2 stoves worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Was curious what some more knowledgable people here think. I currently have a nice wood burning insert in a first floor a-frame home. I would like to eliminate propane usage all together but the boss enjoys a higher temp. Now our basement is already piped ready for another stove. The basement is partially finished drywall and tile floor. I am wondering if the extra stove in the basement would supplement the upstairs burner? We do not spend much time in the basement but will once furnished. Thanks!

Was curious what some more knowledgable people here think. I currently have a nice wood burning insert in a first floor a-frame home. I would like to eliminate propane usage all together but the boss enjoys a higher temp. Now our basement is already piped ready for another stove. The basement is partially finished drywall and tile floor. I am wondering if the extra stove in the basement would supplement the upstairs burner? We do not spend much time in the basement but will once furnished. Thanks!
Welcome.

Is the basement below grade? The conventional wisdom seems to be that concrete below grade will sink too much heat out. If you can insulate the walls, that would be best. If you are going to spend a lot of time in that space, you may as well have a nice stove down there and it will help upstairs if you need the supplemental heat source there.

Reason I would like to is its already piped and I feel like I'm getting a deal. A guy is selling a brand new never used pleasant hearth wood stove. Cost him 700$ I'm getting it for 300$ . Now with the room it's in being 3/4 finished and drywall with one small opening and a wide open stair case, no side wall on one side. I thought hey maybe both of my stoves going would equal almost zero propane use! Also once a tv is put in the basement it will basically be my cave and also a gun room! Just wondering if the cost right now and considering it isn't used right now would the stove really add to what my upstairs stove is kicking out for us. Thanks for quick reply!

More BTU's = more heat = higher interior temps. 2 stoves should put out quite a bit of heat. the "boss" might be running around naked with 2 stoves burning.

I can't speak for that stove, but here's a link to a recent discussion. You may want to do some other searches.

From what you've said, I'd go ahead and do it. Sounds nice.

Not a bad thing lol! Sadly the a-frame design likes to take heat upward, ceiling fan does help a bit. My other thought was not spending money on stove downstairs now. But eventually upgrading our country comfort and moving it downstairs then I would have 2 large stoves putting out much more btus

I don't see a link posted ? Hopefully not negative on the stove manufacturer?

Sorry. Now I lost that link, but a search on the forum or on Google will bring up some discussions. Sounds like a decent stove, though. What size is it?

Fire box is 22" wide 13" deep. I currently have an older us stove I re did but it is smaller at 18" wide and 12" deep. Was going to use it but I'm not sure it's all the tight doesn't seem very well made? Is it normal for a stove to have small circular vent holes on the back side of the firebox? It would seem like smoke would escape from them. If not I may try useing it instead

Fire box is 22" wide 13" deep. I currently have an older us stove I re did but it is smaller at 18" wide and 12" deep. Was going to use it but I'm not sure it's all the tight doesn't seem very well made? Is it normal for a stove to have small circular vent holes on the back side of the firebox? It would seem like smoke would escape from them. If not I may try useing it instead
Sounds like a pretty small stove, maybe 1.5 cf or so. I couldn't find much info on that size pleasant hearth. The size may be fine for that space, though.

The holes, I don't know. It makes me wonder if the secondary tubes are missing. Do you see any tubes at the top of the firebox? Also, what is the pleasant hearth model number?

If the pleasant hearth doesn't work out, what model is US stove and what is it's age?

Thank you for your effort in helping!
Pleasant Hearth- model LWS-127201-BCA. It has ash pan & blower still in box. 6 in flue. Firebox - 13 in depth, 22 in width

The u.s. Stove was made in 98 I can look at the plate and take pics when I get home. Was the link u were referring to in regards of the pleasant heart co.?

Thank you for your effort in helping!
Pleasant Hearth- model LWS-127201-BCA. It has ash pan & blower still in box. 6 in flue. Firebox - 13 in depth, 22 in width

The u.s. Stove was made in 98 I can look at the plate and take pics when I get home. Was the link u were referring to in regards of the pleasant heart co.?
That model looks like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasant...ower-Medium-LWS-127201/203883466#.UlH-xxC1szA but the firebox size is different. However, they only spec two dimensions. Most wood stoves are spec'd in terms of cubic feet. Can you measure the whole firebox?

In any case, you better figure out that thing about the holes first...

image.jpg image.jpg Agree only measurements I have are what he forwarded. But I'll post pics tonight of that back plate
Here's before and afters

I love my stove downstairs, in fact im sitting in front of it right now. For me its a fully finished basement with bedrooms, bathroom, rec room and office. When it gets to hot we go upstairs. The oak hardwood upstairs gets nice and warm in the winter so that we don't have to wear socks or slippers. If its unfinished with concrete that can be a concern for sure because it will be a heat sink. From what you described I think you had a mostly finished basement but not entirely. I think if your basement is finished completely you will spend lots of time down there. FYI you cant go wrong with that price. Enjoy!

Two rooms are completely finished with a small walk out like an old western saloon which leads to the storage room and laundry/utility room. I think it would work great being 3/4 of the way finished . We are also doing all wood flooring on main floor so I can see that benefit!

Reactions: Seanm
Two rooms are completely finished with a small walk out like an old western saloon which leads to the storage room and laundry/utility room. I think it would work great being 3/4 of the way finished . We are also doing all wood flooring on main floor so I can see that benefit!
I think the key here is that you intend to use it once you have some heat down there. If so it will be a great addition to your home and the boss will appreciate having a warm laundry room! Just watch the shoulder season start ups with the dryer going. There are lots of people on here who don't agree with wood stoves downstairs but that's because stoves are a space heater more than anything and they say you should have your stove where you will be and for most people that's on the main floor. I have an open stairwell as well and get enough heat upstairs on most days to keep us content.

There are lots of people on here who don't agree with wood stoves downstairs but that's because stoves are a space heater more than anything and they say you should have your stove where you will be and for most people that's on the main floor
Agreed. Usually not a good place to have your one and only stove, but in this case it will be nice especially if the main one isn't enough.

Reactions: Seanm
Valid points! Start ups and dryer going?? What is the issue there? The big ol country comfort upstairs is great it keeps temps around 73/74 but as stated earlier the down stairs once I start useing it will be nice. I'm going tomm to grab a 90 degree section to see how it will fit. I need one for a barrel stove in the garage anyway. Can't believe I will have 4 wood burners between house and garage.... Lol maybe should invest in outdoor setup??

Start ups and dryer going?? What is the issue there?
It will inhibit proper draft. During winter I don't even worry about it. Ok I lie! I go over and turn off the dryer and then get in trouble for not remembering to turn it back on ;-)

If you can supply outside combustion air to the stove, that kind of thing isn't a problem. But an OAK may be impractical in a basement. In some very tight houses, even bathroom fans can cause draft issues.

If you can supply outside combustion air to the stove, that kind of thing isn't a problem. But an OAK may be impractical in a basement. In some very tight houses, even bathroom fans can cause draft issues.
I was also going to mention the bathroom fans :)
I have an oac right by my stove and a small window 8 feet away and still have the issue. Its better this year maybe because Ive refined my techniques (top down fires every time) but Ive had two issues of back puffing in the last two weeks of evening burning. Its 8c and mild tonight with no problem at all for some reason. We live in a very defined valley at 3800 ft so this might contribute to low pressure at times.

We used to have gas and electric heat at two different placed we lived. Cost so much the "boss" had 3 layers on during winter. No fun there. Now with the wood stove the Boss runs around in a bikini some winter months...

I have a 2nd stove in the finished family room, (downstairs basement) and on really cold days it;s nice to have as we do spend some time down there. it also augments the upstairs heat, as I'll leave the basement door open a couple inches and the warm air naturally rises.

Conversely, on somewhat warmer days in the shoulder seasons, I'll run the downstairs stove alone and not get the main floors uncomfortable too warm.

image.jpg image.jpg
I have a 2nd stove in the finished family room, (downstairs basement) and on really cold days it;s nice to have as we do spend some time down there. it also augments the upstairs heat, as I'll leave the basement door open a couple inches and the warm air naturally rises.

Conversely, on somewhat warmer days in the shoulder seasons, I'll run the downstairs stove alone and not get the main floors uncomfortable too warm.
Another practical perspective. Glad I finally joined this forum! Going back to my tile debate . With not having my flue work extended all the way down( earlier pics show) only meeting the bottom of the circlular tile. If I can manage to get a 90 elbow in there do you think that is a safe way to pipe this burner in my basement ? New pics added 2nd pic although some reason it rotated? The wall to the right side which from my perspective is closest to me and my actual basement foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.