2014-2015. What's in your stack?.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Hi all, I started filling up my ready to burn wood area in front of my garage door and as I sit back and enjoy a cold beer, I begin to realize that I have a great selection of wood this year. I was looking at Maple, Cherry, Red Oak (that is 1 1/2 years old, ready due to the fact I cut it smaller, single stacked it and left it in the sun and wind) Beech and Black locust......I have some Honey Locust but I haven't tested it yet due to the poor results I got last time.......

Last year I had over a cord in the same spot and ending up dipping into more stash due to the long cold winter......

So, what do you all have to burn and how much are you planning for the upcoming year?..........

Three cord as usual. Oak for the shoulder season. Then some Oak for the middle. And then some Oak for the other shoulder season. Actually have some Beech in the stack for next year due to a neighbor whacking one next to his yard this year. I loves me some Beech firewood.

Getting old and feeble so staying three ahead ain't happening these days.

Not a lot of hard woods around here so I take everything. Lodge pole pine, blue spruce, cotton wood, Russian olive, quaking aspen, Siberian elm. Also a big stack of dried wood from the center of some large cable reels.
All in all about 8 cords right now.

I have around 4 cords for this winter. A lot of aspen, maple and red oak. Also a pretty good bit of Black Locust and White Oak.
That's a great mix, how far are you ahead?

Looking at a hodgepodge down this way. Mostly oak and hickory with a touch or cherry and some chestnut thrown in for good measure. Could be a few sticks of last year's maple moved over from the stacks.
That's a nice mix too.... But how much do you get to enjoy burning being way down south in GA.?

Three cord as usual. Oak for the shoulder season. Then some Oak for the middle. And then some Oak for the other shoulder season. Actually have some Beech in the stack for next year due to a neighbor whacking one next to his yard this year. I loves me some Beech firewood.

Getting old and feeble so staying three ahead ain't happening these days.
Feeble? BROTHER BART? No way! No How! Not the way you post.....==c

Not a lot of hard woods around here so I take everything. Lodge pole pine, blue spruce, cotton wood, Russian olive, quaking aspen, Siberian elm. Also a big stack of dried wood from the center of some large cable reels.
All in all about 8 cords right now.
Nice going, keep it up.....I wish I had 8 cords........

Reactions: Mag Craft
Hell I was done with cutting and splitting three years ago. Was just gonna start buying wood. Then my neighbor had a bunch of big oaks taken down around his house and so...

Hell I was done with cutting and splitting three years ago. Was just gonna start buying wood. Then my neighbor had a bunch of big oaks taken down around his house and so...
Hell, I'm one of those guys in jersey that gets 16 " or so rounds in big batches every now and then, that makes me lucky too.....

Nice going, keep it up.....I wish I had 8 cords........

Well I am retired and it keeps me out of trouble. My wife is always surprised from all the different sources that I have been able to scrounge free wood.

Reactions: aussiedog3
Well I am retired and it keeps me out of trouble. My wife is always surprised from all the different sources that I have been able to scrounge free wood.
I keep my eyes open and once and awhile I hit a jackpot....

Allot of Larch, some fir and good old 'Beetle kill' pine.

Couldn't really comment on actual Cord amounts. I have four 10 x 6 x 16" rows of splits that I hope will make the season.

It's being delivered later today. Mixed hardwood, 1 year seasoned. I have 6 cord of red oak which was split up last Fall and this Spring, but decided to buy 3 cord for his season and let the oak sit until 2015/2016. I also have a couple cord of mixed wood (maple, cherry, ash and oak) that I will burn if I fly through the 3 cord delivery. Should be plenty of stacking over the next few days.

Almost all ash except for the box alder, pine, and willow from spring clean up in the yard. The stacks out back for future years (hopefully) have beach, maple, ash and Red pine, and a couple peices of mystery wood ( heavy and it laughs at the x27) no bark.

For the first time I'm not gonna have any oak ready. So, it'll be soft maple, birch, cherry, and beech.

Last year was our first year in a new house and with a new stove. We closed on the house mid August and the first thing I did was order wood - 2 cord dry and 1 cord green. The dry stuff was mostly maple with some beech and birch and the green was red oak and maple. The next thing I did was order and install my stove. Overall it went well even with mixing some green in with the dry. We burned 3 cord but would have burned around 4 if I had it available.

This year will be much better. I have around 1.5 cord of pine that's been CSS since last September, 1.5 cord of red oak that's been CSS since last October (it's not perfect yet but it will be decent), 1.5 cord of soft maple and popple CSS since March. I also have 4 cord of mixed black birch, beech and maple that's been CSS since May. There's another 2 cord of red oak drying for next winter with another cord left that needs to be CSS. I bought the 4 cord of mixed black birch, beech and maple but everything else has been cut and split by hand by me since last summer.

I am now 3 years ahead with the help and knowledge I gained from finding this site. For this year we have 5 cords of red oak and 2 cords of white pine.

Have the same mix for next season and the season after. I like the pine for early and late season fires and it's great for starting a fire.

After last winters cold and snow we had I am hoping for a milder winter. If so that would mean burning only 3-4 cords and put us even more ahead. :)

Not overly excited about the wood I will be burning this year. Mostly red oak that has been seasoned and out in the open top covered for about 7 or so years. Much lose bark and some rot to deal with that I will get off because I don't want the mess in the house. On the other hand, will be glad to finally get all the old stuff burned. Next year, and the next year and the next year will be 80% good looking locust, with some oak, mulberry and cherry........

Don't give up old man, this old man (me) certainly is not planning on it. I am getting feebler, slower and barely able to keep ahead these days. But it is still one of the top 10 things I enjoy doing in life so I am going to keep doing it as long as the almighty will let me ;)

I am now 3 years ahead with the help and knowledge I gained from finding this site. For this year we have 5 cords of red oak and 2 cords of white pine.

Have the same mix for next season and the season after. I like the pine for early and late season fires and it's great for starting a fire.

After last winters cold and snow we had I am hoping for a milder winter. If so that would mean burning only 3-4 cords and put us even more ahead. :)
Idk, I heard it was 50 degrees this morning up by you and it's the middle of august....

I burn what I burn . . . and that wood is seasoned . . . put in the woodshed two years ago now so I have no idea of what it is . . . mostly hardwood . . . of some sort.

Reactions: aansorge
I've got a little over 3 cord of red maple, black cherry and poplar to burn this winter so far. 4 cords of pin, red, water and post oak getting happy. It should be ready by next winter. I'm working on 2016-17 now

That's a nice mix too.... But how much do you get to enjoy burning being way down south in GA.?

Not as much as you fellas up north thats for sure! I go through about a cord a year on average last winter was a solid cord and a half to heat 2200sqft sieve of a house.

We have a heat pump but burn for all of our heat except for the rare occasion when we leave town for a few days. Wood is the only way i can keep the wife comfortable in the winter with out the 250 dollar power bills.

I'm looking forward to the 60 dollar power bills again starting about November.

Status
Not open for further replies.