1980 generation III VC resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphpowell

Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2007
upstate NY
I have a resolute and it has double doors...which should make it generation III but the inside back reads 1979 and manufacturer test date on the back reads Sept. 1980. The doors are not glass but I see that the upper section has metal inserts with 2 screws each. Are the glass inserts available? Can I get full glass doors for better viewing. There is no grate, just a contured bottom and a raised front edge that can be removed for easier ash removal. Should there be a grate to raise the fire? For thorough cleaning is there anything better than steel brushing? Can I pressure wash this baby. Do you have specs like efficiency, burn time, BTU output?

Casting and test dates are not the same as manufactured date. That is why the discrepancy, but the stove is possibly from the early 80's. You might be able to get glass for the doors, but they won't stay very clean without airwash.

Don't pressure wash the stove, wirebrush it. If the stove is still sealed well then it can burn for about 4-6 hrs. However, if it's plugged and leaking at the gaskets and cracks, it may only go for 2 hrs and be hard to control. Here's a wiki link about buying old stoves. Some of the info applies to checking the condition of your stove. Hope it helps.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Used_Stove_buying_Primer/

ralphpowell said:
I have a resolute and it has double doors...which should make it generation III but the inside back reads 1979 and manufacturer test date on the back reads Sept. 1980. The doors are not glass but I see that the upper section has metal inserts with 2 screws each. Are the glass inserts available? Can I get full glass doors for better viewing. There is no grate, just a contured bottom and a raised front edge that can be removed for easier ash removal. Should there be a grate to raise the fire? For thorough cleaning is there anything better than steel brushing? Can I pressure wash this baby. Do you have specs like efficiency, burn time, BTU output?

Glass was available for that model but the results were not good. The glass panels go black very quickly. I wouldn't waste the money.

The stove does not use a grate or an ash pan. Make sure the bottom of the stove (ribbed) is protected with a layer of ash, or kitty litter or sand, and burn your fire directly on the bottom of the stove. Do not add a grate.

A wire attachment to a power drill or grinder can be useful. Do not use water.

The specs are available in the Owners Manual whcih can be downloaded from Vermontcastings.com. The manual you are looking for has their four stoves in one (Defiant, Vigilant, Resolute, and Intrepid).

Status
Not open for further replies.