1989 Pacific Superseries Stove - Insert. Looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vcv

Jan 20, 2022
Arkansas
Hi everyone. This stove was in the house when we bought it, this is the first burn since we moved into the house. Stove is burning fine, very efficient so far, burning seasoned oak.
There are a couple of things I'm hoping someone can help me out with, or that seem strange on this stove. 1) There is no fan switch or auto switch that I can find. Plug up power cord and fan works (hot or cold), again no switch of any kind. 2) The fan is VERY weak. It is working, it is loud, but not pushing much air at all. There is only one fan installed on the unit, on the left hand side. I can see a hole on the right hand side where is appears another fan was/or can be installed. The one fan there looks to be a basic little fan, nothing big, nothing like a cage fan or anything.

I am wondering about upgrade options.. New fan(s), fan switch, etc. I am capable of installing, if I could find the correct parts.

Also, there is a sliding damper on the left side of the ask tray. I know this is my air control, but it does not have any indication written on it regarding 'Open/Close'. From fire performance so far, I think sliding it to the left opens air and to the right closes it up.

I've included a few pics. One showing either the serial number or model number.

Thanks!
IMG_1914.jpgIMG_1913.jpgIMG_1912.jpgIMG_1916.jpg

The first thing is to oil the blower motor. Bearings on shaft should be lubricated after sitting. I do mine yearly. Couple drops of engine oil on shaft where it goes into motor. Some have oil ports, like tubes that go to the bearing.

It takes a good size blower with a cage wheel or double on each side of motor, over 200 cfm. Variable speed is a must. You can get fan control that plugs into recep. that the blower simply plugs into. Woodman’s Parts Plus has a good selection.

Last edited:
The first thing is to oil the blower motor. Bearings on shaft should be lubricated after sitting. I do mine yearly. Couple drops of engine oil on shaft where it goes into motor. Some have oil ports, like tubes that go to the bearing.

It takes a good size blower with a cage wheel or double on each side of motor, over 200 cfm. Variable speed is a must. You can get fan control that plugs into recep. that the blower simply plugs into. Woodman’s Parts Plus has a good selection.
Thanks. I'll look into Woodman's. We are deciding if we are going to keep the stove or go pellet (had pellet at prior house). If I keep the stove I'll have to upgrade the fan system for sure, not putting out near enough air volume. I am surprised with how well this stove burns wood. Very efficient, slow hot burns on very little wood (compared to others I have used). Years ago I had an old wood stove and I had to feed it constantly.

Do try to oil the motor/motors but if their seized Pacific Energy should have replacement parts. Keep it or not but remember, if you run out, you can't go to the woods and cut another bag of pellets.

Do try to oil the motor/motors but if their seized Pacific Energy should have replacement parts. Keep it or not but remember, if you run out, you can't go to the woods and cut another bag of pellets.
True that. The more I burn this stove, the more I like it. I have never had a stove before burn this efficient. I can run it all day on about 10 pieces of wood. And it holds a coal bed overnight and enough to start up again in the morning.

That is either a well kept insert or one that has seen very little use. In addition to oiling the motor, make sure that the fan is not slipping. There should be a set screw or two that tighten onto the motor shaft.

Can you post some shots of the interior of the insert, including a picture of the baffle?