Woodstove exhaust pipe questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdventurousAttorney

Oct 25, 2016
Long Island
Hi Everyone,

A new member here. I am doing some research to see if I can update my free standing fire place with a closed wood stove [see pic below]. In particular the Hearthstone models that have the soapstone on the exterior. My goal is to replace the preexisting fireplace with a new unit that I can actually use.

My current setup is I have a 9 inch pipe that leads straight up to through the vaulted ceiling. One chimney expert who I requested an estimate from told me it would be impossible to reuse the preexisting exhaust pipe and that an entirely new 6 inch pipe would need to be run. The approximate cost of the pipe with installation is $1,600.

My question is, is this guy blowing smoke or must this pipe be replaced and why can't the existing setup be used with something like an adapter?

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

The Adventurous Attorney

ISdkoc6o9jf41m0000000000.jpg

Attachments

• ISdkoc6o9jf41m0000000000.jpg
    ISdkoc6o9jf41m0000000000.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
No the installer is correct. Most modern stoves require 6in stovepipe/chimney. $1600 may be a reasonable price.....it doesn't seem real high and probably an appropriate price depending on the total length. If you use the 9in pipe your stove will not perform as efficiently and you'll have more creosote formation due to the larger pipe. I would recommend the pipe be insulated as well so it'll produce even less creosote, ie.....much safer.

ccmac is right on pipe size. Stoves are matched to a stove pipe size for proper draft, if not the correct size you'll experience poor performance like smoke in the house, excessive creosote etc. Common size for stove pipe is usually 6" ID but sometimes more. In addition the temps the pipe will be exposed to will be hotter with a stove than what you get in an open fireplace situation.

Odds are the old Malm fireplace has an air cooled chimney that is not rated for wood stove temps. You'll need to replace the chimney with class A high temp chimney pipe.

Not gong to say much with that screen name :) make sure that what ever stove you end up going with that you at least meet the minimum height for that stove, most are at 15ft, seeing that your in LI your price seems kind of low, check and make sure the installer is certified and that he'll be doing new outside flashing work, usually comes in a kit made by the same chimney brand company.

If it's 9" ID pipe couldn't they just drop a 6" insulated liner down it? That cost should be pretty reasonable. Definitely check to make sure the installer is qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.