2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my situation i was looking for performance more than look,so my wife. But i can see/understand that some details can be more important for some than others. The way i see it is this way: people always are going to dislike something. If is not the way the stove looks is the food that you offer to them with the best of the intentions, if not, is the coffee, if not, is the carpet, the color of the furniture, and the list keep growing. it is human nature. at that point i can care less about look or what somebody else have to say. for me is about performance and i did not have the time to go thru so many brands and try this and that Getting old already and the process can take years:) . thanks to many of you here i did a good decision. My family and I are happy with what we have. that is what is important regardless what is the brand use. Hell they were ok with the Englander, I was the one that feels that i need something else. After all i am the one doing CSS, I should have the right to say in what i want to burn and in what i see all my work going to ashes. :cool:

Last edited:
I just lit the stove up for the first time this week. Let it go cold Monday and couldn't stand it any longer so cleaned the flue and stove even though I told myself I wouldn't until Spring.

This time yesterday it was in the 70's and I was counting the blooms on my peach trees! Looks like yet another crazy winter has tricked them! No peaches for me

I just lit the stove up for the first time this week. Let it go cold Monday and couldn't stand it any longer so cleaned the flue and stove even though I told myself I wouldn't until Spring.

This time yesterday it was in the 70's and I was counting the blooms on my peach trees! Looks like yet another crazy winter has tricked them! No peaches for me

Almost same condition here with this weather. I am just disappointed.:mad:

Reactions: Woody Stover
For those too cheap to fork over the extra bucks upfront, there's always sour grapes.

Sour grapes perhaps, but burning part time I go through maybe a cord a year of free wood. Not going to make my money back on efficiency.

Besides, historically my problem has been not enough heat rather than not being able to burn low enough.

I do think the BKs are nice stoves and considered one, but there's no dealers nearby and didn't see the benefit of going out of my way.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Almost same condition here with this weather. I am just disappointed.:mad:
Bummer, we have stayed consistently cooler this winter. It's the coldest Dec-Feb since 1985 and my diminishing wood stash shows it. Spring flowers are about 3 weeks behind last year's warm winter so far. No fruit trees have bloomed, though one of our plums has fat buds on it. A little snow is predicted for overnight.

Bummer, we have stayed consistently cooler this winter. It's the coldest Dec-Feb since 1985 and my diminishing wood stash shows it. Spring flowers are about 3 weeks behind last year's warm winter so far. No fruit trees have bloomed, though one of our plums has fat buds on it. A little snow is predicted for overnight.

Here is crazy. Sometimes between day and night there is a difference of 50 degrees swing or more. My field is not completely dry like other years. The horses still gracing here and there.

Sour grapes perhaps, but burning part time I go through maybe a cord a year of free wood. Not going to make my money back on efficiency.

Besides, historically my problem has been not enough heat rather than not being able to burn low enough.

I do think the BKs are nice stoves and considered one, but there's no dealers nearby and didn't see the benefit of going out of my way.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I think I read somewhere that they will sell to other dealers even if they don't carry them. They just have to call them up to get it going. Pretty sure BKVP said that. My next fireplace will most likely be the ashford 25 insert but the closet dealer for bk is 1 to 1-1/2 hours away and they don't install that far away so I either pick it up there and install myself or find an installer to do it or try to convince my dealer to get me one and have them install it. Which I have a feeling will be a nightmare to get him to do.

Lopi Rockport

Reactions: BKVP
The option to burn slow and low is only a bad thing if your neighbor has that ability and you don't. When somebody expresses sour grapes, it means that they put down something simply because they can't have it.
No doubt a good catalytic stove costs more than a non-cat but, depending upon the value of your time, the cat will likely pay for itself in wood savings.
For those too cheap to fork over the extra bucks upfront, there's always sour grapes.
First off, why would it be a "bad thing" if your neighbor is able to enjoy a long burn? Maybe you would begrudge him his ability to burn long....I wouldn't. :confused:
Secondly, anyone who wants to heat with wood seriously over the long haul, and has done the research, is going to pick the stove they think is right for them and understand that the initial price isn't that important over a period of years. I don't think that most who opts for a 'value' stove, because they have other priorities for their money right now, is going to "put down" someone else's stove.
And the majority of the secondary-burn stoves ain't exactly cheap. Hearthstones are downright pricey, but I would shell out the money for that Manchester...I bet it's a sweet rig. I'd go for the enamel as well. >> In the PEs you can run the price up in a hurry when you start adding options, like the various colors of enamel trim.
I've been enjoying wood heat for 40 years, pre-EPA stoves the first half, and EPA approved designs the second half. All have been great with one glaring fault. The living space tends to become too hot soon after it reaches the comfort zone. Or, the wood burns up and the house becomes too cold.
If you couldn't keep your place within an acceptable comfort range, that could have to do with weatherization needed in the house or with the particular stove you had. I don't think you can necessarily blame the burn technology for that, since many here can heat well with secondary stoves.
BTW, what stove are you running now? If you put your stove in your signature, people won't have to guess where you might be coming from...

You nailed it with the looks. Wife looked at BK's at the time I was looking and said no way! Went with Quad Explorer 3. Center piece of the room and I wasn't going to win that on functionality.
That was then, this is now; Maybe you can slip the Ashford past her. ==c I probably wouldn't go that route, but maybe you would want to. ;)

Reactions: rdust
:( Yeah, it's about 35* colder here today than yesterday. When you were looking at the peach trees, I was looking at the lawn, thinking I might have to get out the mower soon. :mad:

Grass growin.JPG
It's the coldest Dec-Feb since 1985 and my diminishing wood stash shows it.
I knew it was colder than usual out there this winter, but a 30-yr. benchmark...that's really something! _g
How far ahead on wood do you generally stay? How much ahead are you at this point?

Sorry about the peaches... I HAD to order some cold weather because my window was getting dirty!
Next time, get out the vinegar water, fercrapsake! ;)

I knew it was colder than usual out there this winter, but a 30-yr. benchmark...that's really something! _g
How far ahead on wood do you generally stay? How much ahead are you at this point?
I try to stay about a season ahead, but my reserves are getting depleted. We have dry summers and the wood dries out quickly in the shed. This year I have about 1.5 cords of hardwood stacked outside that will come into the shed. Looks like I'll be buying a couple cords shortly.

Woody, I could get the lawnmower out and have went as far as changing the oil in the push mower to get it ready to mow around the house but even though my Kentucky 31 yard could stand it I still can't bring myself to mow in February!

I told my wife to quit wishing for warm weather so soon, bad things happen when seasons are unseasonable!

Looks like I'll be buying a couple cords shortly.
Well, alright, if you must, but we don't really condone that here. ;) IIRC, you do process your own wood sometimes; Just not enough time to get it dry over a summer?

I've processed plenty of wood over the years but my back is getting to the point and age where I'd rather save it for other fun. Moving 100#+ rounds takes its toll.

Reactions: tarzan
It's funny how different our wives can be. I read a couple of the comments here to my wife where guys said they wanted stove "A" but their wives overrode their decision and picked out the new stove according to looks or color...

and she is >still< laughing. Thankfully...that's definitely not how it works (worked) around here.

She doesn't pick out vehicles either. That's why she drives a truck. Heehee....

Best of luck.... whatever model you got (of wife)....and whatever stove color you ended up with. ;-)

I ran pre EPA stoves for several years then went to a boiler. After the boilers life ran its course the search was on for a efficient wood stove. The name Blaze King kept popping up and all roads ended here at Hearth.com.in my searches. I thank you ALL.I knew I did not want a stove that could not be burned low and slow and clean.Nothing worse than being in a sauna and baked.I talked to many,many members here discussing stoves of all kinds and in the end I decided a cat stove was what was need for my situation. I actually only wanted a 12 hour stove! lol Several of the members here both BK and non BK owners talked some sense into me! I can't thank you enough folks!I was nervous about this as I had never owned and ran one...but the benefits were so appealing to me I took the chance. It wasn't long and a BK Princess Ultra was installed.I was not disappointed! I soon found out that you do not have to be a stove nerd at all to run one! All of my unfounded fears soon vanished.It is very simple to operate and is not rocket science at all.Once the stove taught me how it was to be ran it has became a rather boring ultra reliable routine that even my wife has mastered...(Now thats a testament! lol)This has been the most hassle free stove to run that I have had my hands on bar none! I love the range of heat output on this stove..just incredible! If I want flames they are there..if we want a warm house to come home to hours and hours later...its ready and waiting.My wood consumption has been cut drastically! In all honestly I can't find a single thing to fault.

First off, why would it be a "bad thing" if your neighbor is able to enjoy a long burn?

I wouldn't begrudge a neighbor who could burn long, slow and clean. But plenty of people would. Aesop knew human nature pretty well which is why people found his fables relevant.

Secondly, anyone who wants to heat with wood seriously over the long haul, and has done the research, is going to pick the stove they think is right for them and understand that the initial price isn't that important over a period of years.

That's not accurate on at least two levels.

1) Some people don't have the necessary skills or dedication to do sufficient research to pick the most suitable stove for their situation. People have innate biases too. There is a stove dealer in Bellingham, WA who is so prejudiced against catalytic stoves he refuses to carry ANY! His personal bias is so strong he'll likely never change his mind.

2) Some people are bottom feeders. They will never pay twice as much for a metal box you burn wood in when there is one for half that amount (even if it is actually better). In their mind there is no possibility it could be that much better.

I don't think that most who opts for a 'value' stove, because they have other priorities for their money right now, is going to "put down" someone else's stove.

That actually happens. I've seen it happen right here on Hearth.com forums!

If you couldn't keep your place within an acceptable comfort range, that could have to do with weatherization needed in the house or with the particular stove you had. I don't think you can necessarily blame the burn technology for that, since many here can heat well with secondary stoves.

I'm not blaming the burn technology for fluctuating indoor temperatures - it's the nature of wood heating when compared to centralized heating. However, when the user has more control over the heat output it's going to be easier to maintain consistently comfortable temperatures. And BK's have a history of being adjustable over a wider range than other stoves. The fact that you even brought up weatherization makes me question your grasp of the subject. If my houses had LESS weatherization, they would be less likely to overheat (which necessitates letting the fire go out). If it was real drafty or I was willing to open all my windows, I could burn any old stove on high 24/7 and not worry about overheating. But I would go through a lot of wood.

BTW, what stove are you running now? If you put your stove in your signature, people won't have to guess where you might be coming from...

I've burned over 12 stoves but currently I have an EPA certified Seefire 900S from 1988 in my ski cabin. It has secondary air and is rated at 40,000 btu/hr. I didn't put in in my signature because I'm in the process of replacing it with something that can burn lower and slower. In my primary house I'm on a natural gas pipeline and it's dirt cheap. There I have a 1956 gas fired boiler that's 55% efficient! Yes, almost half the heat goes right up the central chimney. There is also a large old smoke dragon in the daylight basement for emergencies but I only use it if we have an extended power outage which has never happened because I'm served by the same power feed that serves three critical pieces of infrastructure, (one hospital and two oil refineries). So I rarely lose power for more than a couple of hours. The smoke dragon is a huge Woodmiser brand airtight (probably from the 1970's).

Last edited:
Well, i got here after work and the house was 47 df inside with 43 df outside. house is been locked up since last Sunday. Over the week some nights temp been dropping in middle 30s. I running it in the high side to bring the house to temp. family will be here soon. Time to turn the blowers on high.lol

Temps are, top, glass and flue. Not bad For 39 minutes after i got here.
Edit: the 39 minutes is since i fired up. sorry

Attachments

• IMG_20170225_184555891.jpg
    IMG_20170225_184555891.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20170225_184636624.jpg
    IMG_20170225_184636624.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20170225_184750239.jpg
    IMG_20170225_184750239.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20170225_184813550.jpg
    IMG_20170225_184813550.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 162

From my 40 years experience burning wood, it's not about "making my money back". It's about improving the wood burning experience. Sure, if I can burn low and slow I'll go through about 40% less wood but it's not about the money because I cut my own. But if I want to burn dry wood, then each fall I need 3 years of wood put up in various stages of dryness (in this climate). That's a lot of wood. If I can reduce it by 40%, I'll need 40% less space to store it. I'll make 40% less trips to the woodshed and I'll open the door 40% fewer times (further increasing my efficiency). I'll go through 40% less gas in my chainsaw and truck and need to sharpen my chain 40% fewer times.

There's no such thing as "free wood". Even if a good Samaritan regularly dumps piles of wood near your house, you still need to keep it covered and pack it inside.

All this gain in efficiency is just a bonus, the real benefit is maintaining better comfort and starting a larger percentage of fires with a hot start.

Reactions: Tar12
It's funny how different our wives can be. I read a couple of the comments here to my wife where guys said they wanted stove "A" but their wives overrode their decision and picked out the new stove according to looks or color...

and she is >still< laughing. Thankfully...that's definitely not how it works (worked) around here.

She doesn't pick out vehicles either. That's why she drives a truck. Heehee....

Best of luck.... whatever model you got (of wife)....and whatever stove color you ended up with. ;-)
Same here. There's things that are the wife's department, the stove is NOT one of those decisions..

Same here. There's things that are the wife's department, the stove is NOT one of those decisions..
Yeah. At least let me feel that i am capable of provide some warm to the family. ;)

I ran pre EPA stoves for several years then went to a boiler. After the boilers life ran its course the search was on for a efficient wood stove. The name Blaze King kept popping up and all roads ended here at Hearth.com.

I remember when I started googling to find what kinds of stoves there were, some of the top search results were long rants about how any stove was good as long as it didn't have a CAT in it because they had to be replaced every 15 minutes and they were hard to light and complicated to run and just didn't work well at all. For example, this page still comes up in the top 5 for me.

Luckily I also found some stuff from people who had a little less emotional investment in the topic, and so here I am. :)

It's like a religion for some people, I guess. You pick a stove, and having invested in it you know that it was of course the right choice, and go to look for people who think it wasn't so you can tell them how wrong they are. Then you end up with two people who don't know the first thing about each others' stoves, each arguing passionately about how theirs is clearly better.

It's standard human behavior, but I don't get it.

Reactions: tarzan and lsucet
I remember when I started googling to find what kinds of stoves there were, some of the top search results were long rants about how any stove was good as long as it didn't have a CAT in it because they had to be replaced every 15 minutes and they were hard to light and complicated to run and just didn't work well at all. For example, this page still comes up in the top 5 for me.

Luckily I also found some stuff from people who had a little less emotional investment in the topic, and so here I am. :)

It's like a religion for some people, I guess. You pick a stove, and having invested in it you know that it was of course the right choice, and go to look for people who think it wasn't so you can tell them how wrong they are. Then you end up with two people who don't know the first thing about each others' stoves, each arguing passionately about how theirs is clearly better.

I will always be grateful to the fact that i found this site. this site should exist for ever. the information here, i have no way of describe it. the best advice that i have for new people is to read this site as much they can before becoming a member unless they have some pertinent questions. you can absorb more and make better decision that way, regardless which brand is the one catching your eyes.;)

One you become a member is when the war start;lol and more if you already did the purchase. Now is when mine is better than yours take place. You are right about that site, it is a single person opinion and point of view plus who knows what is behind all that. That is where this site come to play a big role guiding you in the right direction with any brand and technology. It is not about BK,Quadra Lopi etc, because there is plenty of members here with experience that can make anything work for you and sharing their knowledge. it is up to you if in the future you want something else. For sure in the meantime you will stay warm for sure.

Well at this point i don't know if i should stop drinking or keep going.lol;lol

Last edited:
You pick a stove, and having invested in it you know that it was of course the right choice, and go to look for people who think it wasn't so you can tell them how wrong they are. Then you end up with two people who don't know the first thing about each others' stoves, each arguing passionately about how theirs is clearly better.

Clearly that happens in a few cases but I don't think it's the norm. For example, many Blaze King owners have owned other modern stoves (some many) and yet their experiences have a high correlation with those who are on their first. In other words, many BK owners have plenty to compare to.

As for me, I've burned plenty of stoves but never a Blaze King. In fact, I've never even seen one in the metal (my nearest dealer had only gas stoves on display). But I have done my research and it's pretty much settled.

I'll be pissed if every BK owner was blowing hot air up my butt. Somehow, I don't think that's the situation.

Reactions: lsucet and tarzan
Status
Not open for further replies.