2006 quadrafire 4300 find $400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cableguy

Nov 2, 2013
michigan
Ive searched and read a lot about peoples experiences with these stoves. some love them some hate them. Use dry wood, anything else?
I have a wood stove in my pole barn where i can test it out before installing into my house. House is a bi-level about 1200' per level. Id like to put the chimney on the north side, tallest part of the roof at the peak. we get a wind off the west across a corn field.

Examine it carefully for signs of overfiring and abuse. IIRC some of the early Quads had burnout happening around the secondary manifold.
Personally I would pay for a new stove if it was going in my house. With dry wood, modern stoves are very nice heaters. A good big stove can be had for under $1500. The flue system may cost more than that.

I got a nice used Quad 4300, installed it and it runs with no issues. Like @begreen said, check it carefully for signs of overfiring, make sure the baffle board and blanket are in good shape. Might want to verify the start-up air closes off like it's supposed to, but I hardly ever use mine and just leave it shut. Mine had a couple broken fire bricks, nothing missing though. I'm not sure when Quadrafire introduced the "Automatic Combustion Control" (ACC) thing - it's basically a mechanical timer that cuts the air down after a while. If the stove has that, double check it works before trusting it.

The stove likes to run HOT. Not a runaway or bad gasket kind of situation, just lots of heat for the size of the stove. Like any modern tube stove, it likes dry wood better than wet, but it seems much less picky than my Northstar. The firebox is only 19" deep, so plan accordingly with the length of your splits.

Reactions: begreen
I picked up a Quadra Fire Isle Royale for $500 , like your 4300, lightly used no broken brick . Just an awesome heater. Like any awesome stove, dry wood is a must.