2018/19 VC Owners Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont rember any discussion on this. Cleaned the stove today. Vacuumed the cat. Noticed that some of the cells are getting cracked.
I run my stove in cat alot. Id say 75 to 80% of the time.
Do you guys run your stoves that much with the damper closed
What is the life of your cat.. how often are you swapping it out..
Just looking for what you guys are doing with your stoves and the longevity of your cat
Has anyone had to change your gaskets in your 2040.. if so how long did it take for them to start to go
Who has the oldest 2040 that we know of mines not that old

Mine is always going through the cat except for start ups and sometimes the in the shoulder for just a quick warm up in the evening then let it go out. Haven't check my cat lately but it's only a year old.

Mine is always going through the cat except for start ups and sometimes the in the shoulder for just a quick warm up in the evening then let it go out. Haven't check my cat lately but it's only a year old.
How old is your stove kev.. are you a 2040

My stove is a 17' model and is a Encore 2040. I believe it was siting around the stove shop for almost a year before it was sold to me. I believe the porcelain back is flawed as the cat cover fits too loosely and has to be held in place by a piece of gasket rope to keep from falling into the stove. My only problem with it. Kevin

Strange that the 2040 would need a gasket, where all previous models did not.

Also, strange that the 2040 cat is 1/2 the size from the other VC cats, and yet it is to perform the same....

I believe cats are rated in hours. So one guy might get 3 seasons out of where the next only gets 1. Depending on the weather I typically burn from October to May and get 2 seasons out of a cat.

I dont rember any discussion on this. Cleaned the stove today. Vacuumed the cat. Noticed that some of the cells are getting cracked.
I run my stove in cat alot. Id say 75 to 80% of the time.
Do you guys run your stoves that much with the damper closed
What is the life of your cat.. how often are you swapping it out..
Just looking for what you guys are doing with your stoves and the longevity of your cat
Has anyone had to change your gaskets in your 2040.. if so how long did it take for them to start to go
Who has the oldest 2040 that we know of mines not that old

my 2040 is a late 2013 model (purchased in 2015). I had to replace the cat in 2016. VC has a limited warranty on their cats, depending on how many years it is.
Attached is the picture that I posted a long time ago, you can see that the cat is missing a few pieces. upload_2018-12-31_9-3-56.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't look too bad to me. Supposedly a few missing sections aren't that critical to the operation of it according to the manual.

That doesn't look too bad to me. Supposedly a few missing sections aren't that critical to the operation of it according to the manual.
nope, but it was under warranty, and it was replaced for free.

Good they honored that. I'll probably look at mine the end of next month to see how its doing when the chimney gets swept.

Good they honored that. I'll probably look at mine the end of next month to see how its doing when the chimney gets swept.
Limited Catalyst Warranty
The catalyst will be warranted for a six year period as follows: If the original catalyst or a replacement catalyst proves defective or ceases to maintain 70% of its particulate emission reduction activity (as measured by an approved testing procedure) within 24 months from the date the stove is received, the catalyst itself will be replaced free.
From 25 - 72 months a pro-rated credit will be allowed against a replacement catalyst and the cost of labor necessary for its installation at the time of replacement.
A third year (25 - 36 months) of no charge replacement will be made when combustor failure is due to thermal degradation of the substrate (crumbling of ceramic material). The customer must pay for any in-home travel fees, service charges, or transportation costs for returning the stove to the Authorized Dealer.
Amount of Time Credit Towards
Since Purchase Replacement Cost
0 - 24 months 100%
25 - 36 months 50%
37 - 48 months 30%
49 - 60 months 20%
61 - 72 months 10%
Any replacement catalyst will be warranted under the terms of the catalyst warranty for the remaining term of the original warranty. The purchaser must provide the following information in order to receive a replacement catalyst under the terms of this limited warranty:
1. Name, address and telephone number.
2. Proof of original purchase date.
3. Date of failure of catalyst.
4. Any relevant information or circumstances regarding determination of failure.
5. In addition, the owner must return the failed catalyst.

So, during normal operation through the cat should there be flames present all the time till it coals on my Encore 2040. It seems when flames die out way before the coaling, it off gasses too much leading to puff backing. When I open primary to start flames back up no puff backing and I can see secondaries light off at the top prior to the cat. Should it be this way? Should the primary by closed down enough so the gasses can't ignite prior to going through the cat? If it off gasses like this is it an indication wood is too small still?

So, during normal operation through the cat should there be flames present all the time till it coals on my Encore 2040. It seems when flames die out way before the coaling, it off gasses too much leading to puff backing. When I open primary to start flames back up no puff backing and I can see secondaries light off at the top prior to the cat. Should it be this way? Should the primary by closed down enough so the gasses can't ignite prior to going through the cat? If it off gasses like this is it an indication wood is too small still?
Pm sent

I feel like with certain fuels/wood I close down all air and it still has “some” flames. Soft maple gasser.

But with greener oak I can get it to cook on coals with a little flame in the back by the CAT. Great for overnight burns.

I’m assuming this is all normal. That it’s not all just air control but 50% of the science is fuel type?

My only issue with this is it makes the entire process slightly more stressful than a non CAT stove. But definitely more efficient. So I’m good with that.

Reactions: Kevin Weis
I feel like with certain fuels/wood I close down all air and it still has “some” flames. Soft maple gasser.

But with greener oak I can get it to cook on coals with a little flame in the back by the CAT. Great for overnight burns.

I’m assuming this is all normal. That it’s not all just air control but 50% of the science is fuel type?

My only issue with this is it makes the entire process slightly more stressful than a non CAT stove. But definitely more efficient. So I’m good with that.

Looks like you are getting the process figured out.

Reactions: frased

after a while you figure out what a good mix is, and what temps should be when. I have to readjust when I switch wood types, so things have been a little off since i've been burning pine this year season. Every so often I will throw a piece of elm or locust in there to extend the burn times

after a while you figure out what a good mix is, and what temps should be when. I have to readjust when I switch wood types, so things have been a little off since i've been burning pine this year season. Every so often I will throw a piece of elm or locust in there to extend the burn times

For sure you have to readjust your burning process based on wood type. But it is fun!

I like the mention of being a science with the type of wood burned. The funny thing is in the 2040 owners manual (and I suspect others) VC mentions the operation is "more of an art than a science". Really? It's all science to me. Just saying.

Reactions: Diabel and frased
Don't know how much credibility but check out this video

I’m still trying to figure out the air leak from the bottom of my right door.
Which way do the door hinge pins go in? It looks like the fatter end is what the bottom of the door turns on, and the top pin has a space for the larger end of the pin inside the door so that you have the skinny end of the door pin at the top unlike the fatter end at the bottom. Is this correct?

He seemed hell bent on never going over 1400 on the CAT. My alarm is set to 1800. I’d go nuts if I tried to stay under 1400 every burn.
I agree but he had issues with the secondary system over firing and damaging both cats and refractory, when consulting with VC they recommended burning lower with the primary air or loading less, he also stated opening the baffle to remove the high heat.
The reason I posted this video was not to take a swipe at any brand, its to inform the users that the main co falls back on nit picking warrantee items, in his case it was not having someone certified to install or preform maintenance on the units.

Status
Not open for further replies.