118 Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njm40

Apr 23, 2011
Michigan
My husband and I have acquired a new (still in the crate) green enamil wood stove. It has a cabin sceen on the the side with moose, horse, trees, etc. The paperwork with it is dated 2010. Does anyone know the value of it if I decide to sell? We already own a Vermont Casting stove and are quite happy with it. Sorry Its at 118. Had the wrong number.

At this time of year it might be a bit harder to sell. If you can wait until fall you may be able to sell for a bit less that list price. I would guess in the $1400-1600 range for an enameled model. By fall there may be a price increase and the market demand will be high. So who knows, to the right buyer maybe even $1800 by then?

Was the 118CB ever available in green enamel? I thought it only came in matte black. I've only ever seen the old 118 (which is not worth anywhere near $1800) in green enamel.

JonOfSunderland said:
Was the 118CB ever available in green enamel? I thought it only came in matte black. I've only ever seen the old 118 (which is not worth anywhere near $1800) in green enamel.
I thought this also, the only 118cb I have seen was the Black Bear, in matte black. I could be wrong, where did it come from? Can you post some pics of it?

Hmm, interesting. Better knowledge of what is in the crate would really help.

That might be quite a find if it new in crate. The Original 118's had the moose/wilderness scene on the sides, the new ones , however, do not.. and they are no longer make them in green enamel. You might have an original never been used 118 that someone stuffed a 2010 owners manual in!

Thats a pretty nice find. If you find the right buyer, may be able to get almost $2k for it. I'd test the waters via ebay and CL and see what you can stir up. As mentioned above, you'll probably get the most bang for your buck if you waited till fall, unless oil keeps climbing, then who knows.

Is the stove door solid, with a big dial air intake, or does it have a small window with a criss-cross grille?

Pyro is correct! That is an original 188 with the cabin and moose on the side. I am not sure what the value of a pre epa 188 in a crate would be. At this point its almost priceless.

I have one of those - from the late 70's. Definitely not a 2010 model.

New in the crate? I would imagine it would be worth something over $600 to a nostalgic person, but even though I LOVE my 118, I wouldn't give much over that for a 'new' old one.

It doesn't have the new technology and it is just 'old'. I would love to have it, but not at a price of a newer model 'new' stove.

Quite a stove though - great quality. If you can't get rid of it, let me know. :)

OK, I went and did a little more digging out there in the crate, and bypassed my husband. Someone has downloaded the manual for the Jotul 118 and they did it in 2010...sorry for listening to my husband. Ok the Manuel is in a foreign language, looks like german or swedish? The stove is the enamel green with the moose, cabin scene. Thanks for all the coments. I probably will list it on Craigs list in the fall.

Definitely open up the stove door and inspect it to be sure this is indeed an unused stove. If so, I think you might be able to get in the $1200 range for a reasonably quick sale in fall. But for the right person, maybe more?

I'd stick to 2k all day for that unit if Unused in crate.. quite a find.. brand new ones go for 1700+ without the nice detailings on the cast, no enamel. Used 118's in the green can fetch about 600 in good shape 'rund here.

Status
Not open for further replies.