1ST fire on new furnace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Well i finally finished the install on my Yukon BJ90 this morning and just in time. 29 degrees this morning with a nice heavy frost. I started around 12:00 and bringing the temps up nice and slow and is around 380 degrees around door with flue temps at 300. Had to finish enclosure around tee support this morning before i fired it up. Its 78 in the house now with a small fire and all doors open to let the smell out. im getting a small amount of smoke out of chimney right now but i believe its from the smaller fire and once i open it up and the draft inducer is running it cleans right up. I am waiting on my manometer to come in so that the BDR can be set so right now im staying with the small fires. Really feels good to start that first fire but also made me a little nervous for a while in case i forgot something. I set in front of it for the first hour with cell phone in one hand and the thermometer in the other.

Attachments

• 2011-10-22_16-05-34_996.jpg
    2011-10-22_16-05-34_996.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 2011-10-22_16-05-57_753.jpg
    2011-10-22_16-05-57_753.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 2011-10-22_16-07-24_163.jpg
    2011-10-22_16-07-24_163.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 247
It's a good feeling to have the warmth when it's chilly outside. Sticking to small hot fires will help reduce creosote during the shoulder season. More than likely you won't see the draft inducer running much because there will be very little heating demand on the furnace. We have a different woodfurnace, but you'll learn as you go. It's nice to see postings from different furnace users. Have you measured your register temps?

They ranging from 103 close to furnace and about 92 at the farthest. Only been putting in 2 small splits at a time because its getting to hot in here now. It got up to around 65 here today so its not taking much to warm it up. Any idea what temps i should be seeing at the registers?

No, not sure about the temps. Every setup is different.

Thanks.
I did notice a little shine to the inside of the flue and a little on the BDR tonight. I think i need to burn a little hotter but keep the fires small because the wood is good and dry but it was
smoldering a lot today. This is a whole new setup for me with the last furnace being 30 yrs old and it burned hot no matter what you did.

Congrats on the new furnace man! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.