2010 Quadrafire 1200i - Feed auger rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chillyfingers

Dec 28, 2020
california
Hi guys,

I am hoping you can help me narrow down my issue with my 2010 Quadrafire 1200i. A service technician isn't available until February where I live. I couldn't find the issue through searching, I am running out of options and looking for some new ideas.

Problem:
Feed auger rate doesn't seem to adjust using the 3-speed controller, and is inadequate for consistent flame (continuous rise and fall of flame on pellet drops)

More details:
  • Start up procedure ignites as normal when commanded
  • TC light turns red, ignition turns off
  • Flame dies down to at or under the firepit
  • On every subsequent pellet drop, the flames reduce to 1in from the bottom of the fire pit, then eventually rise 1in over the top
  • Adjustments to the 3 speeds make no apparent difference in the flame or the feed drop
  • Cleaned hopper completely and vacuumed from top and bottom
  • Removed all pellets from the hopper
  • Tried a different bag of pellets (same brand I've been using all season, no difference). Pellets are dry, always been stored indoors.
  • Fire is very active flames when it is going
Concern:
  • Opening up the motor cover to watch the auger collar turn
    • Once it is in "run mode" (TC light red)
    • At any of the 3 levels
    • the motor turns for about 1.2 seconds, then turns off for about 5.5 seconds
      • Is this normal?
  • During some of these short rotations, no pellets drop.
  • Because the fire is so small, the convection fan only intermittently kicks on.

Tomorrow I am going to remove the auger motor and inspect for something stuck that I couldn't see.

Is there anything else I could check before replacing the motor or board?
Is that a normal way of rotating the feed auger? Service manual says 7.5 SECOND ON TIME on high, but I only observe maybe 1.2 seconds of "on" time.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully help!

The auger motor wont change the timing, that is all done by the control board. If it doesn’t change with the switch it could be the switch or the board

Awesome, thank you, I will check the switch, then trace the wires back to the board.

I've (hopefully) uploaded a video showing the rotation of the auger during "run mode". Is this showing normal auger movement?

Yes auger is working correctly. If the cap on the plug was bad the auger would switch direction each time it came on, so it looks good going by the video