1st year, what have you learned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive have learned that hard work will pay for it self in the long run. Bucking and splitting wood to pay for my kidds education instead of oil what a wounderful thing. I have also learned that theirs other people out there that care and there out there to help use newbies when needed. Thanks Craig for this great form.
I have also leaned that when my glass getts dirty on the insert its time to burn hotter to wash it off no more razer blades for me. And besides who really cares if its dirty ore not its a means of heat not a center peacie at diseny world besides when we burned in are fire places they were dirty all the time with stains so why not the glass with a little dirt on it. MAN UP and burn hotter or get off the pot (dirty glass can also mean your burning poorly seasoned wood)Ive also learned that loading up the insert when its hotter then three hundered is really not a good thing man that box will get hot in a hurry with no control of the fire.
I have allso read on hear that burning one log at a time to maintain temps on your stove is the way to go not load it up all the time.If you load it up all the time you will go through more wood that way I only laod it up at night and before work in the morning.
And never type in large caps it piss is people off.

Johnny B. said:
I've learned that it's OK to go to bed while the fires of Hell are burning in a metal box in my livingroom. Eventually, I might even be able to sleep.

:gulp:

That's funny! I slept in my family room for the first 2 weeks.........every noise id jump! I once woke to a violent hissing noise, I thought she blew a gasket..................Directv was out! LMAO!

Been burning for more than 30 years-but first year with a epa insert. Still experimenting and learning, but it is a lot of fun!!

olskool53 said:
Johnny B. said:
I've learned that it's OK to go to bed while the fires of Hell are burning in a metal box in my livingroom. Eventually, I might even be able to sleep.
:gulp:

That's funny! I slept in my family room for the first 2 weeks.........every noise id jump! I once woke to a violent hissing noise, I thought she blew a gasket..................Directv was out! LMAO!

:lol: :lol:

I have learned that next time I buy a stove (if I ever have to) to try to get a small stove with the biggest fire box they make for longer overnight burns. I believe mine is 2 cubic feet. I think they make 2.3ish cubic feet in small stoves.

I think this is a case when size does matter, every little bit helps, right guys?

EddyKilowatt said:
I haven't learned how to stay awake in The Comfy Chair by the stove after 9 PM. :)

Posted at precisely 9:00. lol
G'night Eddy.

gyrfalcon said:
woodconvert said:
author="SlyFerret" date="1224702430"]I've learned...

...There will always be a dog in my way, laying on the the floor in front of the stove when it is time to reload.

I used to have one of those dogs. I've got a new yellow lab pup and he wants NOTHING to do with anything over 60F. Hell, he'll be outside walking in only shady areas (not ghetto type shady). He just doesn't like the heat. Gunna be a rough winter for him me thinks.

Ghetto type shady?

A fella where I work calls less than desirable areas "shady"...not that you would know that but I didn't want to imply where my dog walks around my house is less than desirable.

Things I have learned so far:

If you think you have enough wood, you probably don't.

If you think its seasoned enough, it probably isn't.

Don't fiddle with the fire when starting it, just let it burn.

Coals stay hot in an ash bucket for a few days.

There is NOTHING wrong with burning softwood, so long as its seasoned and you understand that it will not burn as long as hardwood.

RESPECT THE FIRE. It's the fastest way to a new house (paid for by your insurance company).

FELLING/BUCKING/SPLITTING/STACKING:

No matter how you say it, or how many times you say it, kids will NOT stack wood as neat as you.

A QUALITY chainsaw and sharp chain is worth its weight in gold.

So isn't a properly maintained hydrolic splitter.

RESPECT for the chainsaw and a falling tree is more important than your "macho" image.

Chaps, helmet and safety glasses look better and are more comfortable than a wheelchair or casket.

The following have no place in the woods while felling trees: Kids, booze, sandals, shorts, loud music and people who don't respect mother nature.

No, you can't get one more tree out of that dull chain.

Yes, you do need BAR AND CHAIN OIL, not motor oil/transmission fluid/brake fluid or whatever else you have hanging around.

No, you may not borrow my chainsaw/splitter/trailer/truck, but I would be happy to come help you so long as you help me when I need it.

Thats about all I can think of right now...

I find myself admiring my wood pile all summer and looking forward to the harsh cold winter.

I'm working with larger splits and this last one lasted me thru the nite with hot embers in the morning. Was a cozy 14* night. The cat enjoyed it, too................

So far I have learned, at 4am, I am not that good at starting a fire....LOL....

I have learned how amazing a secondary burn looks.

I have learned my wife has little tolerance for temps over 76 degrees!

I have learned NOT to get freaked out by fire..fire is good...research is good....OPEC is bad.

Oh yes..... ashes. Ashes can stay hot for days. Especially if there are some small wood chunks in there. Always make sure you are not dumping them on some loose leaves outside as they can start to smolder which will cause your spouse to mock you relentlessly. For years.

Saw a similar question on the Wood Forum:

I have learned that if you try to split kindling at 4:00am in the morning, during an ice storm, with a mag light in your mouth so you can see, cause the power went out and you are trying to keep your family warm, you may just cut the tip of your finger off when using a splitting maul....ouch.

Also, wife was not thrilled about looking for the cut off piece while I am at the ER.

Lesson learned...preperation is the key....always have your wood/kindling handy and ready to go.

ilikewood said:
Saw a similar question on the Wood Forum:

I have learned that if you try to split kindling at 4:00am in the morning, during an ice storm, with a mag light in your mouth so you can see, cause the power went out and you are trying to keep your family warm, you may just cut the tip of your finger off when using a splitting maul....ouch.

Also, wife was not thrilled about looking for the cut off piece while I am at the ER.

Lesson learned...preperation is the key....always have your wood/kindling handy and ready to go.
Dude! OUCH!

Yup, a big ouch.

Funny thing (well, not so funny then)...when I was at the ER, the Dr. told me I would go have to see the "haaaannnddd man" I think the Dr was from Jamaica or something//real nice guy/great doc....Anyway, went to the plastic surgeon, he took a look and said it will grow back....I'm like "what? what do you mean it will just grow back? Im not a starfish, right? Anyway, within 2 weeks the tissue started to form over the missing chunk, and now it is fully healed. Its a tad bit shorter/smaller than my other hand, but the Dr was right....the human body can do amazing things....even the fingerprints grew back that were completely lost.

I have a friend who shot his finger tip off with a .22 pistol. It grew back with everything, it just is shaped like a light bulb now. weird!

I give CowboyAndy an "A". It would have been an "A-plus", if not for the fact that he said I could never borrow anything from him. %-P Rick

I learned that if your coal bed is too thick in the morning, rake it up, put a small split on it (the flat slab-like ones work best), open the air and go have a coffee before reloading. The small split seems to burn the coals down to very fine ash much faster than just opening the air on the coals alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.