2018/2019 Pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm really not sure what some folks do to their cars, but I wouldn't call their experience normal.
I was thinking this 2014 Ram might be a flood truck. Was purchased last year. Would explain both the electrical issues and the rust.

Reactions: Ashful
It is about durability.
I don’t think it is. In fact, the SRT’s report fewer reliability problems than the lower-HP Ram’s. If you’re within the design limits of the components, the increased HP is not going to have any first-order effect on reliability.

Yes but where in the rpm range are they making power? Trucks need low end power your car doesnt it works better with a more even power band.
You know, I thought you had a good thought there, so I did some reading up on this. It turns out the SRT 6.4L makes more horsepower and torque at EVERY RPM, not just up high. Apparently, the main issue was getting the truck to run on 89 octane, whereas the SRT requires 92 octane.

The SRT versions of that 6.4L Hemi run a compression ratio of 10.9:1, and the truck motor is dialed down to 10:1, and timing changed to allow it to run the lower octane fuel. This also resulted in a less-peaked HP curve, which creative marketing folks can call a “wider power band”, if you like. It’s really just making less HP and torque over the entire band, at all RPM.

Torque (lb-ft.):
Heavy truck 6.4L Hemi: 429 @ 4000 rpm
Light truck 6.4L Hemi: 429 @ 4000 rpm
SRT 6.4L Hemi: 475 @ 4100 rpm

I guess you could split hairs, and say the truck makes it’s maximum torque at an RPM just 2% lower than the car, but the car is actually making more than 429 lb-ft at 4000 RPM, too.

Power (hp):
Heavy truck 6.4L Hemi: 367 @ 4600 rpm
Light truck 6.4L Hemi: 410 @ 5600 rpm
SRT 6.4L Hemi: 485 @ 6100 rpm

Here, yes... obvious difference. In fact, I think the rev limiter on the trucks is set at 5800 rpm on the light truck version and 4660 rpm on the heavy truck version, so it’s just never going to build much horsepower (= torque * rpm / 5252).

I guess it mostly comes down to the almighty dollar, getting them to run on low-octane pump gas.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is. In fact, the SRT’s report fewer reliability problems than the lower-HP Ram’s. If you’re within the design limits of the components, the increased HP is not going to have any first-order effect on reliability.

You know, I thought you had a good thought there, so I did some reading up on this. It turns out the SRT 6.4L makes more horsepower and torque at EVERY RPM, not just up high. Apparently, the main issue was getting the truck to run on 89 octane, whereas the SRT requires 92 octane.

The SRT versions of that 6.4L Hemi run a compression ratio of 10.9:1, and the truck motor is dialed down to 10:1, and timing changed to allow it to run the lower octane fuel. This also resulted in a less-peaked HP curve, which creative marketing folks can call a “wider power band”, if you like. It’s really just making less HP and torque over the entire band, at all RPM.

Torque (lb-ft.):
Heavy truck 6.4L Hemi: 429 @ 4000 rpm
Light truck 6.4L Hemi: 429 @ 4000 rpm
SRT 6.4L Hemi: 475 @ 4100 rpm

I guess you could split hairs, and say the truck makes it’s maximum torque at an RPM just 2% lower than the car, but the car is actually making more than 429 lb-ft at 4000 RPM, too.

Power (hp):
Heavy truck 6.4L Hemi: 367 @ 4600 rpm
Light truck 6.4L Hemi: 410 @ 5600 rpm
SRT 6.4L Hemi: 485 @ 6100 rpm

Here, yes... obvious difference. In fact, I think the rev limiter on the trucks is set at 5800 rpm on the light truck version and 4660 rpm on the heavy truck version, so it’s just never going to build much horsepower (= torque * rpm / 5252).

I guess it mostly comes down to the almighty dollar, getting them to run on low-octane pump gas.
Ok nevermind then i did no research just thought it would make sense.

I personally feel the 5.3 Vortec is underpowered. My 2012 truck has had oil consumption since day one. GM says a quote of oil consumption per 3000 miles is "normal".
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not only is the engine a bit underpowered for towing, but also the braking system in a 3/4 ton truck is way better matched to be pulling and stopping 3 times the weight of the truck. 15000lbs total counting the weight of the truck. If i were towing 10000 lbs regularly i would want 400+Hp and a 3/4 ton platform with the bigger heavier braking system than the half ton models. I do realize the some half tons are rated to tow that much but the 3/4 ton truck would be a better choice if your going to be towing often IMO. Just yesterday i had to stop suddenly while carrying 1 ton of concrete blocks. Im not confident my half ton would have stopped as fast and avoided a collision with the car in front of me in the same situation.

I drive a 17 F150 with 5.0 and 3.72's, I do quite a bit of highway and average around 19 mpg total. Then again I've always gotten decent mileage from my vehicles, it must be my driving habits. I have two friends that have RAMS, one is a 14 and the other is a 16, both with the 5.7. They average somewhere around 14 or 15 mpg. Not sure of towing but both of them are happy with the trucks. I'm definitely happy with my Ford so far, max tow on my set up is close to 10,000 I believe according to Fords chart. Whatever you end up getting post up some pics!

I personally feel the 5.3 Vortec is underpowered. My 2012 truck has had oil consumption since day one. GM says a quote of oil consumption per 3000 miles is "normal".

Sorry a little off tangent....but similar story on oil consumption.

I have a 2011 Suburban. Started consuming oil at about 50k. Was told same thing, normal consumption is a quart or 2 every 2000 miles. I thought that was insane. Seems a little better but still too much.Started tracking it diligently. Brought it to dealer and they said yes they have some fixes. Some kind of filter in the oil pan stage 1 or something??kinda fuzzy on details now. Same issue. Then they put in a new oil pan deflector. So go back and forth with them. They want to see it every 1000 miles. still using too much.

Final time there , tech comes out and says it is low we are going to try a deflector. I said already has one, he said "oh" I said get manager he knows all about this truck. Manager comes out and says, yep Chevy had issue with late 2010 and early 11 engines. Going to get you new engine.

So at 90,000 miles I got new engine. Has 176,000 now and has had zero issues.

Reactions: Todd67
Thanks everyone for your input. Still looking at options and I just put new tires on my Silverado so might run it through the winter before making a change. I have been a GM fan my whole life but something about these Hemi motors has me looking at them. Lots of friends and family has switched to Toyota, I can't to it though.

Reactions: Ashful
Sorry a little off tangent....but similar story on oil consumption.

I have a 2011 Suburban. Started consuming oil at about 50k. Was told same thing, normal consumption is a quart or 2 every 2000 miles. I thought that was insane. Seems a little better but still too much.Started tracking it diligently. Brought it to dealer and they said yes they have some fixes. Some kind of filter in the oil pan stage 1 or something??kinda fuzzy on details now. Same issue. Then they put in a new oil pan deflector. So go back and forth with them. They want to see it every 1000 miles. still using too much.

Final time there , tech comes out and says it is low we are going to try a deflector. I said already has one, he said "oh" I said get manager he knows all about this truck. Manager comes out and says, yep Chevy had issue with late 2010 and early 11 engines. Going to get you new engine.

So at 90,000 miles I got new engine. Has 176,000 now and has had zero issues.
Interesting, I also had the defector installed and they did some kind of engine cleaning. I disabled the AFM shortly after. Motor runs much better without AFM but still burns oil as "normal".

Thanks everyone for your input. Still looking at options and I just put new tires on my Silverado so might run it through the winter before making a change. I have been a GM fan my whole life but something about these Hemi motors has me looking at them. Lots of friends and family has switched to Toyota, I can't to it though.

I probably already mentioned this, so sorry if it’s a repeat, I’m too lazy to go back and look. I was also a GM fan, and wasn’t thrilled with the idea of switching to Dodge, but I wanted manual trans on my 2005 pickup. At the time Dodge was the only maker still offering manual trans with a v8 and quad cab, so that forced my hand.

Dodge’s reputation was pretty much crap in my book, earned thru the sins of three decades of quality problems. I looked at my (then new) ‘05 Dodge, and could point out a half dozen areas where I felt my old Chevy was better. Both were 1/2 ton 4x4 quad cabs, basically the same truck separated by a decade. But, when it came down to it, that Chevy Silverado was constantly in the shop for different repairs, and I only had one minor repair in 12 years of owning the Dodge. That repair was a torn rubber boot on the front left CV joint, which probably happened when I was off-roading it, not really a component failure... just bad luck in catching a branch on the ground.

Thirteen years and three Dodge products later, they’ve really won me over. My family has also owned three Mercedes products in that time, and I really see where Daimler imposed a lot of change on Dodge design and component selection. The one folks here might appreciate most is ditching their old transmissions and going with ZF Friedrichsafen 8HP series (both my car and truck have the 8HP70), as transmission problems plagued Dodge over prior decades. My 2005 truck had a Getrag transmission, from Daimler influence, also never a problem.

In the end, I choose my car (and truck) brand more by dealership, than by anything else. When my wife worked close to a Jaguar dealership, she drove a Jag. When we lived close to an Audi dealership, we bought an Audi. Now I live close to a popular Dodge/Ram dealership with whom I have good experience, so that’s what I’m driving. If that changes, I’ll probably end up driving some other brand, assuming they can offer something that suits me.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley
I love my 2015 RAM 2500 Megacab 4x4 with the Cummins. I get over 20 MPG around town and usually about 25 MPG on the highway. I do drive like a grandma on her way to church and drive to maximize my MPG. The exhaust brake is awesome in the mountains. I do not tow much, but when I do I feel 100 times safer with it. Eventually we will likely get a camper trailer, one that could easily be pulled with a 1500 but the Cummins will tow it a lot safer and a lot more efficiently. Over time that fuel savings adds up. Maintenance is not bad at all if you do it yourself. Fuel filters are $80 bucks every $15K miles and take 5 minutes to change. The dealership will charge you $400 and up.

I have read the diesel prices will spike, but I doubt it or hope not. If all diesels have to use the exact same low sulfur diesel that means refinery's only have to produce one type of diesel. Not sure how that would raise the prices, seems like it would lower them. Demand for diesel will not go up, just the demand for low sulfur which would eliminate the demand for the high sulfur diesel which would not be refined anymore. Refineries would just produce the same amount of diesel, just all of it now low sulfur. The farmers, ships etc that use the non low sulfur and have to switch will have to pay more. That is how I see it, only time will tell.

I have a 2018 f250 crew cab 4x4 with 4.30 gears. It has 3700 miles on it. Gas mileage on an overall average has been around 13mpg. We drove across Illinois running 60 to 65mph and were getting 15. Running on the interstate 75 to 80mph between 13 and 14mpg. Pulling a camper weighing roughly 8000lbs we were getting 8.5 to 9mpg. Truck has plenty of power. Does it pull as good as a diesel, no. But then again I didnt spend the extra $10,000 on a diesel either. People can say what they want about mileage. 3/4ton trucks are heavy and built for towing and hauling. Not mileage. I have been around diesels and they great for pulling. I would have loved to have another but I couldn't justify spending that much more one something when I dont tow all the time. I know quite a few people that tow with there diesels and they only get 10 to to 12mpg. One was a 2018 f250 6.7 with 3.31 gears. The choice is really up to you. If you can afford a diesel, go for it. But for most people a gasser is just fine.

My truck has been okay just not impressed with GMs quality these days especially for the price.

My since my dad retired he's put about 35k miles per year on his truck. He uses a GMC Sierra 3500 to pull a 40' fifth wheel trailer. He also splits time between a cabin on Lake Ontario and his house in PA during the summer. So the truck sees a ton of highway miles. He's gone through three of them since he bought his first in 2001. He admittedly loved the 2001 more than the other two, but he really disliked the 2010 and replaced it as soon as it was paid off (which is something he has never done before.)

His current model is a 2015 and its much better than the 2010. Better mileage, better ride, better fit and finish. I think that last generation (2007-2014) just wasn't the greatest. So, it may be worth taking a look at the newer offerings - anything 2015 or newer should be better.

This my rig and dump trailer 2016 ram 2500 diesel, absolutely love it
20170223_154325.jpg

My since my dad retired he's put about 35k miles per year on his truck. He uses a GMC Sierra 3500 to pull a 40' fifth wheel trailer. He also splits time between a cabin on Lake Ontario and his house in PA during the summer. So the truck sees a ton of highway miles. He's gone through three of them since he bought his first in 2001. He admittedly loved the 2001 more than the other two, but he really disliked the 2010 and replaced it as soon as it was paid off (which is something he has never done before.)

His current model is a 2015 and its much better than the 2010. Better mileage, better ride, better fit and finish. I think that last generation (2007-2014) just wasn't the greatest. So, it may be worth taking a look at the newer offerings - anything 2015 or newer should be better.

I agree. I have a 2017 GMC 2500HD and love it. No issues whatsoever to speak of and I already have put 21k miles on it. I know plenty of folks who also use these as work/landscape/tree service trucks and, except for one weird transmission issue covered by extended warranty, no one has had any problems.

Nice! You sure you don’t need a bigger drop on your hitch, though? Truck looks like it’s just about trying to lift the front axle of the trailer.

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda thinking there might be a hill or drop in the driveway where the trailer is parked making it look that way ? Anyways nice set up

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda thinking there might be a hill or drop in the driveway where the trailer is parked making it look that way ? Anyways nice set up
Its the way it was parked, got a 6" drop right now still have 2 more i can go

EAC669F1-454D-459E-92E6-532B8D791E17.jpeg
Jump out of my old ford(have older one too)into my new ford Dually can’t believe I’m getting 16.5 solo with 4.10 rearend ratio with double over 6speed at 2100RPM 45 gallons of fuel on board. Don’t drive a new ford or you will want one. When 2020 gets here will be trading for the 10 speed transmission if it’s available!

Update - purchased 2019 RAM 1500 today with 5.7 hemi. The truck drives and looks great. We will see how it holds up to my routine, off roading, pulling boats and atvs, hauling firewood, ect.
10ec32ad380ca375352447391a1316be.jpg

Update - purchased 2019 RAM 1500 today with 5.7 hemi. The truck drives and looks great. We will see how it holds up to my routine, off roading, pulling boats and atvs, hauling firewood, ect.View attachment 236944

I think you're going to like it, I love mine. Offroad = posi rear? Did you upgrade to the 3.92? I didn't like the feel of the 3.23, drove too much like a CVT for my liking, so I went 3.92 posi rear.

Are they still doing ten cupholders, and dual storage under the floor in the back? More damn storage in this truck than any four vehicles I've ever owned, I still have one glove box and one deck of the center console completely empty.

I've owned around 65 vehicles over the years. Started with GMC and Chevy back in the day, tried a few Fords and Toyotas but will not buy any truck but a (Dodge) Ram now. I've owned five 2500's (4 gas, 1 diesel) and just like every other mechanical thing in existence, they will all eventually have some issue(s). 2500 and 3500 Dodge's are notorious for wearing out front end components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.) faster than other brands (especially if you use a plow) however I just prefer their trucks over anything else out there. The last Ford I bought was a new 2007 F250 4x4. I put 1500 miles on it and parked it until I could trade it in because it was such a piece of crap.

Currently running a '16 Ram Power Wagon and love it. Traded in my '05 Power Wagon just because I wanted something newer.

But talk to 50 different truck owners and you'll get 50 different opinions about what is best.

But talk to 50 different truck owners and you'll get 50 different opinions about what is best.
Thats for sure. Driving style and maintenance mean a lot. Iv seen people pound every vehicle they ever owned into the ground on a daily basis. Too many variables to consider. So im not sure if my GM trucks are bulletproof or if its that i just take good care of them plus have a reasonable driving style.

Reactions: EODMSgt
I've owned around 65 vehicles over the years. Started with GMC and Chevy back in the day, tried a few Fords and Toyotas but will not buy any truck but a (Dodge) Ram now. I've owned five 2500's (4 gas, 1 diesel) and just like every other mechanical thing in existence, they will all eventually have some issue(s). 2500 and 3500 Dodge's are notorious for wearing out front end components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.) faster than other brands (especially if you use a plow) however I just prefer their trucks over anything else out there. The last Ford I bought was a new 2007 F250 4x4. I put 1500 miles on it and parked it until I could trade it in because it was such a piece of crap.

Currently running a '16 Ram Power Wagon and love it. Traded in my '05 Power Wagon just because I wanted something newer.

It is your opinion and I respect that. I am a Ford guy, and also I am a Master tech for Chrysler. Work on a Dodge/Ram dealer but we own the three letters plus many inport letters. The owners own the town in the car market. I can get a good deal on any brand. The same you are saying i can say it from other brands and more about the one I work on it every day.
At the end, they all have problems. I don't see you making sense on what you are saying about a vehicle with 1500 miles only can be that bad. But is okay.

BTW, he is my gear.

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_152157080.jpg
    IMG_20170715_152157080.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 143
It is your opinion and I respect that. I am a Ford guy, and also I am a Master tech for Chrysler.
BTW, he is my gear.

Nice rig. To clarify I was not saying all Fords are bad, just that particular 2007 I purchased. Lord knows Chrysler products have their fair share of issues.