2018/19 VC Owners Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll ordering the Auber AT100 and the WRNK-191 probe this weekend hopefully. Chimney gets swept on Feb. 1st and will be installed then (if it arrives by then). Thanks to all who gave guidance to me on this.

You can have it installed about 20 minutes after it arrives. A few notes about this, it is calibrated for celsius, so when you switch to Fahrenheit, you will have to adjust the # offset of degrees for calibration. I used boiling water and ice water to test my calibration, but since it is mainly for high temps, calibrated to the boiling water.

Finding out how to get to the calibration menu was the hardest part.

Set, 0089, set.
Then use arrows to find c-f for celsius or Fahrenheit, then arrows to find PSb

(from their manual)
upload_2019-1-9_11-29-5.png

I ordered the version that has 2 displays... it’s awesome have 1 in the bedroom for at night.
Is that the At200? It would be sweet if there was a model that tracked 2 temps. One probe for the cat and one for the flue.

You can have it installed about 20 minutes after it arrives. A few notes about this, it is calibrated for celsius, so when you switch to Fahrenheit, you will have to adjust the # offset of degrees for calibration. I used boiling water and ice water to test my calibration, but since it is mainly for high temps, calibrated to the boiling water.

Finding out how to get to the calibration menu was the hardest part.

Set, 0089, set.
Then use arrows to find c-f for celsius or Fahrenheit, then arrows to find PSb

(from their manual)
View attachment 237826
Did you find that it was off by very much? I took mine out of the box and plugged it in. Never messed with the calibration.

Is that the At200? It would be sweet if there was a model that tracked 2 temps. One probe for the cat and one for the flue.
It’s a secondary to the master... basically they are identical units. Only difference is one has the probe connection.

The secondary one syncs wirelessly to parent.

What’s cool is you can do settings from either one and also both have alarms.

It’s the AT210-T

Did you find that it was off by very much? I took mine out of the box and plugged it in. Never messed with the calibration.

Same here. I just switched from C to F. When the stove is cold the meter reads 70 and the thermometer in the same room reads 70
I think it is all good.

You are probably the only winterwarm guy here Everyone in here is mainly running a defiant or encore. @defiant3 , @begreen , or@bhollar would be the 3 that I can think of that can help you.

Thanks for the clarification and the possible contacts.

At worst, I would loose some efficiency if some of the flame made it through the space and up to the chimney instead of the cat.

Thanks again.

At worst, I would loose some efficiency if some of the flame made it through the space and up to the chimney instead of the cat.

Thanks again.
Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Thanks again.

I would post that question right in the hearth room forum. Hopefully, one of the experts will give you some insight.

I did in the Main Hearth Forums, The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces, before I found this thread.
We dinosaur WinterWarm Small users are a dying breed. Over the past 16 years or so I have spent about $1500.00 on two rebuilds and a new liner. The year we got it, our heat bill dropped $600. A few year later it was paid for itself. It was a bit small for heating our house, but our fireplace was small so the Large model would not fit.
It did help family time since the bedrooms were cool, the kids would sit in the living room to study and pass the time. After a furnace upgrade, the savings when down so replacing the unit was not economical. It is still nice to warm the main floor in the evening and morning and even keep the furnace use to a minimum during the day.
A sincere thanks for your replies and guidance.

My only issue with the new door gaskets is where the 2 ends meet at the bottom on the one door.

Tried my best to trim them from unraveling. I’m not 100% confident they won’t.

I used a torch to give a quick melt at the ends to help.

Same here. I just switched from C to F. When the stove is cold the meter reads 70 and the thermometer in the same room reads 70
I think it is all good.

mine was way off. Mine read 0º at Celsius, and when I switched it to F it read something really odd like 43º

mine was way off. Mine read 0º at Celsius, and when I switched it to F it read something really odd like 43º

Wow
Good thing you noticed right away.

Mine is within a couple degrees of the thermostat (cold stove obviously) so I’m good with that.

Just curious.

What's the average temp you all hit on low burn overnight for the catalyst? For those people with a digital cat probe anyway.

I seem to hit 1500 to 1600 every night which seems high but maybe not.

Small loads during the day never get that high, only when the stove is stuffed. Also, something that was interesting I ran the stove without the catalyst a few times and still hit the same temps.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just curious.

What's the average temp you all hit on low burn overnight for the catalyst? For those people with a digital cat probe anyway.

Small loads during the day never get that high, only when the stove is stuffed. Also, something that was interesting I ran the stove without the catalyst a few times and still hit the same temps.

Are you turning your primary air down enough? I can hit those temps if I turn my primary down enough to kill the flames in the box but not enough to slow the off gassing if that makes any sense.

Just curious.

Mine does the same thing... usually calms down after a bit and settles around 1400. But like you I always spike up to 1500-1600.

My alarm is set for 1800. And has never gone off during overnight sleep. But I do get spikes overnight too.

Are you turning your primary air down enough? I can hit those temps if I turn my primary down enough to kill the flames in the box but not enough to slow the off gassing if that makes any sense.
Doesn't seem to matter where the air is set. Even all the way closed I get those temps, always have flames in the box no matter what. I actually think I get higher temps the more I close the air once it's going well, almost seems as though running the stove hotter burns more smoke before it gets to the catalyst.

Mine does the same thing... usually calms down after a bit and settles around 1400. But like you I always spike up to 1500-1600.

My alarm is set for 1800. And has never gone off during overnight sleep. But I do get spikes overnight too.
Thanks.

Maybe I don't need to worry.

Also, something that was interesting I ran the stove without the catalyst a few times and still hit the same temps.

This does not make sense.

You are running a flex burn correct.

Once you remove the cat, you are running the stove as a non cat downdraft unit with secondary comubstion occurring in the refractory box. I would keep the cat in the box.

Always wondered what the point would be to run it without the cat in place? If it made a difference in the draft otherwise maybe.

Always wondered what the point would be to run it without the cat in place? If it made a difference in the draft otherwise maybe.
i could see if you were going to be wood that was really sub par, and you didn't want to trash your cat.

You are running a flex burn correct.

Once you remove the cat, you are running the stove as a non cat downdraft unit with secondary comubstion occurring in the refractory box. I would keep the cat in the box.
Yes, model 1975 defiant flexburn.

I do keep the cat in, it was more just experimenting with the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.