2018/2019 Pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Looking to replace my 2012 Silverado 1500. Been interested in Ram 2500 and Ram 1500. Don't think I will buy another Silverado. My truck has been okay just not impressed with GMs quality these days especially for the price. Does anyone on Hearth have experience with the 6.4 Hemi in regards to mpg? I tow a lot but usually less than 10k lbs. Also interested to hear about who likes the Ram 1500 with 5.7 and mpg.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have 2014 RAM 3500 with the Diesel (6.7L). It gets 22mpg around town. 380hp and lots of Go. Plus can haul a Ton in the bed. I think 37k towing. Been great truck

PM sent

Last edited:
Mpg are dependable in driver habits. 6.4 and 5.7 are good engines with the 5.7 having the best fuel milage as it is obvious. 6.4 of course has e little more power for towing, fuel mileage sucks.but like I said depends on the driver.
For towing i recommend of course a diesel, but with all respect, I don't know about 22mpg city driving. I don't know what type of mod can give you that. To tow that much (37K) you will need the Cummins HO with the Asian transmission not the 68RFE and that will be CGVW. I am a diesel guy, what do you think I recommend? LOL.

Reactions: Ashful
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4L. If you are concerned about fuel economy buy a diesel. I will tell you that the 6.4 has very little difference in power over the 5.7. I had a 2012 1500 I traded in for the 2500 and fuel economy is pretty much the same. 12-13 average. The HUGE difference is the 1500 rear coil springs leave a lot to be desired in towing, the reason I have the 2500 now. If you are considering half ton look very hard at a F150 with a 5.0 in it, it will handle the rated towing load better and safer.

I am very pleased with the Ram truck now after years of owning Ford and Chevy. I am in the market for a diesel right now but, only looking for a Ram with Cummins.

I would like to get a diesel but cannot due to many reasons. Much more comfortable working on gas engines as I do all my own maintenance. The truck will be a daily driver so I am leaning towards the 1500 but the 2500 would be awesome. My Silverado doesn't get great mileage like it is supposed to. It has 80k miles and averages around 17 mpg unloaded. If I went to 15 mpg would be fine with that.

You can order a Ram 1500 with heavy duty rear springs and 3.92 posi rear (an absolute must, for me). This used to be included in the Outdoorsman package, which was more set up for towing by default, but those options change year to year.

I have a 5.7L and a 6.4L, in different vehicles, but PM’d my response since my comments on fuel economy could be considered inflamatory.

You can order a Ram 1500 with heavy duty rear springs and 3.92 posi rear (an absolute must, for me). This used to be included in the Outdoorsman package, which was more set up for towing by default, but those options change year to year.

I have a 5.7L and a 6.4L, in different vehicles, but PM’d my response since my comments on fuel economy could be considered inflamatory.

Let me guess, they do not come even close to what is on the sticker?

Let me guess, they do not come even close to what is on the sticker?

I have a mid-size sedan with the 6.4L. It averages around 12 mpg, but there are some caveats on that. I always disable the MDS system, and put the trans in sport mode, which delays shifts. I also usually drive very short distances, the engine is usually operating below normal operating temperature. I also have a heavy foot, but duh... that’s why I buy small cars with obscenely large engines.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I am not s Dodge owner, never have been. My advice is if you plan on hauling/towing go diesel. Way more torque and the newer turbo diesel gets way better fuel economy. My truck is a f250 crew 4x4 6.7 turbo diesel I can put a 10k trac on plus the trailer and glide down the highway with the cruse on and dont even feel the trailer. GO
DIESEL... if its in the budget

My 04 6.0 Ford diesel gets about 15mpg ( deleted but not chipped) towing 10k plus down the hi way. hardly know it's back there. Don't remember the rear #'s on that one, same load on my 99 v10 gas w/4.77 rear was 8 mpg. for towing. Longer runs diesel is the way to go- short hops around town not that much difference. Higher maintenance cost on the oil burners though. have a 5.4l gas in an 06 as well think that is a 3.78 rear - struggles with that load 10-11 mpg hi way maybe 15 mpg hi way empty. Can't say much about anything newer in the truck division. Been pretty much a ford guy , I did deviate once or twice- wasn't pretty, but that was a long time ago.

Reactions: D8Chumley
. Also interested to hear about who likes the Ram 1500 with 5.7 and mpg.

My friend has a 2014 Dodge 1500 and is always complaining about it. I dont remember all of it but a few times it left him set, wouldnt start for some reason. Also said the exhaust rotted completely off. And the rocker panels are rotting pretty bad. Seems like the truck is too new to have all these problems . He wants to get rid of it and im pretty sure he wont buy another dodge. He did say it has plenty of power with the Hemi engine. That said
I have 2003 Dodge and dont have any of these problems, although its not a pickup truck.

Looking to replace my 2012 Silverado 1500. Been interested in Ram 2500 and Ram 1500. Don't think I will buy another Silverado. My truck has been okay just not impressed with GMs quality these days especially for the price.
Anything specific you dont like about the Silverado?

I personally feel the 5.3 Vortec is underpowered. My 2012 truck has had oil consumption since day one. GM says a quote of oil consumption per 3000 miles is "normal".

I personally feel the 5.3 Vortec is underpowered. My 2012 truck has had oil consumption since day one. GM says a quote of oil consumption per 3000 miles is "normal".

Probably the 6.2 would have been the better choice for towing 10000 Lbs on a regular basis . About 100 extra HP. The oil consumption may have been the result of working the engine hard with the towing.

Last edited:

Probably the 6.2 would have been the better choice for towing 10000 Lbs on a regular basis . About 100 extra HP. The oil consumption may have been the result of working the engine hard with the towing.

A quart is very low for those motors.

The oil consumption issues with gm active fuel management motors stem from a couple things. The oil rings gum up when the cylinder cuts out due to not burning out the cylinder and the oil bypass when it cuts out sprays on the bottom of the cylinder and compounds that problem.

I can fix that issue and the hp/tourque issue for about 3k parts and labor by replacing the cam, lifters, deleting the AFM system and tuning a +75hp tune in the pcm. It actually gains fuel economy doing that too.

My friend has a 2014 Dodge 1500 and is always complaining about it. I dont remember all of it but a few times it left him set, wouldnt start for some reason. Also said the exhaust rotted completely off. And the rocker panels are rotting pretty bad. Seems like the truck is too new to have all these problems . He wants to get rid of it and im pretty sure he wont buy another dodge. He did say it has plenty of power with the Hemi engine. That said
I have 2003 Dodge and dont have any of these problems, although its not a pickup truck.
I have a 2015 Ram and a 2016 Dodge, and have none of these problems. I also had a 2005 Dodge Ram that sat outside for 12 years, sat for long periods without driving (i.e. all summer), was my regular bad-weather vehicle, and never had a spot of rust until it was past 10 years old.

I'm really not sure what some folks do to their cars, but I wouldn't call their experience normal.

I am not s Dodge owner, never have been. My advice is if you plan on hauling/towing go diesel. Way more torque and the newer turbo diesel gets way better fuel economy. My truck is a f250 crew 4x4 6.7 turbo diesel I can put a 10k trac on plus the trailer and glide down the highway with the cruse on and dont even feel the trailer. GO
DIESEL... if its in the budget
If you're buying a tow vehicle, I'd agree with you all day long. But if buying a daily driver that will be occasionally used for towing, I'd go with a gasser. The 5.7L Hemi is simply more fun to drive, you'll have less issues with finding pumps (around here many gas stations don't carry diesel), and you won't recoup the cost of the Cummins until you hit a mileage number way beyond the range of anyone who replaces their truck after 6 years (the OP).

One thing I don’t understand. Assuming the site I checked had the correct spec’s, the Ram 6.4L is only 410 hp. That’s absolutely astounding, that they only get 410 hp out of a 6.4L Hemi, the same motor in my car is set up for 485 hp... and that’s pretty tame. Meanwhile, the 5.7L Hemi is set up for 395 hp... about 10% more hp/cid.

And don’t give me any BS about it being set up for torque, since it’s in a truck. That motor in my car is rated 475 lb-ft, and in the truck it’s a wimpy 429 lb-ft. How the heck does one starve a 6.4L Hemi down to 410 hp and 429 lb-ft. of torque?

I’m guessing this is done to satisfy the marketing requirement of having a big motor in the lineup, while meeting consumption and emissions targets. After all, gasoline is nothing but liquid energy, and horsepower is nothing but the release of this energy over time.

One thing I don’t understand. Assuming the site I checked had the correct spec’s, the Ram 6.4L is only 410 hp. That’s absolutely astounding, that they only get 410 hp out of a 6.4L Hemi, the same motor in my car is set up for 485 hp... and that’s pretty tame. Meanwhile, the 5.7L Hemi is set up for 395 hp... about 10% more hp/cid.

And don’t give me any BS about it being set up for torque, since it’s in a truck. That motor in my car is rated 475 lb-ft, and in the truck it’s a wimpy 429 lb-ft. How the heck does one starve a 6.4L Hemi down to 410 hp and 429 lb-ft. of torque?

I’m guessing this is done to satisfy the marketing requirement of having a big motor in the lineup, while meeting consumption and emissions targets. After all, gasoline is nothing but liquid energy, and horsepower is nothing but the release of this energy over time.

When you mentioned emissions you were 100% correct. The cars and trucks with the 6.4 Hemi effect their overall fuel economy and emission points differently.

It is about durability. Including Cummins is derated when on 4500 and 5500. You get the power and torque capability on 3500 with the HO. If you like manual transmission, the engine is derated also with M/T regardless if it is for consumer or commercial. Commercial vehicle is about durability. 6.4L is available also on commercial vehicle replacing 5.7. it was not a good idea to put the 5.7 on cab and chasis in the past. Ford is the one offering the same engine and transmission for all line up of super duty, just the rear end changes and suspensions.

The third generation Ram truck 2002-2009 had a horrible rust issue. It carried over until 2010 when they did something different, no idea other than I told the salesman if it rusted out in a few years he better be up to date on his tetanus because of where I would park it.

The exhaust studs breaking off are still an issue. The same issue Ford had with the same design for the life of the 4.6, 5.4, continuing with the 6.8 v10. Steel manifold with aluminum head. Metals expand at different rates and over time stuff breaks.

I’ve owned them all, bought new Chevy, Ford, and Ram over the years. If you want trouble free I suggest buying something brand new and parking it in the garage to look at and it will never give you trouble. Other than that it will break and will have to be fixed.

Reactions: bholler
Some food for thought, I read somewhere that the diesel prices are going to spike in the near future. ALL maritime diesels will be required to run low sulfur, that in turn will create a "shortage". And we all know what that will bring to consumers.

Do some research before buying a diesel. It may be true, it may be fake news.

Yes but where in the rpm range are they making power? Trucks need low end power your car doesnt it works better with a more even power band.