Woodstock's New Stove - Last Minute Predicitions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
Sounds like a good time we need to drag Bart up there with us...

The new stove is steel??? :coolgrin:

We could spray it flat black to make you feel at home lol..

Ray

raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
Sounds like a good time we need to drag Bart up there with us...

The new stove is steel??? :coolgrin:

We could spray it flat black to make you feel at home lol..

Ray

The new stove has a bit of everything, stone, cast, and even a steel baffle. What are you waiting for BB, time to get on the waiting list! You know you want one.

I smell a roadtrip here. I just have to check the place out. If anyone up in this area wants to carpool, PM me. We can split gas/coffee/doughnuts. I have clearance from the wifey. Strange... almost like she wants me to go.

Todd said:
That makes sense Den. . .
I made sense! Woohoo! :)

Todd said:
The new stove has a bit of everything, stone, cast, and even a steel baffle. . .
Yep, and the diagram looks like it shows firebrick on the vertical walls like many EPA stoves have, but a first for Woodstock. I think Dennis might be right about the double-wall construction going bye-bye. I see only 1 wall above the glass and in the back.

Den said:
Todd said:
That makes sense Den. . .
I made sense! Woohoo! :)

Todd said:
The new stove has a bit of everything, stone, cast, and even a steel baffle. . .
Yep, and the diagram looks like it shows firebrick on the vertical walls like many EPA stoves have, but a first for Woodstock. I think Dennis might be right about the double-wall construction going bye-bye. I see only 1 wall above the glass and in the back.

Nope, I asked and they will have a double wall of soapstone like the other stoves in their lineup.

Todd said:
Some more info on the new stove has a cut away of the new combustion system, pretty cool.

http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/

That is cool. They've provided some interesting design and material considerations. I like their positioning of the catalyst to project heat forward into the room and the finned exchanger to recoup heat on the backside.

One little problem we have is all the insulation we added to the house plus all new windows and doors. Now I think if we put one of these stoves in we may have to sleep in the barn to be cool enough! But that is a nice problem to have; the Fireview should be stove enough for us.

Yeah, like Dennis I would really like to try this new stove out but it would definitely be overkill for my tight house. Heck, a Keystone on each 1000 sq ft level of my home can be overkill at times.

I think if this new stove works out over then next few years I can see Woodstock modifying their other stoves to the same combustion systems. This new stove was originally suppose to be a Fireview upgrade but turned into a larger stove by popular demand, so I'm sure they have it in future plans.

I can see that plumbing fitting nicely into all the empty space in the top of the FV. :) They did need a larger stove in their lineup though. . .probably the #1 reason for returns under their generous guarantee. Now when those folks return their stoves, instead of a lost sale, it can be an exchange for a BMF. I can't think of another major mfr whose lineup tops out at ~ 2 cu ft. The FV is enough for me too, but the extra capacity would be nice for longer burns on cold days. If the stove burns hapily @ 10,000 BTU/hr when you don't need the extra heat, I don't see the downside, except for dirty glass, maybe.

. . .another nice thing I see in the new design is that the bypass damper has been moved to the front of the stove, so when the bypass is open, you still get heat passing across the top of the stove and over the heat exchanger before going up the flue. Located at the rear on the FV, the bypass dumps the heat almost directly into the flue, which may be great for installations with draft problems but doesn't help in getting 500 lbs of stone + iron up to temp from a cold start. Doh!

You guys are making me salivate over the new stove, which I can't have till next year. I especially want true 12 hour burns. On really cold nights I have to burn the FV hard and reload after 6-8 hrs ( even with 3 year old Oak).That makes it hard to get a good night's sleep on weekends. I'm hoping by changing my old windows, the FV will do better this year.

Den said:
I can see that plumbing fitting nicely into all the empty space in the top of the FV. :) They did need a larger stove in their lineup though. . .probably the #1 reason for returns under their generous guarantee. Now when those folks return their stoves, instead of a lost sale, it can be an exchange for a BMF. I can't think of another major mfr whose lineup tops out at ~ 2 cu ft. The FV is enough for me too, but the extra capacity would be nice for longer burns on cold days. If the stove burns hapily @ 10,000 BTU/hr when you don't need the extra heat, I don't see the downside, except for dirty glass, maybe.

Den, I doubt dirty glass will be a problem with this stove any more than with the Fireview. With our Fireview we got dirty glass when we did the burn-in. Since then we have not got dirty glass other than some ash on it; no black.

fire_man said:
You guys are making me salivate over the new stove, which I can't have till next year. I especially want true 12 hour burns. On really cold nights I have to burn the FV hard and reload after 6-8 hrs ( even with 3 year old Oak).That makes it hard to get a good night's sleep on weekends. I'm hoping by changing my old windows, the FV will do better this year.

I was in the same boat as you my first year with my Fireview. The following year I upgraded the windows and blew more insulation in the attic which made a huge difference.

Based on an email I just received from the company, I'm going to predict the new stove will be named...
the PROGRESS HYBRID.

branchburner said:
Based on an email I just received from the company, I'm going to predict the new stove will be named...
the PROGRESS HYBRID.

Wrong! They are going to take up my recommendation and give me a free stove for it. :coolgrin:

That is an awful name.

I still think Rocky is the best name for it.

Just stopping in to apologize to anyone who submitted a name suggestion. I haven't heard back, yet, but I'm confident they'll be using my choice.

I seriously considered submitting the Woodstock "Woodstove", cause then they could have subsequent model versions and you could indicate which version by calling it your WWI or WWII, etc. Then I realized that it was a pretty stupid idea, so I figured someone here already submitted it, lolololol.

Status
Not open for further replies.