Chimney cleaning

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

illini81

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Apr 7, 2017
381
Southeastern CT
I will be helping a friend clean his chimney this Fall. I have a wood stove insert, and have cleaned my chimney from the bottom with a drill powered rotary chimney cleaning system.

My chimney goes straight up from the top of the insert, so the fiberglass rods do not need to bend much. I’ve attached pictures of my friend’s stove and chimney.

I am assuming the process would be to detach the black pipe and clean that separately from the chimney.

When I clean the chimney, it looks like the rods will have to make a 90 degree turn. Will that be a problem? Is a different tool needed for this chimney set up?

Thank you!
 
What chimney rods do you have? Some will do a 90,, some won’t..
 
Here is the chimney
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Chimney cleaning
    IMG_20261007_081530.webp
    191.9 KB · Views: 24
Ok, I have rods that wouldn’t do a 90 either, they are a stiffer fiberglass. I also have the white sooteater rods that would without issue.

Now a double 90 I will let someone else remark on, I only have to go through a single.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
I have the black and white soot eater rods. The white rods are definitely more flexible than the black but I have no problem making it through a 90 with either.
 
I have a similar setup.
A 90 in stove pipe and a 90 into outside lined masonry.
I take the stove pipe off and have the rods start horizontal into the thimble.
White soot eater.
Takes a bit of finagling to get them to bend up 90 deg.
Moreover you want to vacuum out any soot that you sweep in the masonry. Without a clean out you'll have to take off the stove pipe anyway to vacuum thru the thimble.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
What does the thimble connect to, a metal 6" liner or clay flue tile? If your sooteater is clipped to fit a 6" pipe and there is say a 8x12 clay lined chimney, then the cleaning will not be thorough.