I split it small and use it for starter wood. OTOH, if you're hurting for dry wood, it will dry pretty quick, especially if it was dead-standing.

I don't see poplar in the bark. Could still be ash. Hope it is!

Specie aside, that isn't the greatest deal either. When I scrounge wood, if the owner even wants any, it's gonna be 2/3 for me, and I don't split his. But it's already bucked to length (but is it the right length) and if it's Tulip or Ash it will split relatively easily.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.