20% Moisture Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the "ignore" feature on this forum facepalm.gif

Slow down gang it's new years lets all get along. Differing opinions and input is why we all enjoy this forum. I will say that if my MM was not free I would not use one. I like the quote here that says to measure the quality of your fire wood using a multi year calendar(or something like that)

My real life personal experience has shown me that after 12-18 months CSS my mostly ash with some cherry, maple and other mixed in firewood burned well, heated my home and left little in the stack. Now, the same wood after another 12 months burns awesome, heats better and I do not plan on even looking at the stack until spring. This was a change in MC from 18-22 to 14-16. Less is best. A cheapo MM(like what I have) is just a suggestion and not a rule - providing a point of reference. There are to many variables to consider them an exact science.

Read your posts and think if they are written in a way that you would like to hear directed towards yourself - a safe way to stay in good graces with all. Happy New Year!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have gotten into some wood thats not burning very good. I split a piece and tested it, its 20%. My moisture meter has a chart and 20% moisture is considered high on that chart. I guess 20% will burn but isnt ideal
Lets review what he posted folks, his MM says it is 20% and he has a chart (for THAT MM) that says its high AND its not burning well, hmmmmmmmmmm sounds like its right on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.