1st Fire of Fall Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
I decided to light up the open fire place tonight while the wife and I watched some football together. I know open fireplace = bad btu use, but it heat up the room we were in and the rest of the house is just fine. It is about 45 degrees out and the first frost of fall is expected tonight. Not quite cold enough for the stove, but I just had the get the itch and she as happy lol.

image.jpe

Last edited:
Looks cozy, but I just heard the AC kick on, so hopefully, 'first fire' (and first frost!) is still a little while away.

I know how "wife+bad btu" works, though. My wife wants to go camping and says "...we have all that wood, we should take a load for the camp fire."

Well, yes, except that camp fire doesn't heat the house during the winter! Pretty hard for me to see all those btu's just wafting away up into the sky!

Looks cozy, but I just heard the AC kick on, so hopefully, 'first fire' (and first frost!) is still a little while away.

I know how "wife+bad btu" works, though. My wife wants to go camping and says "...we have all that wood, we should take a load for the camp fire."

Well, yes, except that camp fire doesn't heat the house during the winter! Pretty hard for me to see all those btu's just wafting away up into the sky!

Yeah I have a back yard fire pit and have to educate each person who attends which piles are for burning in the pit and what is off limits.

My wife wants to go camping and says "...we have all that wood, we should take a load for the camp fire."

Well, yes, except that camp fire doesn't heat the house during the winter!
Lol, reminds me of a friend who was dating a girl that booked up every weekend with different events during the summer. I finally said, man when are you going to split your firewood, I hope hugs and kisses keep that house warm all winter.

That looks like a Rumford fireplace. Though still inefficient they throw heat better than the typical fireplace. In my current home I don’t have a stove because I don’t want to mess with my colonial style wood mantle. I’ll be using my fireplace come October. I use a steel plate fire back, I love open fireplaces regardless of their inefficiency. I can get the living room cozy during the winter but it requires a lot of wood. I shut the furnace off while I’m burning. I lived for years with a Jodul (parents house) in one room and a fireplace in another, again too nice of a wood mantle to mess with in that place too.

Lol, reminds me of a friend who was dating a girl that booked up every weekend with different events during the summer. I finally said, man when are you going to split your firewood, I hope hugs and kisses keep that house warm all winter.

Thinking it's not the "hugs and kisses" that will keep that house warm all winter . . . ;)

Not even cold enough to start the stove, I was waiting for a day cool enough to burn. LOL

Just started yesterday with two kindle fires to cure the paint and cement during summer teardown.
This weather currently isn't heating weather as the 70 degree days heat the house well for overnight.

47 tonight's low and we're going to burn with the windows cracked open. The combination breezes
drafting around the house is really nice during the shoulder.

Shoot if all it took was lack of firewood to have the wife help me stay warm. I think I may give up my wood cutting hobby for another! lol
You can have the best of both. Just dial it down a little cool now and then and blame it on some unseasoned wood. Lol!

A happy wife normally means a happy husband :)

Reactions: D8Chumley
I decided to light up the open fire place tonight while the wife and I watched some football together. I know open fireplace = bad btu use, but it heat up the room we were in and the rest of the house is just fine. It is about 45 degrees out and the first frost of fall is expected tonight. Not quite cold enough for the stove, but I just had the get the itch and she as happy lol.

View attachment 184486

Consider me jealous. We basically close up the insert/fireplace area outside of the season--clean, remove fan, remove tools & ash bucket to the basement. So now we're starting to pull stuff out. Can't wait to be able to post my first picture, and feel that first fire. We're in Mass, so it'll be soon enough!

Enjoy

Hey Jay.......I'm probably a little less than a month away from real burning, but wondered if you are going to resurrect the super popular "what's in your.........?" thread from last season? Sure was a fun one.

Reactions: Jay106n
Hemlock. First fire of the season.

Hey Jay.......I'm probably a little less than a month away from real burning, but wondered if you are going to resurrect the super popular "what's in your.........?" thread from last season? Sure was a fun one.

Absolutely! It's a bit too soon, not too many people burning yet, but once season comes around for sure.

Just our first fire as well. Small top down. I lit it around noon. Went to work and just got back. I don't know how long it burnt but it's 73 in here now and 69 when i lit it. So 4 pieces of wood kept the wife warm all day.

54 deg and raining this am, suppose to be dreary until Monday, temps are suppose to be in the low 60's during the day and low 50's at night, I'm thinking tomorrow night I'll make a small fire to take the dampness out of the house. I'm actually kind of excited for the 1st burn, I'm gonna have to pick up some pumpkin spice beer for tomorrow night.

Reactions: Junebug90
Inside house temp dipped to 60 as it has been rainy and windy for the last 2 days and it is my birthday so i lit up the old Moe! I got it fired up and my wife comes down stairs and says "Finally, the house will be warm again!" lol I couldn't be happier. I got her hook, line,and sinker. We actually did dual, fires, one in the stove in the basement, and one in the open fireplace upstairs. Lets just say the house is super toasty tonight.

image_3.jpe

I got up on the roof yesterday and ran the brush down the stack, gave the stove a thorough cleaning, brought some nice dry pine in so I'm ready to go. Got the rack up on the deck and partially filled it with some uglies. Might fire it up today with the rain and damp/rainy last few days we had here. I'm getting excited :)

The wife turned on the furnace to just get the chill out of the house, but I want to try the pacific energy summit break it in with a couple small fires. In the process of redoing the tile hearth in the basement hope to have done in the next week or so. I really want to try out the sequoia, hate having the furnace on with years of seasoned firewood staring at you. But keeping a seven month pregnant wife happy can be interesting. It's supposed to be back in the low to mid seventies this coming week so I'm not to concerned yet, but the cooler weather is coming.

Taking a week to close the cottage in Central Ontario. Have a small older "airtight" up here. It's only about 900 sq ft. Fired it up last night to take the chill off, sitting in front of it this morning as I look at the lake.

Had one the other night. Today it was 80 again. 20161006_194952.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.