16:1 fuel/oil mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is the first I heard of.. 16;1 MIX
I HAVE SOME 40:1 , 32;1, 50:1 ... NOT GOING TO DO ANOTHER
Which mix would you use ?
It's for a Craftsman -358-356070

Last edited:
Depends on the age of the saw. Older stuff typically likes a richer mixture. I prefer 40:1 for my saws.

When Stihl came out with there synthetic oil, I switched to it. The saw runs real nice. I use it in all my 2 cycle equipment, never fouled a plug in anything. A bit pricey but I'm only cutting 2-3 cords a year.

This is the first I heard of.. 16;1 MIX
I HAVE SOME 40:1 , 32;1, 50:1 ... NOT GOING TO DO ANOTHER
Which mix would you use ?
It's for a Craftsman -358-356070
I'll use 32:1 in 40:1 or one weird thing I have that calls for 25:1, but wouldn't dream of using 32:1 in something calling for 16:1. That's cutting your piston ring lubrication in half... and that's the closest ratio with what you have. Get ready to replace rings (at the very least...).

I use 32:1 in everything from ported saws to antiques
use quality oil,good gas and a splash of Seafoam

Reactions: Deets and JRHAWK9
I use 32:1 in everything from ported saws to antiques
use quality oil,good gas and a splash of Seafoam

exactly what I use in all my 2 strokes.

Reactions: Deets
My homelite zip calls for sae30 for mix oil. And I believe it said a pint of oil for a gallon of gas

I wonder how much compression it would take in a little saw motor to burn that much oil efficiently, also how hot a plug would be to not fowl.
I haven't ran it. It was built in 1958. I'm sure they had it figured out.

Yes, but they figured it out in 1958, running SAE 30 motor oil, the technology of the time. Old stuff often says 1/2 pint per gallon, or 16-1. And smoke, and plug fouling, and muffler fouling.
Use a modern oil, 32-40:1 you will be fine. I run sythetics at 50:1.
Older cast iron liners with cross hatching do need a certain amount of carbon built up in the liner to prevent wear, but 32:1 is plenty of oil.

A big contractor I worked for in the mid 80’s supplied the gas and oil, I lived close by and drove one of the crew buses and refilled everything. He used chevron 2 cycle and buy it by the 50 gallon barrel. Ran it about 40-1 best guess as the measuring cup was plastic and hard to be exact. It was nicknamed black death as it would leave a nasty carbon build up on the piston tops.

Some oils are thicker, and are much harder to get a complete burn. These oils should be run at 50:1, especially in these new auto tune and mtronic saws.
Other oils like Lucas are really thin, I’ve seen it run at 16:1 in a saw with good results. There is no one perfect oil or ratio for every use.

Interesting, would that mix/ratio work in a day to day saw? I’ve got a bone stock 880 I use for my sawmill that would make sense to run a really good quality mix oil. Really need to change to an after market air cleaner on that thing. Wouldn’t hurt to have some light hot rod work done on it either.

Interesting, would that mix/ratio work in a day to day saw? I’ve got a bone stock 880 I use for my sawmill that would make sense to run a really good quality mix oil. Really need to change to an after market air cleaner on that thing. Wouldn’t hurt to have some light hot rod work done on it either.
I run that same mix in all my saws, weed eater, blowers.

For a saw on a sawmill I would run at least 32:1. Probably 24:1

Same brand of oil, same gas, same saw - why does 30:1 cause modern saws to run hotter than 40:1? I thought the more oil the easier for the chainsaw. So I was surprised that the opposite is true - you could be straining/overheating your saw by having too much oil in the gas.

Same brand of oil, same gas, same saw - why does 30:1 cause modern saws to run hotter than 40:1? I thought the more oil the easier for the chainsaw. So I was surprised that the opposite is true - you could be straining/overheating your saw by having too much oil in the gas.

In general 2 strokes run rich on the air to fuel mixture. Meaning some unburnt fuel always exits the exhaust, this is done because the extra fuel cools the cylinder. If a 2 stroke was run at a perfect ratio (stoichiometric point) the combustion temperatures would be so hot it would melt the aluminum piston.

By adding extra oil you are effectively decreasing the amount of fuel mixed with the air, because the fuel is displacing some of the oil, increasing the combustion temps. Also the extra oil slightly adds to the viscosity of the fuel, also slightly lessening the amount metered through the carburetor.

Long story short, it causes the engine to run leaner, and leaner means hotter.

Thanks. This guy verifies what you say. 40:1 from now on.

Isn't this guys Donyboy73's helper?

My little 16" poulan is 16:1. Probably 30-35 years old.