wood pile experts - how much in this photo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
i'm thinking this would be a lot easier if someone was standing next to it as a reference point but sorry this is all i have to work with. anyone care to guess about how much wood is in this pile?

this isn't my pile, but it could be. i know its not a ton of wood.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6508576

I think you guys are right on the money 1 1/2 to 2 cords.

What do I win if I'm right?

I'm going with GVA. It's really hard to tell, but I'm thinking just over two cords.

I don't think there's anymore than 1.5 cords there; probably closer to 1.25 cords. That would be my guess. If I'm right do I win the pile?

Corie said:
I don't think there's anymore than 1.5 cords there; probably closer to 1.25 cords. That would be my guess. If I'm right do I win the pile?
Yeah but you gotta pick it up :cheese:

If you are the buyer, 1 cord. If you are the seller, 3 cords.

1 cord (we are playing The Price is Right rule, right....closest without going over...)

I'm gonna guess 2 solid face-cords........

I'd say about 3/4 cord, maybe a little less. I'm assuming splits are about 16" wide.

If you look at the pile assuming splits are 16" wide, the pile is about 12' long.

The back stack is about the same length but seems to have about 1.75 to two times the wood.

If you assume the front pile is 16" x 144" x 24" high on average and the back pile is double that volume you get:

16" x 144" x 24" x 3 = 165,888 in^3 which is 96 ft^3 which equals about 3/4 of a cord.

That sound about right?

ok, thanks everyone although the 'range' in opinion hasn't exactly made this a slam dunk.
they want $100 for it and i have to go pick it up about 10-15 minutes from my house.

since its now september and i have about that much myself (and usually burn twice that) i think i'll spin the wood pile roulette wheel and go for it.
worst case its a cord and i saved some money by picking it up myself and anything over that is a bonus.
i can use the exercise.

I'd say it's a full cord of nice, dry wood, but I think TMonter is probably closer with his 3/4-cord estimate. Like BB says, it's more if you're selling than if you're buying.

Considering that nice, dry wood goes for around $200 per cord most places, I'd say that $100 is a pretty good deal, whether it's a full cord or somewhat less.

For $100, I'd think that's a fair deal, especially on the east coast.

Steve

I'd say its worth it depending on the type of wood. Do you know what it is?

1-1/8 To 1-1/4 at best.

A cord or just shy, no matter, for the buyer $100 seems very reasonable!!

hey chris

it looks like the splits are about 12 inches and i would say 1 cord.
but it does look nice and dry.
i'd buy it. seems cheap for 1 cord.
don't forget to let us know how much you got.

yes, after this the least i can do is stack it nice enough for an official measurement.
rumor has it BrotherBart is donating a case of Natural Light to the closest guesser :)

TMonter said:
I'd say about 3/4 cord, maybe a little less. I'm assuming splits are about 16" wide.

If you look at the pile assuming splits are 16" wide, the pile is about 12' long.

The back stack is about the same length but seems to have about 1.75 to two times the wood.

If you assume the front pile is 16" x 144" x 24" high on average and the back pile is double that volume you get:

16" x 144" x 24" x 3 = 165,888 in^3 which is 96 ft^3 which equals about 3/4 of a cord.

That sound about right?

I'm right there with you, maybe closer to 2/3's of a full cord. The back pile doesn't seem to be 4' tall. To be a full (non face) cord, the pile would have to be 16"deep x4' high x 24' long. Another way to look at it, if we say both the front and the back piles are 12' long, and the wood is 16", you would need both piles to be 4' high!

kwburn said:
yes, after this the least i can do is stack it nice enough for an official measurement.
rumor has it BrotherBart is donating a case of Natural Light to the closest guesser :)

Using the Price is Right rules, I'm going with .667 cords of wood. And when I win, I'd like to donate my prize back to the Virgina branch of the Brother Bart Fan Club.

kwburn said:
i'm thinking this would be a lot easier if someone was standing next to it as a reference point but sorry this is all i have to work with. anyone care to guess about how much wood is in this pile?

this isn't my pile, but it could be. i know its not a ton of wood.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6508576

1 cord exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.