1st Cleaning Chimney with Fireplace Insert (Enviro 1700)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2018
Hi Folks - I need to schedule the first chimney cleaning after installing an Enviro 1700 insert. I plan to have a local service do this, chimney is really tall and I don't have the equipment, ladder, experience, etc.

I need help to understand exactly what the process involves. Do they need to pull the stove out to completely clean it? Or can this be done with the unit in place? The interior is baffled so I don't know how they will collect the soot? Etc.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Folks - I need to schedule the first chimney cleaning after installing an Enviro 1700 insert. I plan to have a local service do this, chimney is really tall and I don't have the equipment, ladder, experience, etc.

I need help to understand exactly what the process involves. Do they need to pull the stove out to completely clean it? Or can this be done with the unit in place? The interior is baffled so I don't know how they will collect the soot? Etc.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks
They will probably pull the baffle out and clean up through the stove. They absolutely will not pull the stove

So there is no need to go on the roof?
Generally no. But if it was me for a new customer I would go up to inspect everything. I would also either pull the surround or move the stove enough to check the connection, check for a blockoff plate etc

Generally no. But if it was me for a new customer I would go up to inspect everything. I would also either pull the surround or move the stove enough to check the connection, check for a blockoff plate etc

Come on over Bholler!

Second Question - I plan to have a damper block off plate installed - any idea on a cost estimate?

Come on over Bholler!

Second Question - I plan to have a damper block off plate installed - any idea on a cost estimate?
I would say $300 to $400 to put one in after install