2018 Garage Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A friend just installed a pole building, and he’s having an issue with the door jamming, now that the slab is heaving a bit. It seems this builder (who only does pole buildings, and seems to do them by the hundreds per year) tied the jack studs and header that frame the door to the metal siding, which is tied to the poles, sunk in the ground. As the slab moves relative to those poles, specifically as it heaves up toward winter, it pushes up on the door sill and jams the door.

I suggested he disconnect the steel siding from the framing around the door, and just capture it to the framing with the door casing, so that the door can move with the slab, independently of the poles and siding. Not sure how others have handled this, but it seems to me pole buildings are not the best option for a fully-finished structure. They’re great for agricultural use, but if going for a fully-insulated and climate controlled structure, I think I’d want to stick to traditional framing.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
A friend just installed a pole building, and he’s having an issue with the door jamming, now that the slab is heaving a bit. It seems this builder (who only does pole buildings, and seems to do them by the hundreds per year) tied the jack studs and header that frame the door to the metal siding, which is tied to the poles, sunk in the ground. As the slab moves relative to those poles, specifically as it heaves up toward winter, it pushes up on the door sill and jams the door.

I suggested he disconnect the steel siding from the framing around the door, and just capture it to the framing with the door casing, so that the door can move with the slab, independently of the poles and siding. Not sure how others have handled this, but it seems to me pole buildings are not the best option for a fully-finished structure. They’re great for agricultural use, but if going for a fully-insulated and climate controlled structure, I think I’d want to stick to traditional framing.

The friend who had his barn built in the traditional stud based styled system also had it spray foam insulated,wall and ceiling, (floored then sheathed from below after the spray foam, and wall sprayed then sheathed). I swear if you are in there and someone farts your ears will pop.

The friend who had his barn built in the traditional stud based styled system also had it spray foam insulated,wall and ceiling, (floored then sheathed from below after the spray foam, and wall sprayed then sheathed). I swear if you are in there and someone farts your ears will pop.

Yeah, my barn is an old 18th-century timber frame structure, which I studded out and spray foamed. With all new windows and doors, it is damn tight. Not the greatest scenario when I’m welding out there (the smoke will hang in the building for more than a full day) or using automotive solvents, but it’s nearly free to heat and cool it.

The installer gave me more than I paid for, a full 6” thick on ceiling and 4” - 6” thick on walls. I hope I never have to touch the wiring in that place, it’ll be a nightmare for whoever has to do that, 80 years from now.

mine is not looking as big as I hoped.... why is it that it looks so much bigger on the plans?
fp9TfzE3naWKrEFH4fTT6xP5y61feaMjfTHNr2m4MM60nldB4MDXzBnuYvxgEAFYgKSnJSoPvqZ9KaTuY-u=w835-h626-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thewoodlands
I did get the last coat of Thompson's on the concrete blocks on the new garage today so they should be ready for rain or snow.

Hopefully this week or next we'll get the work tables and storage shelves up inside so we can put things where they belong and not on the garage floor.

Around the man door along with the windows were insulated today and I also put some silicone in the areas that needed it around the outside outlets.

I've been taking advantage of this nice weather to get some better hardwoods off the hills so we haven't done any of the work tables or storage in the new garage.

With all the rain coming in this week, we'll get the work tables up before this Thursday.

With my Plantar Fasciitis, I've been trying to stay off the cement floor but with white stuff in the forecast it was time to get some shelving up. They're 24 inches deep, 74 inches long with the shelves being 24 inches apart. We have 2 x 4's screwed into the studs for support on the back.

I'll give myself a few days or more before we put the work table up.

Attachments

• 101_2036.JPG
    101_2036.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 164
It seems that when we planned on putting up the work tables in the garage, we always had something else come up but tomorrow we plan on putting them up with some storage shelves underneath.