2 cycle oil (or lack of it) OH NO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hi all-- looking for insights and experience on that thing that you hope never happens with a 2 cycle engine-

I didn't have any 2 cycle gas/oil mix on hand, and a person who I trust to the utmost as organized, methodical, etc., pointed me to a certain can and assured that it was pre-mixed.

I then filled and used my saw (Stihl 029), always well maintained, not a huge # of hours on it) to cut up 3 hardwood pallets; the saw seemed to be working harder than I'd have expected, and using gas faster than expected (used one saw tank to cut the 3 44 x 60 pallets).

Upon going to refill, my heart sank when I realized that the 2 cycle mix was in a different container than what I'd used/ been told to use.

I re-fueled the saw with the proper mix, plus some extra oil in the mix for good measure; the saw now seems to run fine.

I generally aspire to "not fix what ain' broke" but if the tankful of non-lubed gas did some damage that is going to catch up with me, and if the long run reliability/ cost is going to be more favorable by "biting the bullet" now, then I want to know that, and want to seek input on what should be checked (rings, cylinder bore, bearings?) or what measures should be taken before the full extent of the damage comes home to roost.

What do people suggest?

Thanks

Sorry to hear, but it really sounds like you have not done major damage; ie, the engine did not seize. Surely you scored some bearings and cylinder walls a bit, etc, but I won't worry a lot about it, since it now runs. Listen to it carefully, and if you hear knocking or it runs "stiff", take it apart. I had an outboard seize on me many years ago, because I had it on a lift and had it out of water too long. I thought I was going to have to walk the canoe upstream several miles, but after 45 minutes I pulled the rope and off she went. I ran that motor for 10 more years, sold it, and it was still running several years after that. I hope you get lucky w/ your saw. I almost started mine after refueling last year, only to see that I had not put the chain oil cap back on, and after walking 100' the tank was empty. Close call. We've all been there.

The other thing to consider is whether or not the tank was completely empty both times--I usually fill my tank at the beginning of each run, when there's still some gas in it, which means there'd be some oil at least. SO: did you run a WHOLE tank of unmixed? If so, pay attention to how the saw runs going forward and decide then. If you realize there was some gas in it already (mixed), then you're probably fine.

S

You're not alone. I have a 1967 Mercury 3 Cyl. Outboard that's still going after an episode that was worse about 4 years ago. It's still going.

ATB<
Mike

Only way to know for sure is to pull the muffler off and then you will see how much damage is there and post a pic!

I had a brand new 1985 toyota pu 2nd oil change the dealer forgot to fill it and I drove it home about 2 miles and noticed it started making some noise . When I pulled the dip stick and did not see a bit of oil on it I was pissed to say the least. The engine has never been apart and until about a year or two ago my wifes cousin was still driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.