Woodstock's New Stove - Last Minute Predicitions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy if they would just announce the official split length the stove is rated for. I just got another load of trees read to be cut- should I go with 20"? To be safe I should stick w/ 16" and load NS and EW.

Well, lessee what we can see in the dark. . .in an early blog entry, they guesstimate Frankenst0ve's dimensions @ 32"H x 30"W x 22"D. FV = 28" x 26" x 20" and will take a 20" split if positioned within the door area. Now, these are not final #'s for Frankenstove, and outer stove dims don't necessarily correlate to firebox dims, but it's hard to imagine Frankenstove not taking 20" splits if it is indeed 4" wider than the FV, which does (kinda) take a 20" split. My WAG = that Frankie is much more likely to take 20" EW than 16" NS, since the projected depth (22") is only 2" deeper than the FV, which is ~ 12" NS. There's also the question of allowing adequate room for air circulation and outgassing @ the ends of the logs, which may be why WS recommends 16" for the FV even though it easily accepts 18". I would probably cut 16" so it'll fit in whatevever stove you might end up with. . .maybe you won't like Frankenst0ve, and you'll end up loading 16's NS in a T6. Is that enough speculation for you? :)

Franks said:
I'm gonna predict its gonna be heavy, beautiful and that the units made in year two will be the ones to buy. You heard it here first!

+1 I have to agree with you as a new unit and new technology I feel there will be problems with the 1st year stoves fixed for the following year.. I like the CAD drawings except for the legs on the new stove.. They just don't seem to fit the style of the new stove.. Now if they created a convection feature that would get my attention!

Ray

Even though my stove can take a 21" split I cut them at 16". Much more flexible when loading to be several inches shy of the max. This allows me to sell or give some wood away too.

16" wood is where it's at.

Highbeam said:
Even though my stove can take a 21" split I cut them at 16". Much more flexible when loading to be several inches shy of the max. This allows me to sell or give some wood away too.

16" splits in a 21" stove might make sense in Puget Sound with Summer like Winters, but when it hits 10 below zero for three nights straight, some of us need every last inch of BTU!

fire_man said:
Highbeam said:

16" splits in a 21" stove might make sense in Puget Sound with Summer like Winters, but when it hits 10 below zero for three nights straight, some of us need every last inch of BTU!

try 30 below for multiple nights- then you REALLY need those larger pieces of wood!

And a polar bear to snuggle up to.

BeGreen said:
And a polar bear to snuggle up to.

how about a grizzly- do they make good subsitutes in the absence of polar bears? %-P

Don't ask me, I don't do 30 below, period.

Oh, but the stove sure works better when its -30! I mean, much better than it does during a 40 degree summer rainy day (which i presume is equivalent to a Seattle winter day) :)

I've been in -30 temperatures only 3 times and do not care to experience it again even with a new stove and plenty of fuel.

-30 is nice, because when it warms back up, it makes single digits above zero, which would normal feel cold, feel like a heat wave! haha

Maybe I'm just too adapted to cool climates, but I'd take -30 over +100 any day... in cold weather you can at least bundle up to stay comfortable outside, but when it's hot, you can only strip off so many layers... once you get down to just shorts & no shirt, & you're still hot, well... you're kinda S-O-L.. my opinion anyways... people down in the tropics would probably disagree with that, but whatever... ;)

You folks have a point, our normal winter day is 35 to 40 and rain. Dark for all but about 8 hours. We have nothing else to do but sit inside and stuff the stove with our short pieces of softwood so the standard 16" size works well.

We get single digit temps and we get triple digit temps and I like both much more than the average 45 degree temps which is too warm to freeze the mud and too cold to go play in. I grew up here but am ready for a change. The moss grows thick on my back.

I got another woodstock notice that their sale was ending.

I emailed Woodstock letting them know I was preparing my wood for the coming winter and that I wanted to know what length to cut my wood at for the new stove. They ensured me that I would be fine at 20". I did point out that stoves like the Jøtul F 600 Firelight have shortened space to the right of the door and even though Jotul states the stove can take a 24" piece, it can only to the front and middle of the stove. So I am assuming, from what Woodstock said, that a 20" piece will fit throughout the stove.

Highbeam said:

Anyone hear anything? Last I heard was sometime in June, well June is almost done and all I get back from them is to keep an eye on the blog.

The lack of info really really bugs me.

IF the Englander 30 ever gets replaced by a more decorative stove and I go the cat route or some cat/2nd-ary route, I may consider the new Woodstock, but as this thing drags on - I might also consider the new VC 2-in-1 top loading Defiant - IF the quality of product and company returns.

Bill

Todd said:
Anyone hear anything? Last I heard was sometime in June, well June is almost done and all I get back from them is to keep an eye on the blog.

Ah, but June of what year?

I just hope there was no unpleasant surprise when they had the EPA Emissions test performed, or a last minute technical performance/reliability glitch?

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

I don't have any inside info, but know some basics. This new stove was designed using the most modern means available - that means computer based from start to finish, including the machining of the final patterns, etc.

This effectively means that once everything is locked in stone, it is a relatively short time from "OK" to castings.

That said, my own experience with projects such as this has caused me to write a new parable:
"EVERYTHING costs more and takes longer than planned".

Murphys law is always at work. Things can and do go wrong...usually the things you think are NOT going to. For example, it is less likely, IMHO, to be held up by big things (castings, EPA, etc.) than by ridiculous things like "cat supplier is not supplying".

That's the whole concept of Murphys Law. Not matter what due diligence you follow, Murphy rears his head somewhere else.

A new cast iron stove like this is a big project. Big money and thousands of hours...

Soon come....is my prediction (uneducated).....Let's say, for BS sake, some samples in Sept, and more by end Oct.
We'll see if I win "The Price is Right".

Okay, I've stated this before and will again. I do not expect this stove to be complete in early summer and do expect it to be publicly introduced (as do others) at Woodstock's annual Open house. That is normally held in late summer and the potential date for that this year is September 10 but that is not final. It could even happen in October.

What I do know is that they are working on the manual. The castings are at the foundry waiting to be cast yet. The name has not been finalized yet either. They do have quite a list already of folks who want the stove but have not taken any deposits yet. Heck, they haven't even settled on a price yet!

So there you have it folks. I think the real question is will it be introduced at the Open House or will it be later? Will the Open House be in September or October.

Come on Craig. You probably know more about this than any of us. Or is your prediction and mine based on the same thing? Maybe I'll win based on "The Price is high?"

Finally an update on Woodstock's blog. Looks like the new stove will start shipping in Oct. Here are some specs from their blog.

Weight 610lbs
Fire box 2.7cu ft
Burn time easy 12 hrs
BTU range 10,000- 80,000

No picture yet but at least they have some numbers.

http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/

Oh, and there is still a chance of winning a new stove if you come up with a good name! Keep it clean guys.

Todd said:
Finally an update on Woodstock's blog. Looks like the new stove will start shipping in Oct. Here are some specs from their blog.

Weight 610lbs
Fire box 2.7cu ft
Burn time easy 12 hrs
BTU range 10,000- 80,000

No picture yet but at least they have some numbers.

http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/

Oh, and there is still a chance of winning a new stove if you come up with a good name! Keep it clean guys.

Sounds like another winner Todd! Look forward to seeing the finished product!

Ray

Most here will recall last winter when we talked about naming the stove. So here is from their blog:

"By the way, we still don’t have an “official†name for this stove. We’ve been using the name we used as a header (“PROGRESS Hybridâ€) but if you have a better idea, please send it in (it might just win you a stove!). We have another acronym nickname for it internally- The BMF- but that nickname would be turned down if we applied for a vanity license plate using the same acronym. So... we are still considering our options and probably will be considering them up until the 11th hour (when we have to send the manual to the printer, or confirm the name (as opposed to model number) with EPA."

I have shot out a few possible names to them and now they have posted they will gladly accept other possible names. Is anyone up to the task?

Status
Not open for further replies.