2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not new to cat wood stove burning but I am new to running the blaze king king.

I've been using it for about a month now and its been working fine.

Its tacking a while to figure out how low I can turn down the thermostat but i'm getting it figured out.

my question is, what is the general consensus of the blaze king king users with regards north south vs. east west loading.

If I load north south it seams to burn the wood through the middle of the stove quicker and leaves wood on the sides burning much slower.

if I load east west it seams to block the air through the middle causing it to burn a little more even through the stove.

Is that something most king users are finding? Because i'm usually always stuffing my box full north south and it all burns down evenly inside the box.

My king doesn't seam to burn the whole load evenly. When I go to do a hot reload, I will always have the sides with coals much less completely burned than the middle of the stove.

Thanks for any input or suggestions from king king burners.

I'm not new to cat wood stove burning but I am new to running the blaze king king.

Its tacking a while to figure out how low I can turn down the thermostat but i'm getting it figured out.

my question is, what is the general consensus of the blaze king king users with regards north south vs. east west loading.

If I load north south it seams to burn the wood through the middle of the stove quicker and leaves wood on the sides burning much slower.

if I load east west it seams to block the air through the middle causing it to burn a little more even through the stove.

Is that something most king users are finding? Because i'm usually always stuffing my box full north south and it all burns down evenly inside the box.

My king doesn't seam to burn the whole load evenly. When I go to do a hot reload, I will always have the sides with coals much less completely burned than the middle of the stove.

First thing to check is that the ash plug is in place correctly. I have the princess and it is the same design so so. It is normal what you are seeing. Sometimes the sides wood are against the side walls and it can cause this effect due to air not moving as good/easy like in the center . That is my explanation/theory.
Also try to load more tight in the center and see if that makes a difference. I do like N/S better than E/W, it is easy to load and fill the gaps.

Been running mine 5 seasons now, what you are seeing is normal..
I prefer north south, but like tonight I’ll be loading longer splits east west..
when I load east west, I try and make a trench in the ash front to back to allow better airflow..

I also have a princess in the garage, it behaves the same, only a smaller version..

Reactions: rdust
than be burning a load for awhile with bypass open to get rid of some moist.
That is asking for trouble running the risk of a chimney fire that who knows what can be the outcome.....With the BK, those flames shooting straight thru the bypass, and straight up the chimney is a no no for me.
As long the cat is active and new load start catching up, bypass will be closed.
The thing ain't totally automatic, ya know...you can cut the air so you don't have too big a flame in the box. ;) That's what I do at least. I might have the air wide open for a couple minutes, but in short order I cut it to 3/4, then 1/2 or less until the stove is up to temp and I throw the bypass lever.
He cant work outside when temps are above 90
I would rather work above 90, than down in the teens like he has talked about. I ingest anti-freeze but it doesn't work when it's that cold out. ;)
anything Ashful can’t do?
He can't waste time, and he can't take the financial hit of selling his Ashfords and getting some serious flame-throwers in there. ;lol
Monday I stopped in at the dealer I purchased my stove from because never returned any of my calls, I wanted to order door and glass gaskets so he wrote down what I wanted and my info and said " I will get back to you".
Called 3 other bk dealers same day that was somewhat close to me, one of them would only sell it to me if they installed it, Another wanted Model and and Serial Number and where I purchased the stove :eek:, they said it is because BK asks for this info when they order. Then I was told they changed the door size on the stoves and had to make sure I ordered the correct gaskets:confused:. No call backs from the other.
Sic BKVP on 'em. He has guns. ;)

Reactions: Smolder
Calling BKVP
I need names of these dealers in a PM please. There is some truth that door gaskets are different between some models...but that would be 1980's models at 1.25" and today's at 7/8". So there are King and Princess models that used both. Our staff asks which model so stove owner gets what they need.

Thank you.

PS. I have 17 flights in next 5 months, so may be bit slow to respond. I can ALWAYS be emailed at [email protected]

Thank you

Im new here but im beginning to wonder if there’s anything Ashful can’t do?
I never learned to do a proper cartwheel.
According to everyone I have talked to in the industry wet wood is a major cause of mechanical failure of ceramic cats
I bet sweeps see a ton of this, from people who don’t read their manuals... or wood burning forums. But I wasn’t exaggerating when I said it’s easily avoided with a little care, either. I’m sure you see all sorts of user-inflicted damage in your line of work, both cat and non-cat, that those who take the time to operate things properly could easily avoid.
If I load dry wood (no surface moisture) but is say 22% - 25% moisture into a hot stove, close door and immediately close cat, am I risking cat damage if that is a regular pattern?

I thought if the cat was active, bypass gets closed no matter what. I also though the bypass is open only in anticipation of opening the door on reload, and then only stays open till the thermometer goes active.
It’s best to open the bypass several minutes before you open the door, such as when you grab your totes before heading outside to grab some fresh wood, to let the cat cool a bit and warm the chimney so the stove won’t burp smoke when you open the door. Likewise, it’s best to let the fresh cold wood catch in bypass 5 - 10 minutes after loading, to avoid putting cold exhaust thru a hot cat. This is more a mechanical CTE issue with ceramic cats, but I suspect even steel cats may do well to not put cold particulate exhaust thru them.

Can’t operate small chainsaws
Hey... I have a T435 top handle that’s only 36cc!

Just snapped this for anyone who wants to claim BKs are boring black boxes.

99300E80-C473-4002-9815-53206D571746.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 17 flights in next 5 months, so may be bit slow to respond.
Are these single-barrel "flights?" ;) If so, pick me up on your way. I'm assuming your plane will already be "fueled." ==c

Reactions: Ashful
I never learned to do a proper cartwheel.
C'mon, man, quit jivin' us. You're a drummer, a skill which requires a very high degree of physical coordination. ==c
before heading outside to grab some fresh wood
Whoa, back up the truck podner. We've been telling 'em for several pages now that they need seasoned wood, not fresh. ;)

Edited to reflect the latest data...
  • Can't work outside when the temperature is over 90
  • Can't burn pine
  • Can only operate small chainsaws under duress, such as when dangling from a tree
  • Can't do proper cartwheel
  • You missed some data. ;lol
1578545223431.png

Geez... what is worrying is not that they sell firewood at such a ridiculous price, but that there’s people who buy it...

MEDIA = youtube
You built those nice, new sheds just in time! ;lol
Typical wood-monger..he never actually says it's dry wood. ;lol And I want a discount if he's gonna trim off all the built-in kindling! ==c
I guess some folks have money to burn.. ;)

The first clue is the banner at the top that says "CBC Comedy" ;)

I don't think I'm joking when I say there'd be a large local market for that, though. Just tell 'em it's more expensive and offer them the chance to brag that it's more expensive, and you have yourself a sale. Maybe it'd come with a sign to hang on the chimney proclaiming the emissions to be "PREMIUM Artisinal Smoke", so the neighbors could swoon in jealousy.

Reactions: Ashful
WTF! I’m at work, wife text me handle on stove is stuck. This happened when it was new in October. The nut and bolt seem to tighten up on the handle, making it real hard to operate handle. I loosened it and all was well. Is this going to be a recurring problem. Anyone else?

The nut and bolt seem to tighten up on the handle, making it real hard to operate handle
I had the nut fall off and the bolt backed off
a month ago, handle angled off to the right and would not close,
scared my kid all to heck cause the load of wood caught pretty
quick, took longer to find the nut then to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.