15° outside . . . cozy inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Woke up at 4:30 this morning to find it 15° outside and a bit gusty. Cozy inside at 71°. Burning Heatr's from HD.

Room Temp set at about 74 typically gives me 71/72 in real temp and has done so despite the colder weather. Feed rate 3, because the Heatr's are pretty small and each auger crank delivers more fuel than with a longer pellet.

If the cold weather persists, as forecasted, for more than another 36 hours, I will burn oil for a half hour in the morning and again before bed to heat the envelope and farther reaches of the house with my beautiful old cast iron steam radiators. Our 1800 sq. ft., 120 year old, stone and brick house retains heat well, despite poor/little insulation, so no complaints here.

Stay warm my friends!

Reactions: 7acres
Ten degrees here, sixty-nine to seventy inside which is where we have room temp set. Burning Lignetics in our Harman with no problems.

Car said -9 this morning. P62A set to room temp manual with the wireless thermostat set to 69 with a 1 deg swing. Perfectly comfortable throughout the house.

Sorry about the -9!

I find feed rate has little to do with how many pellets I use in my Harman. It's more based on what the BTU of the pellets is. Hotter pellets use less to do the same job.. More feed rate catches the house up faster, less feed rate takes longer. More BTU also catches the house up faster and less BTU takes longer. I run the feed rate right around 4- 4.25 regardless of what I dump in the hopper. The stove does the rest. I'm not beating the system by second guessing feed rate. I know the ash line limit on one pellet only, that was full bore at feed rate 5.

That said, it was 14 out earlier, 74 inside. Okanagan DF's feed rate a notch over 4 cause that's where it landed last time I touched the knob. I rolled the trash out down the driveway for pickup at 6:10 am and thought dam I'm glad I'm retired. Felt good when I went back in the warm house, not out to work to jump start a junk delivery truck. And now they are predicting less than an inch of snow today, nice was going to be a few. Today Is A Good Day.

Last edited:
10* outside, 74* inside.
Room temp/auto, set at 75.
Burning Heatr's.
I love my P43 :)

Burning Big Heats in my Englander staying warm with heat and blower on 9 and 9. Woke up to 65, turned a few fans on as now we're up to 69.

15° outside .   .   . cozy inside

3 degrees and windy as all get out this morning when I got up at 3:30. Bedroom was 71 (ahhhh!), living room about 75. Thermostat for St. Croix is in office set at 73. Burning FSU's, the combo of all seems to be working well.

Downstairs stove still set on room temp at 73-75 and it is plenty warm down there using a mix of Curran's and Maine's Choice. Garage was still 30 degrees despite temps/wind (surprisingly - usually runs 10* warmer than outside air). Turned the Temp Guard on last night and will let it do its thing for the next week or so (run boiler 3x/day, 10 minutes each time)

Life is good and warm!

Now, just need a pellet stove at work to keep warm. These FHA systems just don't do it :)

Green supremes keeping house at 71 on setting 2 with my ashley 5660 14 degrees this morning. Unfortanetly have to shut it down every night so the furnace gets run time to heat the water pipes in the basement

12F here with a 0F windchill. Pellet stove is keeping my house very cozy, a massive step up from baseboard electric heaters :)

Reactions: bogieb
Woke up at 4:30 this morning to find it 15° outside and a bit gusty. Cozy inside at 71°. Burning Heatr's from HD.

Room Temp set at about 74 typically gives me 71/72 in real temp and has done so despite the colder weather. Feed rate 3, because the Heatr's are pretty small and each auger crank delivers more fuel than with a longer pellet.

If the cold weather persists, as forecasted, for more than another 36 hours, I will burn oil for a half hour in the morning and again before bed to heat the envelope and farther reaches of the house with my beautiful old cast iron steam radiators. Our 1800 sq. ft., 120 year old, stone and brick house retains heat well, despite poor/little insulation, so no complaints here.

Stay warm my friends!

It had better be warm and toasty there or the dear lady of the house will employ drastic measures not seen since the revolution_g.

Woke up to a -20F (-29C) outside temp this morning. The stove had finally left idle mode and settled to 3/5 to maintain a nice 71F inside temp! The car interior was another story however! :)

It had better be warm and toasty there or the dear lady of the house will employ drastic measures not seen since the revolution_g.

I always wondered why she likes French food so much. Fortunately, the house is still snug, so the temperatures are only plunging outside - not in!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
nice and toasty here 13 outside 78 inside

Tightened up some air leaks here and ended up turning the stove down for overnight. It was 14 outside and 76 inside, a touch warm even for me. I lowered the temp control a bit to about 72, got up this morning the house was 74 and 13 outside. They say 0 deg F coming for tonight, the wind has turned NW after a little N wind snow squall overnight, must be true. Sounds typical.

Woke up this morning. It was 14F outside. Englander running on 3 with Blazers in the stove, house was 74F. Supposed to have windchills down to -45F tonight. Think I'll be running the stove a little higher tonight :). First real test since we installed the stove this year. I'll probably run the forced hot air tonight once or twice to insure that no pipes freeze up.

Woke up this morning. It was 14F outside. Englander running on 3 with Blazers in the stove, house was 74F. Supposed to have windchills down to -45F tonight. Think I'll be running the stove a little higher tonight :). First real test since we installed the stove this year. I'll probably run the forced hot air tonight once or twice to insure that no pipes freeze up.
Run forced hot air so pipes don't freeze up? I'm curious about this. Do you have some domestic water pipes in exterior walls of rooms that are very cold (extremely uneven temperatures in your house when compared to the 74 you included in your post)?

Run forced hot air so pipes don't freeze up? I'm curious about this. Do you have some domestic water pipes in exterior walls of rooms that are very cold (extremely uneven temperatures in your house when compared to the 74 you included in your post)?
I live in a mobile home. The previous home owners had a really bad pipe freeze and re-plumbed the place with the water lines running through the mostly interior walls. The one pipe I am worried about runs through the forced hot air ducting, and I am probably a little paranoid about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.