Wood stove insert for my hearth conditions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradleyS

Nov 10, 2013
Long Island, NY
I am still shopping for insert. I was speaking to a local Chimney/ sweep / installer that mostly deals with Napoleon products. He said he can install PE also. So I asked for quote on the Summit insert.

He then asked me which model? That's when I got confused I thought the Summit insert was the model and the only differences would be trim choices?

Any help.

As of right now I am between Harman 300i (which wife likes), PE summit model???, and Lennox C310

Model: Summit Insert - Series C

Series C appears to be the newest model, and have yet to hear any feedback from anyone who actually has one. That is the model which PE's site offers the current manual (but no pictures on site last I checked--just the B&W on the manual cover). A few of us have the B model which was new this past year. The C has the advantage of significantly reducing mantel clearance. But apparently they are still offering the B model. And actually someone just posted here about installing a new A model (dealers display or leftover).

I would want the C but would be curious on seeing the price difference for a B. Would suggest avoiding the A. The B & C both have a bay shaped exposed cast iron top and ash lip. The A does not have that feature (it's all steel except for the door).

Last edited:
Yeah since it has to be ordered I said the Series C to get all of the improvements and to insure getting EBT2.

Wife likes the Harman, so it really doesn't matter about the Summit models;).

Reactions: BrotherBart
Ah yes. The WAF.

Reactions: Dave A.
Thanks for all the replies. So I will look for the C series model. The local dealer/ salesman was not familiar with any differences. Maybe they just order them and get the latest from the MFG.
I think I can sell my wife on the Summit, once I explain that the Harman's pretty window will probably be black most of the time do to it's firedome technology.

Oh well, I finally got the PE dealer out to the house. I thought I had all the measurements right. Except for the depth of the fireplace ceiling. I think its called a lintel. Anyway this lintel is pretty deep to where the flue goes up and out. Around 19-21'' from front of the hearth.

I have a masonry existing fireplace. I have/had a deposit for a PE summit insert. Unfortunately, it looks like that will not be able to be installed.

IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0871.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the pictures are not the greatest. I am trying to show the depth of the lintel from the front of the hearth to where the flue is.

Merged this with the previous thread for continuity. What is the issue? Won't fit? We can't tell too much without full dimensions including H & W in front and the back too and for the floor to the lintel. Also include the top and bottom depth measurements too.

Also, what is that big (steel?) curtain in the picture with the brush? Is that the "lintel" If so it almost looks like a deeply embeded heatform fireplace.

Last edited:
Can you provide the dimensions requested in written form?

That is a smoke shield
Is smoke shield the problem? If yes, can it be removed?

Fireplace Measurements

A = Opening Height = 26 3/8"
B = Width in Front = 36"
C = Width in Back= 26 1/2 "

D = Depth of Fireplace = 27"
E = Hearth to Mantle = 42"
F = Hearth to Combustible Mantle bracket = 37 6/16"

G = Height of fireplace floor to lintel = 27 1/2"
H = Width of Hearth = 82 1/2"
I = Depth of Hearth = 18"

Last edited:
Can you provide the dimensions requested in written form?

Is smoke shield the problem? If yes, can it be removed?
Smoke shield was put in to help with using the fireplace in its current condition. It is on a tension rod, can and would be removed prior to installation of stove.

Not the problem. Problem is ceiling of fireplace (lintel) to where the flue is

At 26" high it would seem like there is a lot of wiggle room, but obviously that is not the case. Is the issue that the damper frame is much lower toward the back of the fireplace? Is that where the 19" is being measured?

No, it is that it is that deep, actually closer to 21". Height is roughly consistent.
IMG_0903.jpg IMG_0902.jpg

See where the wire goes up to the top of chimney damper. That is approximately 21" from front of fireplace.

That is what the technician(installer) said was the problem. It is too much of an offset supposedly from the top of insert vent to the flue.

Last edited:
Did they discuss using an offset box if need be?

Did they discuss using an offset box if need be?
Yes they did, and it seems that the offset is too much. :(

I am going to speak to the dealer tomorrow and get options o]and/or other units that might be more applicable for my situation.

The tech mention Travis industries flush model. Not sure which one he was speaking of? Maybe a Lopi ?

Normally the throat of the chimney could be cut to reduce the offset. Mine was done that way to allow the insert to protrude into the room.

Did the installer mention if this was possible? It isn't unusual to modify the fire box or throat to get the insert installed.

He balked a little. I will inquire again with a more detailed question.

I am looking at this and I am wondering why I can't modify the plate right before it goes up to the flue. The fireplace looks to have the old damper still in place except for the movable door. At some point that was removed and an Accordian style rain cap/ damper installed on top of Chimney. A long wire cord comes down flue and goes to a bracket close to the front of fireplace. This cord is pulled tight to bracket to close or released to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.