2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Birds always appreciate when they can bypass cats!

59426AE7-59A5-450B-8411-124E8CEBF5CF.jpeg

In case anyone wondered how much and what kind of debris accumulates behind the metal internal side shields on a princess. It’s about a quart of flakes.

The firebricks really took a beating this year with the heavy clinkering Doug fir. Lots of the clinkers fused to the firebrick and then ripped the firebrick apart. It’s at least 1/4” eroded. More firebox volume! Starting to think I’ll need to replace some bricks before long.

20089550-4677-4EC3-B400-59ACD712C5FC.jpeg135EB351-20CF-4C80-A017-40A2F4C28102.jpeg3E497779-7CD1-41B2-BCAC-7B811DCB4C32.jpeg

I didn't realize that there was such a heated debate about bricks! Has anyone replaced the OEM pumice looking firebricks with regular off the shelf high density firebricks from stores like tractor supply? Our fireboxes run much cooler than a noncat which may or may not make the insulative value of pumice more important. My soapstone noncat stove, and almost all woodstocks, have actual soapstone in the firebox.

I didn't realize that there was such a heated debate about bricks! Has anyone replaced the OEM pumice looking firebricks with regular off the shelf high density firebricks from stores like tractor supply? Our fireboxes run much cooler than a noncat which may or may not make the insulative value of pumice more important. My soapstone noncat stove, and almost all woodstocks, have actual soapstone in the firebox.
That would be an untested configuration and fall outside of the UL cert. I would be hesitant to do that.

I'll have to see how hard it is to find pumice bricks.

They should be sold by the local stove shop in Lakewood or online.

They should be sold by the local stove shop in Lakewood or online.

That's a good price and source. The bricks on the sides of a princess, due to the weird shape of the steel firebox are not supported from behind. The side bricks sort of bridge that weird void created by the big mac box shape of the stove. This means that when you pack the stove full you are depending on the brick's strength while only supported on each end like a bridge. Further, stuff seems to accumulate behind the bricks in that void space. One of my side bricks up front is very broken but stays put so does not need to be immediately replaced. I pulled it out and cleaned behind it. No corrosion but lots of creosote flakes.

I might make it one more year. The BK part # is PP1901 for the bricks. Several sources but none as cheap as the one you found. I will also try "my" BK dealer when it's time. There are many bricks and supposedly 2 layers on the floor. My theory is that it helps them maintain the no R-value spark protection only hearth requirement, plus maybe some quicker warm up so yeah, I'll spend the extra bucks for pumice. I'm counting almost 40 bricks in this thing if all needed replacement!

Be careful with the bricks folks.

Can you take the broken bricks and swap them with floor bricks?

Can you take the broken bricks and swap them with floor bricks?

I’m a frugal guy but not cheap! Lots of bricks are cut in this stove so I’m not sure. In an emergency or if the virus stops all shipping this winter then yes, I would make a floor brick work.

Right now my wood stacks are being used to dry garlic!
5C9338C0-9E78-4AE0-921B-BB20229AA9D2.jpeg

Reactions: Nelson
There'll be no vampires stealing that wood! Reminds me that I need to harvest ours too.

Reactions: Highbeam
Reactions: webby3650
You are entered for a chance at a $100 gift card, it can help with epa testing methods as well as other decisions the EPA makes that don’t really add up in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: charger4406
The end is near!

I donned my first flannel shirt of autumn today, wore it all day. The air had the little icy blades of cold air in it that go with Old Man Winter waking up.

Won't be much longer till we have a new thread going.

Reactions: kennyp2339
8 deg C yesterday morning. Winter is coming ;lol (quoting Game of Thrones)

The end is near!

I donned my first flannel shirt of autumn today, wore it all day. The air had the little icy blades of cold air in it that go with Old Man Winter waking up.

Won't be much longer till we have a new thread going.
You know what you got to do, its waiting for you, be the first again.

100F in shade here....on my Fairbanks thermometer.

Attachments

• 20200805_124228.jpg
    20200805_124228.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Mech e and Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.