2018 Garage Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It seems big now once it's filled you probably wish u went bigger. That is human nature though, especially being a guy you can never have to big of a outdoor building! On your tractor do u have sight glass for the hydraulic reading or do u have a dip stick?

It seems big now once it's filled you probably wish u went bigger. That is human nature though, especially being a guy you can never have to big of a outdoor building! On your tractor do u have sight glass for the hydraulic reading or do u have a dip stick?
No sight glass on the 4540, just a dipstick. You always can use more room but this will be fine for what we need.

We had some rain overnight which was nice and that stopped this morning just before they started work, they'll have the trusses up today unless some heavy rain moves in.

Reactions: heavy hammer
They finished putting up the last truss before 11:30 a.m. so maybe they'll get some plywood up on the roof since they have the JBL lift here, pictures later.

I wish I had a dip stick for the 2540 that sight glass is tough to get close. First it's hard to find a level area to put the tractor, and then get an accurate read on it. Hope the rain holds out till you get the roof done.

I wish I had a dip stick for the 2540 that sight glass is tough to get close. First it's hard to find a level area to put the tractor, and then get an accurate read on it. Hope the rain holds out till you get the roof done.
I just saw on the Weather Channel that our area is in the red zone tomorrow with possible high winds and hail, they haven't started on the plywood yet so it won't get finished today.

The stuff that's not here on site is the siding,metal roof,snow stops,windows and the man door. I would think that it will be done around or before the third week of August.

The plywood has been going up pretty good so maybe they'll finish that today, I'll put up some pictures after they're done for the day.

Last edited:
They finished putting up the plywood on one side today, hopefully mother nature will wait until tomorrow in the p.m. before the rains start so they can finish the opposite side. They did get the felt paper down on the side they finished..

Just a few pictures of the work done today.

001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 101_1699.JPG 101_1700.JPG 101_1701.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Things done today, the plywood went up on the other side of the roof, drip edge, the soffit on the sides are done and some of the garage door install was done. I think the boss went to pick the metal roof up so I'm thinking that might get done tomorrow or Friday.

Things done today, the plywood went up on the other side of the roof, drip edge, the soffit on the sides are done and some of the garage door install was done. I think the boss went to pick the metal roof up so I'm thinking that might get done tomorrow or Friday.
Why did they sheet it for metal? That is never done here

I have seen metal rust from the back side if there is no ventilation provided. That is why they always put down stringers here
A person down the road had this contractor do their roof over 15 years ago (he did it the same way) they haven't had any problems but I hear ya.

They did the wiring inside the garage so on Monday, the siding goes up. Hopefully the tractor is in the garage by the end of this coming week but before that I'll need to bring up the grade on the slab entering garage.

I'm not sure but I might need some crusher run and then some crushed stone, after that is done then we'll get some topsoil in so we can get some grass going before September hits which is usually a wet month for us.

Tomorrow I'll be using the 22 inch model magnetic sweep around the garage before I get any vehicle around it, I did the front of the garage yesterday afternoon and the thing works great. I will rake the areas that I go over with a rake and run the sweep over it again just in case there are any more nails or screws.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-magnetic-sweeper-with-wheels-93245.html

Nice garage! Looks great.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nice garage! Looks great.
Thanks @heavy hammer , anything is an upgrade from keeping it outside. I'll miss those 20 below days starting it outside.:)

We'll need to make a decision on what we'll put up on the walls on the inside after we insulate it, not all will be done this year. I think the area we'll do this year will be the back wall where the work table will go.

Thanks @heavy hammer , anything is an upgrade from keeping it outside. I'll miss those 20 below days starting it outside.:)

We'll need to make a decision on what we'll put up on the walls on the inside after we insulate it, not all will be done this year. I think the area we'll do this year will be the back wall where the work table will go.
I've used painted OSB in my last two shops. It takes some time to get it fitted tight without tape an joint compound, but it can be done, and it gives a wonderfully durable surface for a shop. If you want to save a bunch of time, roll the primer and first coat before hanging it, that way you can avoid cutting in on those two coats.

Excuse the mess, this was move-in day, after completing the build. Of course, it's neater (but dustier) now.

IMG_7962.JPG

I've used painted OSB in my last two shops. It takes some time to get it fitted tight without tape an joint compound, but it can be done, and it gives a wonderfully durable surface for a shop. If you want to save a bunch of time, roll the primer and first coat before hanging it, that way you can avoid cutting in on those two coats.

Excuse the mess, this was move-in day, after completing the build. Of course, it's neater (but dustier) now.

View attachment 228537
That looks really nice ashful. I doubt that we'll paint it this year but we'll see.

We did the clearing of trees in the area the garage is on so we have plenty of softwood (pine) and some hardwood in log length that will need bucking up before winter, our lots a mess. We have close to two years of pine stacked with another 5 plus years in log length that needs some saw attention.

Once the structure is up you have time to finish the inside, good rainy or winter work. Take care of the stuff outside first, while the weather is good.

My first shop was also done in OSB, and like you, I said I’d paint it later. It was too dark, I was constantly struggling with lighting, when shooting paint or doing finish work. When I moved out of there more than a dozen years later, I still hadn’t gotten around to painting it.

It’s so fast and easy, while it’s still empty, it becomes a much bigger job after you move the equipment in.

Totally. If you paint it before you put it up..spray it. Goes one heavier and takes zero time. Especially if you don't have to watch were you spray.

I have a bit of a hate for OSB. I think I have seen it absorb moisture too many times and swell. I think I would use plywood and accept its imperfections as rustic charm.

I have seen metal rust from the back side if there is no ventilation provided. That is why they always put down stringers here
Can you elaborate on what you mean? What do you mean by stringers? And why would metal roofing rust in this situation? Moisture trying to get out because of no venting?

Can you elaborate on what you mean? What do you mean by stringers? And why would metal roofing rust in this situation? Moisture trying to get out because of no venting?
Horizontal boards run under the metal that allows for airflow.

And there will be water that condenses on the back side of that metal with heat changes. If there is nowhere for it to go it sits there trapped against the metal.

See my barn, before finishing. What bholler calls stringers, we call furring, around here.

IMG_2800.jpg

They ran the power to the garage today and did some grading along with cleaning their stuff out of the garage, they'll be back tomorrow and finish up a few smaller things.

Today I finished what we used for the base of the entrance entering the new garage and we were able to get 10 ton of 3/4 inch crusher run, I was ble to get the crusher run down in front of the garage door so we can enter the garage.

I hand tamped everything first, the second tamping was done with the rhino and the last was with the 4540. Tomorrow I'll get some wood cut so when I put the stabilizers and bucket down on the backhoe, they will rest on the boards and not the cement. Tonight will be the last time it spends outside covered.

Today I finished what we used for the base of the entrance entering the new garage and we were able to get 10 ton of 3/4 inch crusher run, I was ble to get the crusher run down in front of the garage door so we can enter the garage.

I hand tamped everything first, the second tamping was done with the rhino and the last was with the 4540. Tomorrow I'll get some wood cut so when I put the stabilizers and bucket down on the backhoe, they will rest on the boards and not the cement. Tonight will be the last time it spends outside covered.

Attachments

• 101_1728.JPG
    101_1728.JPG
    531.7 KB · Views: 215