10 Cord Log Load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
This was received and processed late this past winter. Mostly maple with some black cherry mixed in. The circle is 20 feet across (diameter) and the dog is 29 inches at the withers (front shoulder). Notice the large rounds at the top of the perimeter. Crotchety sonsofpuffers did not respect the Fiskars. Including two year stacks of oak, we are warm through the spring of 2020.

Firewood-1.jpg Firewood01-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stack there-wish I had that much flat land (and wood). I'm on a lake so a lot of my yard is sloped.

I'm just about done with my 17-18 stash, all red oak, I'll be done next week. Should be right about 4 cords. I've got one more cord to split and stack. It will have 2 summers of drying with a lake breeze so it should be OK. I have Envi blocks as well.

This year have about 2.5 cords of Shagbark and have a bunch of dead/standing dead right in my woods. I gotta get a move on with that!

Reactions: mikey517
Big dog, bigger stack. That's impressive.

Is the bottom layer completely off the ground on the ring and inside the ring?

The entire pile is right on the ground. The firewood will be moved to stacks with landscape timbers as runners during September of 2017.

Is that really 10 cord?

That's a long time on damp ground for a lot of wood. Hopefully it comes through OK.
I have no worries or woulda done different. Now if it were of a softwood, fifteen months would be iffy.

Is that really 10 cord?
Like the title says "10 Cord Log Load". I believe the math is rather close too. I will say that it is a loose load inside which is typical for a tossed pile.

Pie x radius squared x height = 3.14 x 100 x 4 (approximate) = 1256
1256/128 = 9.8

Aspen landed on the nice maple woodpile.

Three large ones that I did not want to risk them falling where the wind chose, about 2 full cords.

aspen-2.jpg aspen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a long time on damp ground for a lot of wood. Hopefully it comes through OK.
A couple weeks ahead of schedule and found the bottom today. Did rather well. The first image is of the ground layer (pieces actually laying in the dirt) and the second image shows some pieces flipped. As you can see, the ground is moist and some dirt clung to the wood. I have not seen any rot.
fffw-2.jpg
ffw-3.jpg

This is what remains of the round pile. The trailer holds the crotches I have chosen not to process further, and the shorts from log load processing. Will donate to a nearby family with an outdoor boiler.

FRFirewood stuff-2.jpg

Here is what will get us through the spring of 2020, already a half cord stacked in the boiler room. By the way, had two burns in early September due to a short chill. Looks like an easy start in our area for the heating season with another week of unseasonably warm days.

FRFirewood stuff.jpg

Feel good when you have lots of wood ready to go don't it

Nice stacks. I too have 3 years worth of firewood cut, slips and stacked. It's nice to be ahead.

What kind of dog do you have? Looks like a Doberman or A Rottweiler We have a 3 YO black Great Dane that is always around me when I work on firewood.